X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I could use a few of them....4~6 of them would be lovely for some security system stuff around here.
    The shop is supposed to be closed over the holidays, so they MIGHT still be there when I next visit. OTOH, the warehouse manager said he was going to put in some time over the "break" to try to get things cleaned out. If so, I'd imagine all of the pallets that I marked as "scrap" will already have been scrapped.

But, I'll send him an email telling him to pull some of the UPSs off the pallet, if they're still around.

(Limited space in the warehouse and stuff comes in every day so it doesn't take long for it to fill up. And, being closed for so long means there will be a rush of "new stuff" demanding storage space on reopening. No doubt this is what inspired the manager to try to "get ahead" a bit.)

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
      The shop is supposed to be closed over the holidays, so they MIGHT still be there when I next visit. OTOH, the warehouse manager said he was going to put in some time over the "break" to try to get things cleaned out. If so, I'd imagine all of the pallets that I marked as "scrap" will already have been scrapped.

But, I'll send him an email telling him to pull some of the UPSs off the pallet, if they're still around.

(Limited space in the warehouse and stuff comes in every day so it doesn't take long for it to fill up. And, being closed for so long means there will be a rush of "new stuff" demanding storage space on reopening. No doubt this is what inspired the manager to try to "get ahead" a bit.)
      Awesome, and thanks! I'm sure the batteries are toast...but that's to be expected with recycled UPS's....but replacements are plentiful and inexpensive if you shop around. Those smaller UPS's will run PoE injector/cameras or a PoE switch for hours with healthy batteries.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Awesome, and thanks! I'm sure the batteries are toast...but that's to be expected with recycled UPS's....but replacements are plentiful and inexpensive if you shop around. Those smaller UPS's will run PoE injector/cameras or a PoE switch for hours with healthy batteries.
        If they're still there, I'll pull their batteries as that's needless weight to ship.

Comment

If they're still there, I'll pull their batteries as that's needless weight to ship.
          Excellent. No worries, the batteries are probably toast anyway.... Anytime I get a used UPS, it gets fresh batteries.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Scored a Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP for exactly $1. Works fine, aside from a seized fan which I removed and currently looking for a replacement, and a bad G-Luxon 1500uF 6.3v near the power port which was replaced with a Rubycon MBZ 10v 1000uF. (didn't have a 1500uF cap in my cap inventory)
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

Another Dell 3007. Double-edged sword -- delightfully large... but takes up a sh*tload of space (because of that!)

Comment

^
                Hows about those UPS's?
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

^
                  Hows about those UPS's?
                  I haven't been back to that place, yet. (There are several places that I visit for "toys" ) My email was never answered but that could just be laziness on the warehouse manager's part. Seems like most people use text messaging, nowadays, instead of email (I don't have cell phone service).

Comment

I haven't been back to that place, yet. (There are several places that I visit for "toys" ) My email was never answered but that could just be laziness on the warehouse manager's part. Seems like most people use text messaging, nowadays, instead of email (I don't have cell phone service).
                    Ok, no worries.....I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I need to make my rounds for toys as well.....it's been a month, they're probably missing me by now.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Ok, no worries.....I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I need to make my rounds for toys as well.....it's been a month, they're probably missing me by now.
                      I'm finding many of my colleagues (across the country) are being slow to "get back in gear" after the holidays. It's as if we've all woken up a bit earlier than we wanted to and are collectively asking "Awww, just give me ten more minutes..." :<

Comment

Scored some NIIIICE freebies:

PS3 model CECHC03 - no HDD, it's one of the BC models
                        Sound Blaster Audigy SE SB0570
                        Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer SB0750
                        Logitech X-210 2.1 Sound System - this one I need to rewire the panel.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Went to another Carboot in a different city as all local ones closed till spring.

Got

2 x ps3 80gb / £5 each / tested working (console only)
                          2 x Wii’s complete with 5x remotes and a bonus Mario Kart in one of the consoles! £20 for bundle
                          Humax Youview 500gb freebies recorder - £8

That’s it, got this nav thing last week like what trekkers use which was pretty cool.

Comment

Another Dell 3007. Double-edged sword -- delightfully large... but takes up a sh*tload of space (because of that!)
                            Quality monitor that had one a few years ago.

Comment

Another "broken" (hmm, I wonder why it has no output, oh the muting button is pressed ) stereo receiver, an Onkyo TX-910 (45Wpc circa early 1990s) for $7:

This thing sounds great, it still can't beat my Marantz Model 2015, but it beats out any of the digital-tuning receivers I have sound quality wise.

And an Audiotronics 612 suitcase turntable for $10, not the worlds greatest sounding turntable, but still much better than the Crosley Cruiser or any of the other Chinese garbage out there today and is built like a tank.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by dmill89; 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

That receiver possibly would be as late as the mid-1990s.

Looks like the same thing as a Technics, LOL.

Looks like the design from probably the late-1980s, held on until at least the Bush Jr. era, if I was correct about mine being made in 2002. Going by my Technics SA-EX140!
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-07-2019, 08:41 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                  That receiver possibly would be as late as the mid-1990s.

Looks like the same thing as a Technics, LOL.

Looks like the design from probably the late-1980s, held on until at least the Bush Jr. era, if I was correct about mine being made in 2002. Going by my Technics SA-EX140!
                                  The TX-910 was made from 1993-1995 but Onkyo was using a similar design/chassis on their stereo receivers through the early 2000s. I believe the Technics SA-EX140 used an integrated circuit amp which would mean it would have more in common with the Onkyo TX-18 (the TX-18 sounds pretty good for an IC amp, but not as good as the TX-910) I picked up a couple months ago than the TX-910 which uses discrete transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                                    Another "broken" (hmm, I wonder why it has no output, oh the muting button is pressed ) stereo receiver, an Onkyo TX-910 (45Wpc circa early 1990s) for $7:
                                    That's very funny!

Though I have to admit, I've had some "duh" moments like that myself. Once, for example, I was testing a PSU I just recapped. I couldn't figure out why the PSU no longer powered after I recapped it. Then I noticed I had forgotten to plug the power cable in the PSU. DUH!!!

Anyways, nice amp again.
                                    It may only be 45 W/ch, but I see it supports 4 Ohms speakers when in "A or B" mode. That's not too common for stereo amps. But it's good, in case you want to test some 6 or 4-Ohm speakers.

Also nice that it uses discreet transistors - makes it a lot more serviceable, should one of those need replacing. Nothing worse than having to look for a discontinued IC that no one makes or sells anymore.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                    Scored a Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB AGP for exactly $1. Works fine, aside from a seized fan which I removed and currently looking for a replacement, and a bad G-Luxon 1500uF 6.3v near the power port which was replaced with a Rubycon MBZ 10v 1000uF. (didn't have a 1500uF cap in my cap inventory)
                                    That's a really good video card! Prices of good AGP video cards are starting to go a bit crazy right now (well, ATI less than nVidia).

Make sure to keep it cooled well (under 55C at all times), as it's from the time of the Xbox 360 days and a bit failure prone. Better yet, also add a small heatsink (chipset HS from dead motherboard will do) on the ATI bridge chip (if it has one) on the back of the video card. Those tiny exposed dies run very hot and are another reason these cards stop working after a while.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 01-07-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

that tuner - damn it has the 2 biggest things that piss me off.

1: captive mains cable - inlet cost too much for them??
                                      2: unearthed metal chassis - great way to die if the primary side gets damaged inside.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                        that tuner - damn it has the 2 biggest things that piss me off.

1: captive mains cable - inlet cost too much for them??
                                        2: unearthed metal chassis - great way to die if the primary side gets damaged inside.
                                        Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US those are both very common.

Some more recent mid/higher-end receivers($500+) have detachable mains cables but up until a few years ago all but the absolute top-of the line models had a captive mains cable.
                                        I don't think I've ever seen a grounded (3-prong) plug on a receiver in the US, always just 2-prong (and if you go back to the 1960s and earlier "hot-chassis" were common with an un-polarized plug so you got a nice shock if you plugged it in "backwards").
                                        Last edited by dmill89; 01-07-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

maybe coz your mains voltage is half-missing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X