Which LEDs do you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which LEDs do you buy?

Hello guys, as the title says I'm asking which LEDs do you buy for your repairs, so far I'm buying
    3535 3v 2w for samsung
    2835 3v 1w for vestel rebrands
    3535 6v 2w for LG

The samsung and vestel ones can be found on other brands too so they are versatile.

Nowadays I'm seeing other types of LEDs mostly on all the chinese brands, they are small, maybe 2828 and I'm not sure what to buy.
    Then there are the edge strips, for that also I don't know what to buy.

Any suggestions?

Re: Which LEDs do you buy?

Just buy full strips. Its not worth repairing the strips. The set will bounce back in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky29 View Post
      Just buy full strips. Its not worth repairing the strips. The set will bounce back in a couple of weeks.
      I do buy the full set when there are a lot of broken LED, like for a 40" samsung that had 26 broken leds.. but if it's just a few I'm replacing them and I'm not having bounce backs really, the situation here is this: people wants their set repaired quickly and cheaply; If I fix them by replacing the LEDs I can do it in a few days (I fix the tv and I leave it on for a couple days) and I can ask a fair price. If I buy on aliexpress it requires time (so it's not quick), if I buy the same strips aliexpress sells but from some reseller here they'll ask too much (so it's not cheap/worth compared to the price of a new tv.)

Comment

ive used ali express with mixed success
        some only last a few minutes,some are ok
        some hisense 3030c 6v are hard to find
        i would welcome shared experience from other members and suggestions on what suppliers are best ,ive found it to be a bit of a minefield

Comment

Sometimes new strips are difficult to find so repair is the only option. I've encountered 3 main LED types - 3V LG, 6V LG and 3V Samsung. Most non-LG and Samsung models use Samsung 3V types. For 3V LG - I do full replacements now since they are relatively cheap but I had used 1W LATWT470RELZK previously. For 3V Samsungs, I had to buy 2W 2835 ones for a RCA that was driving them at 600mA.

The LEDs that turn blue are super tiny (1mm x 1mm) so the only option is full strip replacement since typically almost all are damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
            Sometimes new strips are difficult to find so repair is the only option. I've encountered 3 main LED types - 3V LG, 6V LG and 3V Samsung. Most non-LG and Samsung models use Samsung 3V types. For 3V LG - I do full replacements now since they are relatively cheap but I had used 1W LATWT470RELZK previously. For 3V Samsungs, I had to buy 2W 2835 ones for a RCA that was driving them at 600mA.

The LEDs that turn blue are super tiny (1mm x 1mm) so the only option is full strip replacement since typically almost all are damaged.
            The 3V LG I'm using are the ones I've labeled Vestel, here in Italy they sold a LOT of tv, mostly 32" branded Philips, Telefunken and Toshiba which are very recognizable brands here. Then comes Samsung, and then all the random chinese brands starting with Akai.

About aliexpress, I must say that I'm satisfied with the LEDs I've linked; when I buy a full kit I try not to go for the cheapest and as of now I got no problems; the resellers here they sell the same exact stuff you can buy on there, I've browsed a LOT and they even have the same pictures, same product info just copy-pasted on their website, so I prefer buyng from aliexpress.

One thing I've learnt is that if the TV is too old and it's the "main tv" as in "is on all day" I suggest buying a new tv instead (if they don't agree I change the full kit), because as you know LEDs have a lifespan and inevitably it will break again.

Comment

Once you replace the LED's, make sure to turn down backlights level to as low as possible on all inputs, also turn off any dynamic modes.
              They drive the LED's so hard and with poor thermal management so they fail a lot.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I haven't fixed any LED TVs due to burnt out LEDs, but I see the process and it would make sense to spend a little bit more and buy quality LEDs from a reputable supplier relative to the amount of time disassembling the entire panel, frame, etc.

If it takes me 1 hour to disassemble and reassemble everything, I'll spend the extra $5 to get quality LEDs that will last.

And if you're a business, reputation is worth more than $5.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  I haven't fixed any LED TVs due to burnt out LEDs, but I see the process and it would make sense to spend a little bit more and buy quality LEDs from a reputable supplier relative to the amount of time disassembling the entire panel, frame, etc.

If it takes me 1 hour to disassemble and reassemble everything, I'll spend the extra $5 to get quality LEDs that will last.

And if you're a business, reputation is worth more than $5.
                  Yes that's why I'm asking for inputs, I don't want to buy something that is not good, as I said before the local resellers are selling the same exact stuff you find on aliexpress but for a higher price (I'm talking that the roll of 200 LED on aliexpress costs 1.21€ right now and the resellers charge like 0.30€/LED.) so since I can wait the shipping times if have inventory I prefer buying on aliexpress for cheaper.

When you say you take 1 hour to disassemble and reassemble the tv do you mean that you complete the repair in 1 hour? I don't do that. I fix the tv and then I leave it on (giving it an input from SCART to avoid autshutdown) for hours. I have a samsung on the table right now and Shrek has been played from an usb stick 7 or 8 times already.

Originally posted by budm
                  Once you replace the LED's, make sure to turn down backlights level to as low as possible on all inputs, also turn off any dynamic modes.
                  They drive the LED's so hard and with poor thermal management so they fail a lot.
                  THIS, absolutely, in my experience especially for philips and samsung tvs.

A tip I have is buy a couple of suction cups for glasses, mire are rated 35kg and are 12cm in diameter, they will make your life soooooo easy for lifting the screens; with 2 of those you can lift a 50" screen easy, 32" I lift using just one.

Still waiting on links for LEDs, If you have suggestions they are welcome.

Comment

Personally speaking I wouldn't use suction cups on a large screen. I tend to remove the whole of the frame surround for the TV and then flip the tab bond over onto the viewing area of the screen and tape it down.
                    Then place the screen vertical and gently lift the screen out and lay it vertically against a support, obviously ensuring no one is going to push or damage it (like children). This doesn't put any stress on the screen and very little movement of the screen takes place.
                    I find it strange that people lay the screen horizontally as lifting a screen from that position is more than likely to cause stress, unless you have a flat wooden board that you use with soft material and lower it from the vertical position to the horizontal.

Comment

I'm repairing a Samsung UN55J6201 with 5 strips 14 LEDs each strip. I was using a couple of strips as donors for the good LEDs on each to fix one or two LEDs that were bad on the other strips but am now needing about 15 more LEDs. Pretty sure these are the 3v LEDs given the supply voltage and are square with one corner slightly rounded to denote the positive pole. Would you be willing to sell me these from your stock. I' just want to be sure the screen isn't damaged before replacing them all. With no backlight I cannot be certain the screen isn't damaged as I never saw it with backlight when it was given to me to fix.

Please advise, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X