X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google paying AdblockPlus to unblock their ads

http://phandroid.com/2015/02/02/goog...ock-their-ads/

Re: bastards

That explains why ADP wasn't working on some sites today... I'm OK with ads as long as they aren't "in the way". If it's like a billboard on the highway, fine... if it's like a "free vacation" style IN YOUR FACE kind of thing, screw that crap.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Damn, that's lame. But, are you surprised?

Comment

two words: hosts. file.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Re: Google paying AdblockPlus to unblock their ads

A more descriptive title is in order methinks.

and darn it!! The main reason I use ABP is to get around those stupid spewtube ads!
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
            two words: hosts. file.
            or a local DNS on your home server (if you have one).
            Last edited by ddscentral; 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM.

Comment

some browsers including Opera have a block-list you can add addresses to.

mine:
              *ad4game.*
              *adbrite.*
              *addthis.com*
              *adimage.guardian.co.uk*
              *adjug.com*
              *ads.guardian.co.uk*
              *ads.webmedia.co.il*
              *adserver.aol.fr*
              *adshuffle.com*
              *advertserve.com*
              *casalemedia.*
              *clicksor.com*
              *complete.com*
              *contextweb.com*
              *digg.com*
              *doubleclick.*
              *dsparking.*
              *dsultra.com
              *fastclick.*
              *fbcdn.com*
              *google-analytics.*
              *googlesyndication*
              *googletagservices.com*
              *infolinks.com*
              *invitemedia.com*
              *iperceptions.com*
              *layer-ads.*
              *logp.xiti.com*
              *lycos.com/catman/*
              *lycos.com/w/*
              *media-clic.com*
              *mediaplex.com*
              *megaclick.*
              *ministerial5.com*
              *mjxads.*
              *owneriq.net*
              *oxado.*
              *partypoker.*
              *pro-market.net*
              *qnsr.com*
              *quantserve.com*
              *redemptionservice.com*
              *royalflush.de*
              *scorecardresearch.com*
              *searchremagnified.com*
              *searchtermresults.com*
              *simplyfwd.com*
              *snap.*
              *spylog.com*
              *static.guim.co.uk/static/75218/common/scripts/sophusThree-tracking.js*
              *stumbleupon.com*
              *switchadhub.com*
              *tracking101.com*
              *tripod.com/adm/*
              *webtrends.com*
              *yieldmanager.com*
              *.adblade.com*
              *.taboola*
              *.supplyframe.com*
              *.begun.ru*=
              *.ucoz.net*
              *fbstatic*
              *facebook.*
              *.adnxs.*
              *.sitesense-oo.com*
              *crowdscience*
              *nster.*
              *.adzerk.*
              *.sitescoutadserver.*
              *.googleadservices.*
              *.zemanta.*
              *.redirecter.*
              *.intellitxt.*
              *.buysellads.*
              *.undertone.*
              *.amazon-adsystem.*
              *.cpmstar.*
              *.content.*
              *.quantcast.*
              *.flashtalking.*
              *.zincx.*
              *.zedo.*
              http://trinitymirror.grapeshot.co.uk/*
              *.dianomi.*
              *.mnetads.*
              *.outbrain.*
              *.adriver.*
              *.zergnet.*

Comment

Use a hosts file.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Use a hosts file.
                  Isn't that what we've been sayin' for years?

As you know, this isn't the first instance of the "never-backstabbing, always honest" AdAllowMinus letting stuff through.
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

And Microsoft 'compels' antivirus companies to detect benign software used to circumvent activation as viruses.
                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                      And Microsoft 'compels' antivirus companies to detect benign software used to circumvent activation as viruses.
                      I have a 'loader' for win7, which MSSE detects the executable as 'hackware'. once installed, you can remove the exe, and nothing detects it.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom
                        Isn't that what we've been sayin' for years?
                        Nawwww! U SERIUZZZ?

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        and darn it!! The main reason I use ABP is to get around those stupid spewtube ads!
                        The hosts file still works for that, even if you haven't updated it for a while.

I still don't see any annoying pre-play commercials on YouTube even with Opera where I don't have ABP.
                        Yahoo! are clever motherf***ers, though. Some of their small logo ads pre-render in what seems like a script on the page... and this goes around my hosts file even if I directly block the website that the ad comes from. The only way to do it is to block very very specific URLs - but that will keep me busy for a while if I try it. The other way is to block Yahoo images - but then Yahoo looks like crap.

By the way, according to that article, is the French Internet Advertising Bureau suing ABP because it is blocking the ads or because it is allowing them? Me thinks the former, but now that I read the article again, it doesn't specify. If it's the former, I can foresee another reason for a strike in France... As if they didn't have enough
                        Just saying. No offense to our French members here, okay.
                        Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2015, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Instead of playing with your hosts file. Just tick the box in ABP !!
                          They don't make a big secret of allowing for paid adverts or how to block them.

And for those that are worried about privacy install Ghostery.
                          Last edited by diif; 02-04-2015, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                            I still don't see any annoying pre-play commercials on YouTube even with Opera where I don't have ABP.
                            I used Opera for a long time and left it a couple of years ago when their latest browser didn't support bookmarks.

Anyway, the old Opera team are back with

https://vivaldi.com/

For alternative adblockers, I have had good results with adguard and ublock. Adguard let's you opt out of whitelisted advertisers easily. Ublock is open source and basically a one man show, but so far it works and is pretty lightweight.
                            Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-04-2015, 02:00 AM.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Isn't this crap the reason Adblock Edge exists?
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

This feature is to persuade advertisers to adverise tastefully, none of that full screen playing sounds crap. Some users are happy to enable ads on certain sites to support then.

This feature is not new and as ABP themselves say it can be disabled/enabled with a check box.

Comment

I see no ads using Google with AdBlockPlus. As someone in the discussion on that site said it depends on settings so maybe that's the case. I'm using FF under Lubuntu and ABP with default settings. The only issue I've seen is if I open FF and go directly to gmail I'll get an ad at the top but if I wait a few seconds for ABP to fisnish loading in FF then go to gmail there are no ads.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    This feature is to persuade advertisers to adverise tastefully, none of that full screen playing sounds crap. Some users are happy to enable ads on certain sites to support then.
                                    Yes.
                                    I believe I have it off. The non-intrusive ads on Google don't bother me too much. But those stupid videos and banners that take over your screen and start playing a video - the makers of those need to be sent to a labor camp for a year for that.

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                                    I used Opera for a long time and left it a couple of years ago when their latest browser didn't support bookmarks
                                    Their newer browsers are all based on the Chrome/Chromium engine, that's why. I'm using only versions 12 and older, which still have bookmarks and the good old functional Opera look. Keep in mind, though, that if you use those older versions, many websites don't work on them anymore - especially if they use HTTPS (though not all). You'll get a "Unable to complete secure transaction". I never figured how to go about that, so I use it only for some websites. Some scripts and flash content is also starting to mess with it.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

The only site that i care about to block those damn adds is (FirstRawsports) where i watch my favorite soccer streams , and for that Google Chrome and ad-block Plus is my good friend,
                                      i can't say the same about Firefox and others.At least i don't know how to block them,i love Google Chrome and ABP for that.

Comment

You can install Adblock plus in Firefox through the addons menu. Works just as well or better than in Chrome.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X