No announcement yet.

Quality solder iron tips and Kapton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality solder iron tips and Kapton ?

solder choice is key,
    i only use stannol solder.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks fancy. I have a spool of AIM solder that I like, I thought he was talking about solder paste.

Comment

Sorry for my english. I need wire but I’m looking paste too. For soldering 0402, I fix one with a hand, I have iron in my other hand and I have no third hand for add solder. I guess it’s could be easy to first « glue » component with a little bit of paste, and solder one side with iron. The component will should not move anymore. And finish with iron and wire for soldering 2 sides.

For wire, wich one Stannol pls ? There is lot of models. I saw one with 3.5% flux.

Comment

i use https://www.tme.eu/en/details/sn100k...tannol/810916/
          but i think you need something thinner

Comment

Ok thanks, I will try this brand, but probably buy with lead at first.

Comment

flux choice is important,
              1st rule - Halide is good!

so ones i would choose are kristall511 or HS10
              kristall is synthetic, HS10 is a blend with rosin in it.
              in the solder i mean - not seperate flux.

Comment

Originally posted by corrize View Post
                Sorry for my english. I need wire but I'm looking paste too. For soldering 0402, I fix one with a hand, I have iron in my other hand and I have no third hand for add solder. I guess it's could be easy to first « glue » component with a little bit of paste, and solder one side with iron. The component will should not move anymore. And finish with iron and wire for soldering 2 sides.

For wire, wich one Stannol pls ? There is lot of models. I saw one with 3.5% flux.
                Why do you need a third hand ? Place your solder where you're able to get some on your tip. Put your component in place and hold it there while getting some solder on your tip and solder one side in place.

Comment

Thanks,

I dont tryed to put solder on tip. I learned to solder many years ago and I learnd we must put solder only on component and not on tip. But with flux, yes, that could be possible.

I’ll probably try HS10, with lead. It seems halide is only in lead free solder wire. I prefer a low melt for solder-disolder with hot air without moving other components.

Comment

Halide is needed to solder to metals like brass.
                    that may not sound important till you have to put a wire on a microswitch for example!

Comment

Originally posted by corrize View Post
                      Thanks,

I dont tryed to put solder on tip. I learned to solder many years ago and I learnd we must put solder only on component and not on tip. But with flux, yes, that could be possible.
                      This may be true but at least you will be able to get the component in place and then clean the joint and reapply fresh solder as necessary. All with two hands.

Comment

Thanks, yes indeed, I did saw NorthridgeFIx doing that with bevel and blade (good) tips and (good) flux) and solder. I have too bad tips and solder, but I ordered a T12 iron (Quiko), I’ll should be able to do it soon.

Where are you buy T12 tips pls ? I looked Ksger’ official store on AE but they don’t have lot of tips. I will try short bent tip, but I’m hesitating between bevel and blade for use the desoldering braid, and for apply solder ?

For Kapton, I tryed 400C (750F) and it become soft and floats with hot air but does not retract. A good one.

Comment

for wide braid i use a blade tip "K",
                          for small braid i like "JL02" bent tip.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            for small braid i like "JL02" bent tip.
                            Do you really get good heat conduction on that tiny tip?

Comment

i dont use the tip, i use the bend

but it does get hot enough to melt solder at the tip.
                              if i want to do that though i switch to the ILS

Comment

I received the tips from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001204730953.html

I only tried one tip so far, the same tip that came with my hakko 888d. It's not quite as quick to deliver heat as the stock one, but still pretty good. Certainly servicable and I hope to get much use out of them. If my appraisal of them changes, I'll update.

It's miles better than the generic 900m tips I bought that I could barely melt solder with.

Comment

Tried two more tips, one large chisel for soldering xt60 connectors, melted the solder into the large cups nicely. The other was a smaller bevel for soldering wires. No regrets about this purchase. I also printed a stand to hold the tips where I can see them because unless they are within easy reach, I probably wouldn't bother to use them. I imagine the really fine tips will wear quickly, but I don't forsee really using those unless I have something that specifically requires it.

So far so good.

Comment

Working...
                                  X