Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 5552G power short

Hi!
    I need some help for the laptop specified in the title.
    It's owned by a friend of mine. At first, it started displaying only a black screen and fan spinning. Then he tried doing an homemade reflow on the VGA BGA. After that, it could be turned on every time for a short second with no fans nor anything (LEDS only), then shutting down (just before shutting down you can hear a slight pop on the board, source unidentified). After three or 4 attempts, he said the laptop squealed for a moment the shut down forever. Now it shows no signs of life with the AC adapter connected, the B+ shows almost short to GND (2.6 Ohms).

Mobo NEW75 LA-5911P. Schematics here: http://www.rom.by/files/compal_la-59...schematics.pdf

How can I go on diagnosing the fault?

Thank you so much!!
    Davide
    Last edited by Retrocomputer; 11-20-2019, 06:36 PM.

Re: Acer Aspire 5552G power short

MOSFETs gone

Comment

Thank you. Now it behaves differently. I found PQ38 shorted, replaced it and now we're like before. As soon as you press the power button (with AC adapter), the LEDS come up for a brief second then it shuts down, making a slight click/pop from an unidentified place on the MOBO. The three main always on voltage rails (+5,+3.3,+1.1) are present and constant upon connecting the adapter.

Thank you.

Comment

Check your power supply see how many amps it's drawing without turning on, if it's drawing amps, you should feel which part is getting hot

Comment

GPU reflow → dead. You already know where the fault lies.
          This is gonna have a dead northbridge anyway.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi, just for curiosity sake I decided to remove both the IGP and the VGA. (Then reinstalled a couple reballed ones). The short is still there. PQ38 is shorted at D/S terminals (B+/+VGACOREP), no power at all now. PR124 to 127 become slightly hot. PQ31-33-34 already checked and not shorted. It's just to see if it lives again... thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X