Anyone here who has an electronics repair business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here who has an electronics repair business

I have a question regarding a fair amount to charge for diagnosing electronics in my repair shop. I have been doing free diagnosis. Most of the time its fine, but what does a guy do when they get a tv in their shop that they know is probably not repairable and most likely hard to find parts for, or get a tv where no fault is found.

I have been getting my share of shit work lately. Its always LED tvs. I diagnose the problem as bad LED strips, but can't find parts, or when I do find the LEDs, they want a rediculous amount for it. The customer decides to just donate the tv for parts. Its great to add free boards to my inventory, but doesn't help my bottom line. If I diagnose bad LEDs and don't find parts, I still feel I should get paid for my time, especially if they want the TV back.

What is a fair amount to charge to diagnose? Do I just keep doing it for free? Would love to hear from fellow business owners?

Re: Anyone here who has an electronics repair business

Watch my video, hopefully will make your life alot easier:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwdC7V5Ue0

I do free diagnoses as most faults I know the issue straight away with barely any diagnoses with almost every Tv I get. Free diagnoses normally means that customers will go with you as the word FREE always catches their eye.
    Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM.
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post

I do free diagnoses as most faults I know the issue straight away with barely any diagnoses with almost every Tv I get. Free diagnoses normally means that customers will go with you as the word FREE always catches their eye.
      Watching your video now.

Comment

I also have another but the one linked is easiest. There is no laws at all against this type of repair and yes people do consider it as a bodge but then again the Tv was sent out as a ticking time bomb anyway so mares while fix it and keep it going for a while.
        Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

It's only an interest for me now but as tech2014 says the word free is an attraction. Perhaps you could limit the time spent on every diagnoses. If some customers are donating their TV's then you do have some return on your time spent and could use parts to complete further repairs.
          Last edited by dick_barton; 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM.
          Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
            It's only an interest for me now but as tech2014 says the word free is an attraction. Perhaps you could limit the time spent on every diagnoses. If some customers are donating their TV's then you do have some return on your time spent and could use parts to complete further repairs.
            yes. When they donate their TV because of cracked panel or no parts available, it does help me with future repairs, if I get the same model in my shop.

Comment

Your video was excellent, great idea!!!
              I do have a hot air station so could you just replace the entire LED or is the stacking method the easiest way. You mentioned the hot air in your video.

Comment

Awesome glad to help Yes I have another video of where I replaced the Led direct, go on to my channel and its named "Led Tv Sound No Picture Repair" that covers directly replacing the Led diodes.

Comment

Here is the link to the other video which I use hotair:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0uBhca7zyXI

Comment

Awesome glad to help Yes I have another video of where I replaced the Led direct, go on to my channel and its named "Led Tv Sound No Picture Repair" that covers directly replacing the Led diodes.
                    Awesome, I will check it out.

Comment

Nice one, hope it saves you some time and money

Comment

Another great video!!! I will make money and save time, thank you very much.

BTW, I do have some LED strips in my shop. I will be removing some LEDs. Can these LEDs be used in all LED strips or just certain model TV?

Comment

Yeah most Tv's some use different lenses but almost all use the same style of Led. Glad to help

Comment

I charge a small fee for estimates. But take that off any repair that is done,I also collect and return from customers home, doing home repairs if I can, I have found that by diagnosing for free, some customer will thank you take there sets and then go off to eBay and buy the part that you have told them is faulty?I have seen four repair shop close in the last two years around me( I brought there stock for my own shop) and sorry you tube videos showing how to do DIY repairs has a lot to do with the fall in repairs as well

Comment

Had a customer go online to find a cheaper board, and thought we were ripping him off. We decided on him ordering the board himself and installing it when he brings it in. Still charging for labor for diagnosis.

Comment

I have a shop with a notice on the till explaining that there is a £25 upfront charge for a Tv repair. This comes off the final bill and covers my labour charge and an insurance estimate, if required. You are not a charity..try going into a garage for a free estimate and see what happens. I will give free help - to a degree - over the phone.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I have changed my fee structure since I can repair most devices brought to my shop, so the fee is credited towards the final bill. My shop is located in the basement of my house, and I am the only employee so no overhead costs so i can charge less. Can someone take a look at my site and let me know what you think?

http://www.mikeselectronicsrepair.com

Comment

Hello,
                                    Just my opinion and I'm no expert.

The site looks just fine but personally I would get rid of the space then dot at the end of the Home Electronic Repair and insert a line space between that text and the pictures below.

Does the page have the ability to display testimonials.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                      Hello,
                                      Just my opinion and I'm no expert.

The site looks just fine but personally I would get rid of the space then dot at the end of the Home Electronic Repair and insert a line space between that text and the pictures below.

Does the page have the ability to display testimonials.

Good luck
                                      Thanks for the input, I made the changes you suggested. I can create a page for testimonials. I do have customer reviews on my Facebook page. Should I add a link to the Reviews part of my Facebook page?

Comment

Again just a personal opinion but I would have a link just like you have for the Diagnosis Fee button to my Testimonial page.
                                        Last edited by dick_barton; 04-01-2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X