This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

I made a silly lowball offer on a NOS VP6 still in the box lst night. Woke up this morning to an acceptance. I really didn't think the seller would go that low....I was expecting a decline or a counter-offer....and it's only monday morning!! I take VP6's and make retro 3DFX rigs out of them and sell them on occasion. When complete, recapped, and paired with a 3DFX card (voodoo3 usually), they sell for a nice profit.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Again stereo equipment, a freebie Mitsubishi. I need a schematic, hifiengine does not have it. It's a DA-U56X.
      Attached Files

Comment

damn that must be rare - hardly anything online about it.
        is it really 540w? i doubt it, but you never know.
        specially if thats total of both channels.

Comment

Today's score is a HEN modded PS3 slim, CECH-2503B datecode 1A, with a genuine blue Dualshock 3, 8 games, two thicc HDMI cables (EXTRA THICC I may add), AC cord. Runs HEN 4.88.

Can be CFW modded so probably the HEN mod was done before the bgtoolset exploit was available.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

you dont actually need BG online, there is a cutdown version you run on your own webserver - or even a router

Comment

I prefer the online version since it's updated constantly and I do check logs on each unit.

(that's how I landed on a BC enabled CECHC04 that just needs tantalums in place of the TOKINs - whole log is FULL of just 1001 and 1002 errors.)
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

have you seen the little pcb's that hold the tantalums and a few ceramics and has the same footprint as the tokins? i saw a guy on twitch fitting them.
                it makes fitting a lot faster.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  have you seen the little pcb's that hold the tantalums and a few ceramics and has the same footprint as the tokins? i saw a guy on twitch fitting them.
                  it makes fitting a lot faster.
                  computerbooter and ace console repairs both on youtube are making the pcbs he has uploaded pcb layout so people can get them made i think

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    damn that must be rare - hardly anything online about it.
                    is it really 540w? i doubt it, but you never know.
                    specially if thats total of both channels.
                    2x70W @ 8ohms I think.

Comment

Pulled a bunch out of a school today.

Couple nice PC's, a 10th gen I5 HP, a custom I7 (not sure what gen, but new enough for DDR4 so it has to be 6th atleast). It had a GTX1060 in it as well. Also got a big pile of chromebooks & metal-body network gear....and the usual pile of breeding small monitors that will go to the scrappers.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                        VIA 694X instead of 815, but hey, at least I didn't have to deal with such a castrated 815 mainboard - no more 512 MB limitation was a big plus
                        yeah, with 1.5gb ram max on the via boards, the latest version of windows that can be installed on those is win7 32 bit, since win7 is the last version of windows to require an sse cpu. tho finding an agp video card that win7 can run on with aero enabled is another challenge for yourself. and will win7 run apps acceptably on a p3 cpu is yet another question to answer.

for me, i looked at the via chipset boards too and liked them but i was doubtful if they were too good to be true and looked harder and more thoroughly at them for quid pro quos with those via boards and it seems that the via southbridges mostly can do only ata66 speeds. only some of the tualatin capable 694t chipset boards had a revised via southbridge that could do ata100 speeds.

since i intended to do a p3 build with an ssd, the ata66 speeds may bottleneck the ssd seriously, so i had to suck it with an intel chipset board with crippled 512mb ram but ata100 drive transfer speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          Pulled a bunch out of a school today.

Couple nice PC's, a 10th gen I5 HP, a custom I7 (not sure what gen, but new enough for DDR4 so it has to be 6th atleast). It had a GTX1060 in it as well. Also got a big pile of chromebooks & metal-body network gear....and the usual pile of breeding small monitors that will go to the scrappers.
                          The HP is an I5-10400 @ 2.9GHz x6+HT w/16gb RAM. Had a 1TB spinner in it...yanked that and stuck a M.2 in it and loaded 11Pro. That one should be a decent seller (I hope anyway); a tower but a smaller one.

The other system is a custom build with an Asus Prime Q370M-C motherboard, 8gb RAM (eww), and an i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz x6+HT. It's in a butt ass ugly case...so I'm going to find something a little nicer for it. It was the one with the GTX 1060.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

A couple of old news cameras.

An Ikegami HL-V59w and a Panasonic AG-HMC80P:

Both work (though the old NiCad battery on the Ikegami is dead as a doornail so I could only test it with an external power supply, and I don't have any Betacam SP tapes to fully test the recorder, but it does open and close and the components in side at least look to be in good shape), the Panasonic being HD and writing to SD cards (32 GB size limit though) is still fairly useful albeit a bit bulky (and it looks a bit goofy without the lens hood).
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by dmill89; 11-16-2023, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Dell Latitude CPx J650GT for today.

Basically Dell's take on a similarly built laptop to Compaq's Armada M700:

P3 650MHz
                              128MB RAM
                              20GB HDD
                              14 or so inches LCD
                              had XP when I got it, now runs 98Lite 4.7 w/ NUSB
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

A few freebies...lots of network stuff... The pick so far is a Ubiquiti UDM Pro. Seems an interesting device. Hot-swap WD green had gone bad. Slipped another good HDD in it, loaded defaults, and tinkering with it now. If I can make it play nice with my IP cameras, this thing is going to be marvelous (but apparently is a difficult feat)!! This post passed through it on the way up.

Also got a HP 27-dp0006 27" 10th gen I5 AIO with a cracked screen. 16gb RAM and a 512mb m.2. I found a panel for $70 shipped. Should make a buck on this one.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

PS3 CECHB00 - unfortunately the COK-001 board inside it was toast... now houses a temporary HDMI-less COK-002 (CECHC04) board until I can source one that works as intended and make a frankenstein PS3.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Today's free score was from ~15 years ago; maybe 2008-ish (system made in 2003). Someone gave me a Dell Precision 530 workstation; dual skt603 with failed caps of course, Nichicon HM. At the time it was deemed not worth messing with and it sat on a shelf in the garage since. It being buried under other stuff is probably the only thing that kept it from being scrapped.... I came across it the other day when I was scrapping the stuff on top of it and thought hmmmm....maybe a little retro status, considering it's a RAMBUS system, and it has a pair of 3GHz Prestonia's (the fastest it could take). I stole the RAM, but CPU's are still in it. RAMBUS survivors are becoming less every passing day. Recapped it and it's working.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Been a good autumn for 3DFX stuff. Last month I got a working voodoo5 in a box of whatnot cards. Today I got another box of old PC whatnots and lo&behold there's an Orchid Righteous 3D 4mb voodoo1 card.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Got some older lga775 systems today, most Dells...but there was one custom-build in there in a butt ugly case....but the board is an Asus P5QL Pro....ok nothing stellar, but these are Harpertown Xeon compatible and good overclockers.... They're quite a way from retrodom status....but worth hanging onto.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                          Got some older lga775 systems today, most Dells...but there was one custom-build in there in a butt ugly case....but the board is an Asus P5QL Pro....ok nothing stellar, but these are Harpertown Xeon compatible and good overclockers.... They're quite a way from retrodom status....but worth hanging onto.
                                          Yup, it likes Harpertowns. I had an E5450 @ 3GHz in the bin, modded it, and no problem! I have a pair of X5460's @ 3.16; which everyone seems to have no trouble gettting to run @ 3.8GHz with just air cooling...but having a pair, I'll save those for a more appropriate dual socket build some day....the E5450 will do just fine. No build in mind for this....just another one to hang onto.

Click image for larger version  Name:	p5ql_0657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	295.6 KB ID:	3160092

Click image for larger version  Name:	p5ql_0658.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.0 KB ID:	3160093

FWIW, the 'oven' now has 754 hours on it.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X