View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #18
Fizzycapola
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: England
Red face Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by willawake
i certainly dont miss 98/ME. what a load of crap. It would develop wierd problems which would take hours of troubleshooting and in the end could only be solved with a reinstall.
Out the box this was very true, most of the blue screen errors seemed to be RAM allocation related, it was almost as though the errors were intended to encourage you to buy their new OS. I think many people bought XP for this reason. Although I found simply changing a few lines of text in system files I found made the OS almost rock solid unless I started messing around with new applications/drivers etc. That and a full reinstalltion to perfect tweaked state with all apps working via key reg file backups backed up and reinstallable any time in under 60 seconds made me very very happy with it.

Here is are my custom settings from my archive:
[boot.description]
system.drv=Standard PC
mouse.drv=Microsoft Mouse
keyboard.typ=Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
aspect=100,96,96
display.drv=FIRE GL X1

[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
woafont=app850.fon
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
device=*dynapage
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd,*vflatd
PagingDrive=D:
MinPagingFileSize=1382400
MaxPagingFileSize=1382400
IRQ3=4096
IRQ5=4096
IRQ10=4096
IRQ11=4096
IRQ14=4096
PageBuffers=32
VGAMonoText=OFF
DMABufferSize=64
HardDiskDMABuffer=64
32BitDiskAccess=on
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
MinTimeSlice=80

[vcache]
minfilecache=65536
maxfilecache=65536
ChunkSize=4096
NameCache=4096
DirectoryCache=128

Back then a 65MB cache you could run Office 2005, Graphics Apps, Read Acrobat documents whilst playing modern games, listening to music and browsing the net and it would all run from RAM at 60 nano seconds. To do the same today only *nearly* as fast requires 4GB+ of DDR2 800Mhz-1066Mhz RAM and 6Ghz of processing power and maybe even a RAM hard drive array.

Sometimes I wish Bill Gates would say the reason to buy Vista is to slow you down because you're walking/talking too fast, maybe if everybody still used old apps with modern power they could do a years work in a split second, give MS money and give hardware industry money. Not transparent lies. I think their slogan should be "hey you give us your money, don't ask what it's for".