Windows XP End of Life Approaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP End of Life Approaching

In 5 months, XP will be at EoL according to Microsoft. this includes all varieties of XP and XP64. I have several machines still running it, and I'm not convinced that migrating to 7 is what I really want to do.....I can promise everyone out there, I won't put 8/8.1 on them....no way no how!

Who else is facing this little dilemma? I know we have a pretty sizable XP following here.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Windows XP End of Life Approaching

I usually stay at least a version behind the latest. I recently had to upgrade to Windows 7 before I could install Office 365; I use Visio for work, which isn't installed on the PCs at work. So far, I love Windows 7.
    LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

All the updates will be archived and kept.
      Common sense will keep me safe anyway.business as usual here.

Comment

micro$haft just found a TIFF exploit for winxp with certain versions of office, and certain versions of office in general

who cares if its at EOL, how many of us have gotten viruses from these out of the way security vulnerabilities? Only if we use IE, and if any of us do we don't belong here
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

No dilemma here, I have two licenses XP-Pro and one XP Home.
          Basically since 2011 and up to date the MS support was a joke.
          Worthless updates regarding their own framework software, and a bit of cooking for the security holes of IE.
          Bottom line = nothing to improve the operating system, not even a registry cleaner.
          All security updates were with out descriptions, and some of them just slowed down the computer with out reason.
          I had to take a Ghost image before installing any updates, as security from ending up with one unstable or slow computer.

Once I forgot to run a backup and my system it did get messed up from those MS updates.
          Luckily I discovered this Advanced SystemCare 6 software, which it did helped my system allot.
          Since this summer 2013 I did started to ignore all MS updates.
          Therefore I do not loose anything if MS drop their support.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
            Once I forgot to run a backup and my system it did get messed up from those MS updates.
            Luckily I discovered this Advanced SystemCare 6 software, which it did helped my system allot.
            Since this summer 2013 I did started to ignore all MS updates.
            Therefore I do not loose anything if MS drop their support.
            First off, why I am the only person on this planet who has never been screwed by a Windows Update? On my computers, family/friend computers, or clients whose computer I'm repairing at work..?

Second, if you're referring to the Advanced System Care made by IOBit ditch that crap now - CCleaner is at least trustworthy and does a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              First off, why I am the only person on this planet who has never been screwed by a Windows Update? On my computers, family/friend computers, or clients whose computer I'm repairing at work..?

Second, if you're referring to the Advanced System Care made by IOBit ditch that crap now - CCleaner is at least trustworthy and does a fine job.
              If you dont need xp for the internet then just get a cheap pc/laptop for your browsing and downloading, i still use xp because a lot of the programs i use will not run on 7 or 8 without massive tweaks and why should i need new hardware for 7 or 8 when the hardware i have does everything i need (video encoding, editing etc, picture processing etc without needing 3gb ram just to start.

As the point about updates screwing up computers all i have done for years now is when i do a clean install with all my software and drivers installed i make a ghost image on a separate partition then i start doing updates and when thats done another image which is the update image that way i can do a perfect rollback to a fully working system in less than half an hour if i get problems, simples.

Comment

I'm wondering if they activation servers will be gone as well.....thats the thing I couldn't find a definitive answer to.... It would really suck to have to call in every time to activate.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  I'm wondering if they activation servers will be gone as well.....thats the thing I couldn't find a definitive answer to.... It would really suck to have to call in every time to activate.
                  Huh, I hope they DO unplug them. And disconnect the phone number.

Comment

Huh, I hope they DO unplug them. And disconnect the phone number.
                    Like there aren't activation hacks...
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I have several machines still running it, and I'm not convinced that migrating to 7 is what I really want to do.....I can promise everyone out there, I won't put 8/8.1 on them....no way no how!
                      I feel the same way. 7 needs a little too much RAM. 4GB isn't enough at some times, while 32-bit XP has no problem with 1GB of RAM for almost everything. XP is also a lot easier to set up because Microsoft wasn't into the "protecting people from themselves" thing like they are now.

I've never had any updates screw up Windows, but I have this weird thing where installing Office updates causes this error.

For me, Windows installs last longer if I don't install those "cleaner" programs. I can get many years out of a Windows install, but installing one of the "cleaners" trashes Windows instantly and makes the computer unusable. I have to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows after that. The standard Windows tools work fine.

Comment

wont afect me one bit!
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

For XP32, Windows Embedded POSReady has extended support until 2019, so essentially XP 32 is covered for a lot more time.

Windows XP x64 will continue to receive updates (at least unofficially) together with Windows Server 2003 x64, bevause they usually share the same ones. Problem is in late 2015, when Server 2003 will be cut off...

I preferred if XP x64 got the support until 2019 and not the other way around... In fact, there's no real reason to use XP32 anymore... Everyone should switch to XP64 unless you're running some kind of legacy gaming box or you need 16-bit support for some old business utility.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

not completely on topic, but did an on site job installing multiple internet based security cams for a local printing company. weirdest mix of consumer and server grade stuff, ancient g4 macs, shiny new i7 imacs, xp machines, win7 computers, 15" crts, 24" lcds totally bizarre.

the network room was funny though. 10/100 netgear switch an ancient comcast business modem LOL.

Comment

You made me laugh, if you are living in the dream of the perfect world of Microsoft that users are well taken cared by the master minds software engineers.. I will not awake you.

Comment

Well in this case I would be forced to hack the activation of my legally purchased software.
                                Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                  For XP32, Windows Embedded POSReady has extended support until 2019, so essentially XP 32 is covered for a lot more time.
                                  Sounds like McDonald's will be good for a while then.

Comment

AFAIK, it is exactly the same as Windows XP, with the part of it required to run Office removed. From what I understand, it's quite simple to convert it to full-fledged Windows XP, or for that matter, re-brand your existing XP install to POSReady and be able to downloads updated automatically that way...

It's not WinCE, if that's what you're thinking.
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                                      sounds like mcdonald's will be good for a while then.
                                      lol
                                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                        Everyone should switch to XP64 unless you're running some kind of legacy gaming box or you need 16-bit support for some old business utility.
                                        One Problem: Drivers. While I can usually find an xpx64 driver for even the most obscure harware, I know at least with some sound cards/ onboard chips xp64 drivers either don't exist, don't work, or crash the system.
                                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                                        X