Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

I purchased my Jenn Air downdraft used as a replacement for a non working stove when we did some kitchen remodeling 3 years ago. It has functioned flawlessly until recently when the display went dark but is still functional. I just ordered parts listed above and am hopeful that I can get this baby fixed as the replacement board alone would cost me more than I paid for the stove itself. Just a side note here, I am a 60 year old woman whose only soldering experience has been with stained glass but I am going to give it a shot anyway. Will post back with results.

Comment

Hi, I'm having problems with the portion my Jenn-Air oven display (Mdl WM27460W). The "clock" side of the display seems good but the side that shows the oven temp, etc. is not showing anything. Weill replacing the capacitors solve this problem? Thanks.

Comment

A friend of mine asked me to help him with his Jenn-Air oven display. Apparently the display went out on his range but everything works as it should except for the display. This is the third time the trouble has happened and he has replaced the board twice with a cost of over 200 dollars for each repair. After searching the net a little for some info on the PC board I came across this site and signed up. We will try replacing capacitor C3 and see what happens. After reading the posts here it seems that will fix him up ok. I will send in a update with the results after a new cap is installed. Thanks for the help here fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by waynetk View Post
          Hi, I'm having problems with the portion my Jenn-Air oven display (Mdl WM27460W). The "clock" side of the display seems good but the side that shows the oven temp, etc. is not showing anything. Weill replacing the capacitors solve this problem? Thanks.
          I'm not sure if replacing the other caps also will fix your particular problem since you say the clock part works ok. It wouldn't cost you much to replace all of them and see what happens. If it doesn't work you should be able to replace the board for around 240 dollars.

You might also try cleaning the ribbon cable connections to see if that helps. Pushing down on the end taps of the connector is supposed to release the cable.
          Last edited by Cougar; 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Well, replacing capacitor C3 fixed the display problem but now the front panel control buttons aren't working for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
              Well, replacing capacitor C3 fixed the display problem but now the front panel control buttons aren't working for some reason.
              Make sure the connector that connects the keypad to the circuitboard is fully seated.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                Make sure the connector that connects the keypad to the circuit board is fully seated.
                He did do that and even cleaned the connections; unfortunately that isn't the trouble. We got close to fixing it. He may now end up replacing the unit since it is getting fairly old.
                Last edited by Cougar; 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

He did do that and even cleaned the connections; unfortunately that isn't the trouble. We got close to fixing it. He may now end up replacing the unit since it is getting fairly old.
                  Check for solder bridges, and add some fresh solder to every joint.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ncredbird View Post
                    I purchased my Jenn Air downdraft used as a replacement for a non working stove when we did some kitchen remodeling 3 years ago. It has functioned flawlessly until recently when the display went dark but is still functional. I just ordered parts listed above and am hopeful that I can get this baby fixed as the replacement board alone would cost me more than I paid for the stove itself. Just a side note here, I am a 60 year old woman whose only soldering experience has been with stained glass but I am going to give it a shot anyway. Will post back with results.
                    Whooo Hooooo!!! It is working again! Everything was done following the instructions and illustrations on this forum and I thank you all for the details and encouragement. Original post was in August and life got in the way until I couldn't avoid getting this done when we sold our house and didn't want the home inspector to write me up. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Comment

I'm not sure if replacing the other caps also will fix your particular problem since you say the clock part works ok. It wouldn't cost you much to replace all of them and see what happens. If it doesn't work you should be able to replace the board for around 240 dollars.

You might also try cleaning the ribbon cable connections to see if that helps. Pushing down on the end taps of the connector is supposed to release the cable.
                      HI, I finally did what everyone else was saying so I replaced all 4 capacitors and now everything works. I can see both the clock and the right side of the display which shows the oven temp and selected functions. This saved me lots of money, cost me less than $6 for the parts and shipping. Thanks everyone for your generous help.

Comment

Thanks to this forum my own Jenn-Air is working fine. I ordered enough caps to fix my daughter's dim display as well. We replaced 2 caps (same brand, etc as the C4) and now everything works except that the fan runs constantly and timer 1 doesn't work. Timer 1 is no big deal but the fan is a problem. I can't find the circuit info on her stove to see what might be affecting the fan. Any suggestions?

Comment

Congratulations on the repair. As for the remaining issues, make sure all your connectors are seated properly. In regards to the fan running all the time, that has been discussed in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15001
                          There is no solution yet.

Comment

30 minutes of reading, and 30 minutes to repair….thanks to this forum I just saved a couple hundred bucks. I was so close to ordering the new board before I stumbled across this topic. Thanks everyone. Now I can justify that new iPhone.

Comment

You guys absolutely rock. I had to do a 47 and 22uF in parallel but that cost all of $2 at my local Fry's electronics to replace c3.

Thank you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by webtalk View Post
                                Well, I did it! and the clock now works.

Thanks for the help and the info I found on this thread, I ordered the parts online and they arrived in one day (yes I ordered replacement parts for the other caps but only installed C3).

I have posted photos detailing all the steps, but anyone who stumbles on to this thread can feel free to ask questions. For example, I wasn't sure how to remove the wide ribbon cable. Then I remembered, when I had recently fixed my son's Ps3, you just press on the two protrusions on the edges of the plug and the ribbon just slides out.

Removing the old solder took a while. I melted the old solder with the soldering iron then pried out the cap wire using a thin flat screwdriver. Not sure it this process might damage the circuit board but what did I have to lose, since if I was not successful I would have to buy a new module anyways (it's $250 plus 13%tax Cad here in Canada from a local jennair parts dealer).

Anyways, good luck to those who may wish to try this out, but proceed at your own risk.

Cheers.
                                WOW! Thank you both 'bluto' and 'webtalk' Thought you both would like to know that your very thoughtful, helpful posts are still helping people save tons of money! I googled "display not working on Jenn Air wall oven" and this forum came up with your threads.....beautiful, step-by-step pictures. I have never done this type of repair, in fact I didn't even know what a capacitor was and certainly had never used a soldering iron before. But I figured, what do I have to lose? The repairman quoted me $270 to fix "the problem" I just couldn't accept that! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK from the bottom of my heart for being so generous with your knowedge and offering such easy step-by-step instructions!!

Comment

Thank you Bluto and Badcaps.net forum. I have the same issue with my Jenn air as discussed in this thread. I sure didn't want to spent $200+ on the display so I have been doing without( two plus years). As I was doing a Google search I ran across this thread and I just placed my order with http://www.digikey.com/. Here are some pics of the clock mod. Hope this fixes the problem wife will be real happy and that will make me really really happyThanks again I will update hopefully with good news.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

You should be good replacing just the 68uf cap. I was talking to my uncle over the Christmas holiday and he mentioned that he had recently fixed his oven clock also. I asked if it had faded out and he said no it had just went out suddenly. The was on a 17 year old oven. So if yours blanks out suddenly, it is probably still worth the effort of replacing the caps. Its amazing how common this problem is. Almost 20k views on this thread and no signs of slowing down!

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                                      Almost 20k views on this thread and no signs of slowing down!
                                      Hence why I stickied it. I think this is one of the most viewed threads pertaining to a specific model of board.

Congrats on the successful thread.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

BOOM!!! replaced the 68uf cap C3 and it works again. A big THANK YOU to bluto and this forum Saved me a lot of money

Comment

Add me to the list of people that saved over $220 due to this thread and forum. Ordered three of the C3 capacitors just in case, and one each of the others, for just over $5 total. Replaced just the C3 to start out and the display works like new again! Thank you everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X