Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

monitor AORUS AD27QD - short circuit and tripped breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monitor AORUS AD27QD - short circuit and tripped breaker.

Hello. I had a good monitor AORUS AD27QD. Yesterday when i was sleep i left monitor on like always. When i woke in morning there was not power in house. Something tripped breaker/fuse.
    When i turn up breaker and power back in,monitor just refused to turn on. So monitor i guess tripped breaker somehow and make short circuit.

PC starting normally. Only monitor get damaged.
    During night only pc was running and monitor. Other devices was off.

Is this possible that monitor can trip breaker?

Re: monitor AORUS AD27QD - short circuit and tripped breaker.

Yes, if the bridge rectifier shorts for example it can take out the branch circuit breaker before the fuse in the power supply burns...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Maybe sell pc if i can experience faults in pc in future?

Somebody said:"Use a quality surge protector on important things and even though the PC works now it may have suffered as well and in a couple months if you experience faults you know why."

Comment

^^Bullshit
        Should you replace everything else in the house as well then?
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Ok thanks. Tommorow i will get new monitor .Waiting.

Comment

I sended to rma. Here is shop RMA message:

Shop:"We repaired PSU and sending back good monitor to client"

Is this possible that psu of monitor can trip breaker then if psu inside monitor, failed?

Comment

Yes, the monitor PSU could have tripped your breaker when it failed. Not able to see how the PSU is built (would need pictures for that), we can only assume it was either due to:
              a) design fault (bad caps maybe? or perhaps weak rectifiers or hot-running PSU)
              b) manufacturing fault (marginal component installed from the factory and showing as a latent failure)
              c) power surge on the line, which happened to kill only the monitor PSU.

From these, A and B are the most likely culprits and C is usually rare.

Comment

Somebody said this to me:"As others have stated, the most likely issue is a problem with the electrical wiring in the house and it's frying your electronics."

So he is right that electrical wiring frying my electronics?!

1 month after damaged monitor psu , halogen bulb get blown and tripped breaker too.

So is this possible that electrical wiring frying my electronics or he is not right?

Comment

Somebody said that:" It's FAR FAR FAR FAR more likely that something external caused the PSU to die while simultaneously pushing enough current long enough to trip a breaker.... like a floating neutral or lightning strike." Trust him?

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
                    Somebody said this to me:"As others have stated, the most likely issue is a problem with the electrical wiring in the house and it's frying your electronics."

So he is right that electrical wiring frying my electronics?!
                    Unlikely, but may be worth investigating.

Get a multimeter and monitor your line AC voltage. In Poland, this should be 230V +/-6%, (so anywhere in the 216-244V AC range is still in spec.) In particular, take a good (heavy duty) extension cord, then measure voltage with multimeter and note the value. After this, take something that uses a good amount of power (hair driyer, space heater)... but something that won't overload your extension cord, of course... and turn it on while plugged into the same extension cord. Note the voltage reading on the multimeter again. You should noticed a voltage drop, but it shouldn't drop too far - probably no less than 20V than nominal. Anything less, and you may indeed have bad wiring / faulty connection somewhere.

1 month after damaged monitor psu , halogen bulb get blown and tripped breaker too.
                    Sensitive breakers?
                    Could also be a breaker on its way out.

How old is the building you live in? Was it remodeled recently, particularly anything on the electrical system?

What about telling us which breaker tripped - living room, kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom? What was going on at the time? (I.e. thunderstorm, nearby construction, etc.) The more information we have, the closer we can get to narrowing down the problem. Going by what people say to you without giving them information will usually not get you to any useful or correct conclusion.

So is this possible that electrical wiring frying my electronics or he is not right?
                    It's possible. Just not very likely.

If you did have weak wiring, you'd notice it probably everytime you plug in something power-heavy into your outlets, as the bigger load would stress the wiring more and the effects of any weak connection will be more pronounced. Hence why I suggested you do the hair driyer test.

Somebody said that:" It's FAR FAR FAR FAR more likely that something external caused the PSU to die while simultaneously pushing enough current long enough to trip a breaker.... like a floating neutral or lightning strike." Trust him?
                    I don't know if floating neutral applies to you. In the US, most households (mainly individual houses, and not condo buildings that use 3-phase 208V AC) are wired to a center-tapped 240V secondary on the street traffo, giving 2x 120V phases 180 degrees out of phase (so that larger appliances can use the difference between the two taps for full 240V, whereas individual standard plugs are wired to each phase for 120V.) With a floating neutral - i.e. center tap connection from transformer to house ground/neutral becomes weak/lost. This can cause the house neutral to drift around depending on the loads connected on each phase at any given time, and that can lead to one phase going quite a bit over 120V and the other quite a bit under, to the point where electronics burn out.

In Europe, if I understand/remember correctly, most households take in only a single-phase 230V AC (or 3-phase if you have industrial/commercial power available as an option, which some small shops do), so I don't think the floating neutral applies to you.
                    Last edited by momaka; 09-09-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Unlikely, but may be worth investigating.

Get a multimeter and monitor your line AC voltage. In Poland, this should be 230V +/-6%, (so anywhere in the 216-244V AC range is still in spec.) In particular, take a good (heavy duty) extension cord, then measure voltage with multimeter and note the value. After this, take something that uses a good amount of power (hair driyer, space heater)... but something that won't overload your extension cord, of course... and turn it on while plugged into the same extension cord. Note the voltage reading on the multimeter again. You should noticed a voltage drop, but it shouldn't drop too far - probably no less than 20V than nominal. Anything less, and you may indeed have bad wiring / faulty connection somewhere.

Sensitive breakers?
                      Could also be a breaker on its way out.

How old is the building you live in? Was it remodeled recently, particularly anything on the electrical system?

What about telling us which breaker tripped - living room, kitchen, bedroom, or bathroom? What was going on at the time? (I.e. thunderstorm, nearby construction, etc.) The more information we have, the closer we can get to narrowing down the problem. Going by what people say to you without giving them information will usually not get you to any useful or correct conclusion.

It's possible. Just not very likely.

If you did have weak wiring, you'd notice it probably everytime you plug in something power-heavy into your outlets, as the bigger load would stress the wiring more and the effects of any weak connection will be more pronounced. Hence why I suggested you do the hair driyer test.

I don't know if floating neutral applies to you. In the US, most households (mainly individual houses, and not condo buildings that use 3-phase 208V AC) are wired to a center-tapped 240V secondary on the street traffo, giving 2x 120V phases 180 degrees out of phase (so that larger appliances can use the difference between the two taps for full 240V, whereas individual standard plugs are wired to each phase for 120V.) With a floating neutral - i.e. center tap connection from transformer to house ground/neutral becomes weak/lost. This can cause the house neutral to drift around depending on the loads connected on each phase at any given time, and that can lead to one phase going quite a bit over 120V and the other quite a bit under, to the point where electronics burn out.

In Europe, if I understand/remember correctly, most households take in only a single-phase 230V AC (or 3-phase if you have industrial/commercial power available as an option, which some small shops do), so I don't think the floating neutral applies to you.
                      Building from 2005. Wasnt remodeled recently.
                      Each time 2 small breakers tripped. One breaker for wall sockets and second breaker for lights.So all electricity goes down.
                      Also when bulb blowed it was a day. When monitor psu it was night.
                      Last edited by sew333; 09-09-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X