Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Japlytic, thanks much for validating that rumor I was hearing about some Feds dissing Vista. It is hard to imagine a government agency having enough smarts to avoid sticking their paw into a vipers' nest, but I am heartened to see there are evidently a few of them.

IMO, Vista should never be installed on anything except new, high performance hardware.

I have an increasing number of clients who, for various reasons, are forced into buying a new machine, and then pay me to remove Vista and intall their old version of XP. As of this writing, Dell is still selling Business class machines with XP Pro. A client just ordered an Optiplex 745 with this XP. Intel duo-core, 1033 MHz FSB, etc.

Comment

damn i shouldve bought a laptop last month. if i get one now i will remove vista and put pirate XP pro
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Dell is still selling Business class desktops and laptops with XP Pro installed. As of this writing, I have one of each on the bench being prepped for their owners.

There are plenty of VLA copies of XP Pro available.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin

IMO, Vista should never be installed on anything except new, high performance hardware.
          But Vista ALSO doesn't work with "high performance hardware", if you have Geforce 8800 SLi it won't work, if you have more than 2GB RAM it doesn't work. (allegedly)

If you do manage to have a configuration without problems everything runs slower! upto 70% slower!

So far I feel the best feature of Vista is abililty to address more memory (potentially), although none such exists and wouldn't work if it did.

In a few years when DDR3/4 and RAM modules are 32GB each maybe then Vista would be viable, even perform as good as a childs PC running XP, or even run games and applications as fast as a W98 Duron/Geforce2 GTS.
          Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

A good read on Vista Performance:
            http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
            CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
            GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Lawsuit alleges Microsoft misled on Vista
              http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...n/17022525.htm
              CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
              GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

The suit is “Kelley v. Microsoft Corporation, Case No. 2:07-cv-00475-MJP,” filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington under Judge Marsha J. Pechman.

Representing the plaintiff is Gordon Murray Tilden, LLP, 1001 4th Ave., Ste. 4000, Seattle, WA 98154, Phone: 206-467-6477, Fax: 206-467-6292, E-mail: office@gmtlaw.com, Web site: http://www.gmtlaw.com.

Comment

http://badvista.fsf.org/

Nuff Said.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                      we have a similar disk filer for aol and windows disks.
                      a big chrome one made by amana!

Comment

i have garbage bin across the street. much fun from 3rd floor.

Comment

Hahaha, never seen one of those, I must get one!

Hillarious!
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Uhmm......

If anyone is interested here is the actual complaint.

http://z23.zupload.com/download.php?...filepath=58723

Comment

With all new Windows releases, I've been worried about this... hasn't happened yet, but it could well do with Vista!

MS could somehow make the previous version of Windows 'expire' and say you must install the next version to continue using your computer. The code for this would probably be hidden in one of the automatic 'security update' packages they put on Windows Update.

Imagine starting your PC one day and it says "Windows XP has expired. You must now install Windows Vista." with two buttons, 'Install Vista' and 'Shut Down'. I wouldn't put it past MS to do something like that!
                              You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Buy a Mac

or...

Install Linux

Comment

Windows hacks are not like brain surgery. Any copyright/serial key/expiration /root kit(did I say that out loud?) crap Microsoft can come up with, a hack for it will soon follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom41

MS could somehow make the previous version of Windows 'expire' and say you must install the next version to continue using your computer.
                                    Here's a link below about Windows XP Home (and Media Center) having a deadline for support. I, personally, am considering migrating to another OS eventually - Linux or Mac (or both?).

Microsoft Watch - Operating Systems - Consumer Windows XP Gets ...

Under the revised life-cycle guidelines, Windows XP Home and Media Center support will end on the second Tuesday in April 2009, and extended support will ...

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982
                                      UPDATE:
                                      The lawsuit was just granted class-action status. More trouble for M$.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi

Comment

Wow I just found this thread. Where have I been?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the solution to Vista is Linux. It does need a little work though. I would not feel comfortable installing it on a customer machine just yet, for instance. But it's on a few computers here, I'm learning, and working out the issues I have with it. When I feel that I would be comfortable supporting it, then I will be recommending it as an alternative to Vista (where appropriate).

I have a new computer, and I wont run Vista on it. Even though I have a copy sitting right here. I had it on my previous computer (dual core Opteron) and I found it to be a buggy, slow, bloated POS. I still laugh about John Dvorak's "...lipstick on a pig" comment.

So far, Fedora and XP64 are working fine on my computer, and I very rarely boot into windows. I think it's been at least a week.

Just to put out there a shameless plug, support your local PC builders! Especially since they can still get XP.
                                        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

For instance, she said that the plaintiffs could not pursue a class-action lawsuit on the basis that consumers had been deceived because "an individualized analysis is necessary to determine what role Microsoft's 'Windows Vista Capable' marketing program played in each class members' purchasing decision."

However, she said it was appropriate for plaintiffs to argue as a class that Microsoft had artificially inflated demand -- and prices -- for computers only capable of running Vista Home Basic by marketing them as "Windows Vista Capable."
                                          this doesn't sit well with me. by those standards, i think m$ will slide out from this one....
                                          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                                          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Working...
                                          X