Whirlpool dishwasher: no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whirlpool dishwasher: no power

For a happy July 4 my dishwasher decided to die on me. It came with the house so I have no history on it.

Not sure if the model number but it is just like this one in this video m.youtube.com/watch?v=m06Gqg0pDzA

However, when I take my front cover off at look at my circuit board, there is no thermal fuse at all. There is the space for it in the plastic housing like in the video but it's just not there

I confirmed the unit is getting power, and he control board is getting power (5v on the input lines) but the unit is completely unresponsive. I cannot see any obviously damages components.

I checked the door switch for continuity and it is working correctly. Everything else says check for thermal fuse but mine seems to not have one (or not have the obvious, replaceable one)

Any ideas what to test? I will post a picture of the board later, all I see is a transformer, some relays, and a cap or 2.

Re: Whirlpool dishwasher: no power

No model number, no pics of the board- hard to help out.

Comment

Start there.
      Check the relays for power and that they're closing their contacts.
      Check the solder connections under the transformer.
      Check the caps if you have an esr meter.

Comment

is the transformer there ? if so check it.
        maybe they cheaped out in the early run then had failures and added the fuse later.
        Last edited by petehall347; 07-05-2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

It's a bi-metalic thermal cutoff TCO, Dishwasher Thermal Fuse, from the KSD301 family.
          I think a special (never resets once tripped) part. Usually these automatically reset when they cool down- but that doesn't stop a fire. The TCO is a separate assembly rests near the SMPS IC on the control board.
          Kit: W10402110 (replaces AP5645909, W10195528, 2443847, PS4704481, SP9443841) massively overpriced at $25.

Dishwasher control boards have many problems with bad solder joints. Whirlpool had fractured solder joints at the relays cause the control board to catch fire and burn down your house, there was a massive recall over this and this fuse is likely their safety fix.

Just do a visual of the board and look for bad connections at the relays and connectors. If the TCO trips, I think it cuts all power? So "completely unresponsive" not sure if that's the problem because the control board has 5V power and I guess the display is up? Do you hear relays click when you try start a cycle?

Comment

i would check if its on the recall list .

Comment

With any appliances, check for recalls here: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

Class action lawsuit for " experienced smoke, flames, fumes, sparks, or electrical arcing from the control console area/electronic control board of their dishwasher (an "Overheating Event")." https://www.dishwashersettlement.com/home.aspx

Sad that others were made in Ohio but with chinese motors that burned up.
              Last edited by redwire; 07-05-2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Pics and more info

Here is the pic of the control panel, with the plastic cover on, showing the model number of the control board

Here is a picture of the board itself, with notes by me

I found the service manual tucked in the bottom kick panel and read it. It indicated this board has 2 fuses and gave the points to test them. Both Fuse 1 and Fuse 2 tested good.

I did retest the power connector and was only getting 54V to it. The YouTube video says I should be getting 120V. I could have been testing poorly. I tried getting the metal cover off the plate where the actual power wire connects to the unit but with what I have handy, I cant get it off, the screw was way over tightened. I do see that it is aluminum wiring running to this thing, could that go bad in a way that shorts the voltage to the unit in total?

The manual gave a reccomended test to run, it says disconnect power, disconnect the wiring to the control panel, open the door, reconnect power, wait 10 seconds, then close the door, and the drain pump should start. If it does not, it says replace the control board. I tried the test 3 times and the pump never ran.

I have not removed the board from the machine enough to get to the back of it and check the solder joints and relays

From the looks of it this is a pretty cheap dishwasher with a plastic tub, there is a fair bit of rust around the thing, and it seems to look like it is rusting up around the door and might be approaching the expected lifespan of the cheapo dishwashers. I wouldn't mind taking my time trying to fix it but I have a family of 4 and we make a LOT of dishes and run at least one load every day, so it is a PIA to handwash all these dishes, so "Time Without Dishwasher" (TWD) is something we want to keep at minimum. Even if I took the board out and starting replacing components, now I am waiting on shipping times and who knows how long it would take before I track down the faulty part, and Mrs. SluggerB is not happy waiting longer than needed.

It should be simple enough to pop the board out and check for bad solder joints, I can fix that quickly, but anything beyond something simple like that, I think the TWD investment starts to quickly eclipse the cost of another dishwasher. I will check out the things mentioned here though and please share any other ideas!
                Last edited by SluggerB; 07-05-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                  It's a bi-metalic thermal cutoff TCO, Dishwasher Thermal Fuse, from the KSD301 family.
                  I think a special (never resets once tripped) part. Usually these automatically reset when they cool down- but that doesn't stop a fire. The TCO is a separate assembly rests near the SMPS IC on the control board.
                  Kit: W10402110 (replaces AP5645909, W10195528, 2443847, PS4704481, SP9443841) massively overpriced at $25.
                  This unit has the space for a thermal fuse, but there is nothing there. See pic

Dishwasher control boards have many problems with bad solder joints. Whirlpool had fractured solder joints at the relays cause the control board to catch fire and burn down your house, there was a massive recall over this and this fuse is likely their safety fix.

Just do a visual of the board and look for bad connections at the relays and connectors.
                  I can take the board completely out and take a peek.

If the TCO trips, I think it cuts all power? So "completely unresponsive" not sure if that's the problem because the control board has 5V power and I guess the display is up? Do you hear relays click when you try start a cycle?

The unit has no power at all, no display, no relay clicks, nothing. It is dead, dead, dead. I measured voltage on the connector that plugs into the board and got power, but it is not getting to the white connector that goes up to the board with the buttons and display on it. I guess a cracked relay sold joint could cause that. Both fuses are good so it does not appear to be a short on the board or the motors (thats what the manual says the fuses are for)

Comment

If you have the wiring diagram, check it doesn't have a safety switch in series with power. Like the door switch or something, it might prevent the W10839429 board from getting power.

Comment

"I did retest the power connector and was only getting 54V to it. The YouTube video says I should be getting 120V. I could have been testing poorly. I tried getting the metal cover off the plate where the actual power wire connects to the unit but with what I have handy, I cant get it off, the screw was way over tightened. I do see that it is aluminum wiring running to this thing, could that go bad in a way that shorts the voltage to the unit in total?"
                      i would get this fixed first . is your house wiring ok ?

Comment

How are you checking the a/c 120v input going to the board? You should see 120v ACROSS the black and white wires. Not with one probe to chassis.
                        What is the model of the dishwasher?

Comment

pluc something else in like a light bulb where the machine plugs in and see if it works properly .

Comment

Make sure there is 120v on that plug where it is supposed to be. See if U1 has power. If there is no power there, follow the circuit backwards. Is that big dropper resistor good?

Comment

Final Update:

TL;DR - It was the transformer on the board.

I took the board out, and checked all the solder joints. They all looked fine to me, but I tinned them all up just in case. I started testing continuity across the board and I got all the way to one side of the transformer, but there was no continuity between the two sides which I would think there would need to be.

Just to check it wasn't a solder joint, after I reflowed everything I plugged the board back in, and the dishwasher was still dead. I checked for voltage at the transformer, one side was getting voltage, the other side was dead.

So I took the board back out and started working on getting the transformer out, and after desoldering the legs and starting to work it out, one corner of the plastic around it cracked off very easily, and I could see the inside of the plastic piece looked damaged, and the wire going to that leg was broken. So it looks like thats where it failed.

At this point I could buy a new board, but the closest one is a week out from eBay, and I have no way of knowing if the transformer is the issue or a symptom, and if I replace the board and it breaks again, I just wasted a week. Plus from the look of the internals it doesn't look like the dishwasher has a lot of life left in it anyway, so I'm calling it dead and going to the appliance store tommorow and ordering a new one. I'm already sick of handwashing dishes, so I don't want to eat up days and days of time on swapping in a part and take the risk of something else being bad in the dishwasher that kills the replacement board. It's too much risk of TWD for trying to get an already old dishwasher running again that could break again in the near future for this or an entirely new reason anyway. If it was something that the family didn't use every day all the time I'd be more inclined to continue the repair, but thats not the case here.

Thanks for the tips and sorry for the anti climactic ending.
                              Last edited by SluggerB; 07-06-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I confirmed the unit is getting power, and he control board is getting power (5v on the input lines) but the unit is completely unresponsive. I cannot see any obviously damages components
                                The transformer was ok or you would not have been getting +5v, the transformer (t1) is for the smps which operates at high frequency not 60hz but likely 60~100khz

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  The transformer was ok or you would not have been getting +5v, the transformer (t1) is for the smps which operates at high frequency not 60hz but likely 60~100khz
                                  that power reading was on the AC side, before the transformer. I followed those traces all the way to the transformer, and was reading voltage on that side of the transformer, but 0v on the other side. I think the broken wire on the transformer leg and partially melted plastic post are indicators that was what went bad.

Comment

ok, I must have misread the 5v on the input lines.

Comment

Just a follow up, I did end up buying a new control board, popped it in, and dishwasher runs like a champ now.

Comment

Keep the old controller board just in case the you bought take a shit you might still be able to use it unless you have the same exact problem with the transformer being bad
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X