View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #246
Longbow
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Brighton, U.K.
Arrow Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

I see that this specific subject has generated amazing interest over the years. Certainly, replacing electrolytics on the display pcb will bring back the Jenn Air (and others) display brightness.

However...these things are getting old by anyone's standards, so we have to be practical and realize that the VFD (the display tube itself) slowly ages and as it does, it becomes dimmer and dimmer. Nothing can be done about that.

The second very common problem on these stoves is that various functions begin to start up and stop by themselves. Broiler fan starts to run all the time is the usual. I have examined the control pcb minutely and found no obvious part failures. A new control pcb fixes the ghost problems. No differences can be found between a bad board and a good board. Therefore I am 99% sure that the EEPROM on the original control boards also ages (from heat) and the software finally becomes corrupted. Since it is easy to burn an 8 pin EEPROM, I would recommend that someone do just that while your control board is still working.

Then, the next problem worth mentioning is that the front panel membrane strip slowly absorbs grease, spray cleaners, etc. One or more of the functions stop working. The membrane can't be fixed and is no longer available. FYI there are several different part numbers for this membrane. The parts all look alike, but have subtle differences that can prevent them from mounting on your stove.

The final award goes to the burners themselves. The glass-covered heating elements fail after some number of years. The pull-out heating units can't be disassembled without destroying them. It is sometimes possible to find plug in units with coil-style burners. All these parts are quite expensive. Pretty soon, the price of new stove starts looking attractive. Depends upon how creative you want to be.

Good Luck,
Longbow