Clear All

Pin 8 on the bios is shorted to ground

Fellow brothers

Kindly assist with the Following:
    MSI Gaming Laptop
    Model number: MS-1799
    Motherboard no:MS - 16J91
    VER: 1.0

The bios chip is shorted, i removed the bios chip from the board but short is still there, pin 8 of the bios chip which I believe it 3.3v it shorted to ground, pin 1 and pin 2 are shorted to ground as well, pin 5 and 6 as well

I injected 3.3v on pin 8, nothing is getting hot on the board, i even limited the current to 4 Amps but still nothing is getting hot

Again there is coil which is shorted straight to ground, I believe it 3.3v output, still when i inject 1v there nothing is getting hot yet the board is taking 4 Amps

Im totally confused

Can someone help me please .
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 05-21-2020, 05:10 AM.

Re: Pin 8 on the bios is shorted to ground

Check if PCH die warms up when injecting on 3.3V rail.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

You should observe a warming up of component at least, unless the short is below 1 ohms. Also replace the wire you use for injecting 3.3v. You need a larger diameter wire or else, nothing will heat up.
      Last edited by whaldsz; 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by whaldsz View Post
        You should observe a warming up of component at least, unless the short is below 1 ohms. Also replace the wire you use for injecting 3.3v. You need a larger diameter wire or else, nothing will heat up.
        highly agreed, im gonna use a larger wire, it 000, straight to ground and my wire is getting hot instead, im gonna change my wire tomorrow and update you guys

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
          Check if PCH die warms up when injecting on 3.3V rail.
          thank you so much my brother, i did that, i even removed the heat sink and poured alcohol, no movement and nothing heating up

Comment

Check again if your wire is heating up. Shorten your wire if possible. Inspect using microscope if you have, could be a shorted large cap or the PCH is busted. You might need to leave it for 5-15 min and get back to it to check which area is warming up.

Comment

Agreed with others opinion-very likely its shorted PCH.

Comment

Working...
              X