Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42LM670TZA , picture freezing , then powers off , or hanging on LG logo .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42LM670TZA , picture freezing , then powers off , or hanging on LG logo .

Hi all

Issue seems to be slightly tap sensitive , although that might be a complete coincidence .

Main board problem none the less .

Can anyone advise .

I'm leaning toward re-balling the main BGA processor chip .

Have the correct stencil in stock , therefore must have re-balled one of these chips in the distant past .
    Attached Files

Re: 42LM670TZA , picture freezing , then powers off , or hanging on LG logo .

All signs point to BGA, I have one of these boards from a 42LM6400, after reflowing the main chip it lasted for 2 years, then further reflow attempts failed to make the TV last even 1 minute powered on.

But the TV should not freeze, it should power off immediately or not even get out of standby when it's the main chip.

Comment

Thanks for the input .

I don't tend to re - flow any more , as it doesn't seem to be reliable .

Will re - ball & report back

Comment

On removal & inspection of BGA , may have worked out issue .

part of track , which looks to be a through hole point seems to have been exposed , by heat from the a capacitor that sits directly under it .

Could try some solder mask to insulate point then fit chip back .

Although it looks like it from picture it's not a pad .
        Attached Files

Comment

Re-ball seems to have gone really well , & solder mask to took exposed track .
          Attached Files

Comment

Well i'm genuinely surprised .

Set powers & now working on a test .

Lets see how it behaves , or not a the case may be .

Comment

Nice job on the reballing process, hope it fixes it.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Reballed a Vizio a couple years ago. Still working in the living room.
                  I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Nice one, yes re-balling rather than re-flowing seems to be the way to go for me .

Have been experimenting for a few years now & have quite a reliable technique with the equipment i use .

Many re-balling videos on You Tube .

Comment

I think leaded solder is superior to the brittle unleaded. Military still uses leaded solder for reliability.
                      I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Most definitely .

Aviation also , & quite possibly medical equipment .

More work for us i suppose

Comment

Working...
                        X