Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need A recap??

hi

my computer recently started to behave very differently. It shut off while im using it, not completely just the monitor. It goes from a green light to orange light asif it was in standby but its not. the computer stayson but the mnitor goes off. whatever im doing stops and the monitorgoes off.

when it first started i would just turn the computer off then back on and everything would be good now...it wont even com back on...sometimesit will though but it will take about 5 times before it does though

i turn it on and i see the dell screen, then nothing

i opened the computer and checked the caps...all the 1s with x's(about 5 in total) on them are "domed" the rest are flat these 5 or so are next to the power supply. is this causing my probelm? do i need a recap?

please help

thank you

Re: Do I need A recap??

Yes, you need to replace the bad caps.

Comment

how do i find out what brand of mother board i have and wat model?

Comment

you mean motherboard on your pc? you can try cpuz, it may or may not recognize your mobo brand/model. sisoft sandra is usefull too. but more easier usually is to find it by opening the case...
        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I see yours is a Dell. What model/type of Dell you have? Search for "Dell" in this forum maybe you will find/see a similar board by pictures...
          Last edited by yanz; 06-26-2006, 10:54 PM. Reason: typo
          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

In keeping with the 'Dell Ideology' (low priced computers) I'd say you had on-board (integrated on motherboard) graphics, which is why your video signal is effected so by a compromised motherboard (bulging capacitors)

If this unit is still under warranty, I'd be sending it straight back... however as you've sought out this forum I'd have to assume it's no longer within the warranty period

Where about are you located with the world? if you happen to be situated in the US or Canada (and don't wish to repair it yourself), there are service providers who can rectifiy the issue with your motherboard, one such company is the host of this very forum, their main page can be found HERE

BTW welcome to the forums
            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

16 years

Comment

Originally posted by sec4allstar133 View Post
                16 years
                So it took you 16 years to decide if you need to recap that PC?

Comment

Working...
                X