Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's Main Rig V6

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    I did read of people BIOS modding the liscenses in... but that screams trouble. I've already fought the BIOS gods and lost on this board, and I don't quite have the cojones to go there, especially since it's not a well documented mod and I'm not an x86 assembly expert.
    If it ain't fucked, don't fix it and post #15 suggests ; the unlucky fairies come to play quite often/the devil makes work for idle hands.

I've only known one person with an SLI installation. I don't remember the cards but there was lots of faff getting it set right and the gains weren't great.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      I wouldn't say that....more along the lines of what diif said... They aren't targeting the gamer crowd, and hence, not a lot of demand for SLI support amongst their target audience. I was only doing it to tinker around....I had no intention of actually using that system for anything gaming and/or productive.
      It was the directory the X58 drivers are in on their web site, LOL
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

For a variety of reasons, I moved this system to windows 10 tonight.

Good news:

-Activation worked out.
        -Most things work out of the box.
        -Once I installed classic shell and reconfigured some things, it seems to be OK to use.

Bad news:

-Intel network teaming is not supported. Not that I was really gaining anything from using such. Bummer though.

If this works I may do the same with my other systems new enough to be compatible... I remembered what happened when XP lost support... at least for me stuff seemed to get infected a bunch all of the sudden (don't know why, I don't go to BS sites or the like). Hence why I migrated to W7 at that point.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

While working on another build, I've discovered an issue:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=955091

The issue is my GPU is lagging/bottlnecking like a SOB. I've played musical GPUs, and the issue is the system, not the GPUs.

In novabench, I should be getting around 60FPS... I'm getting around 13-15. consistently.

Also, I'm having intermittent keyboard lag, but I suspect that might be a logitech unifying issue. I might swap the keyboard and mouse for wired units as a test to see if anything changes.
          sigpic

Comment

Possibly a chipset driver issue.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              Possibly a chipset driver issue.
              ...and Intel has none listed for windows 10, nor does SM. It uses dual Intel 5520 chipsets. Windows is using default drivers dated to 2006.

However, I did some digging and apparently the windows 7 drivers are also marked for windows 8 and 8.1... and successfully installed.

Rebooting, will try again.
              sigpic

Comment

...and Intel has none listed for windows 10, nor does SM. It uses dual Intel 5520 chipsets. Windows is using default drivers dated to 2006.

However, I did some digging and apparently the windows 7 drivers are also marked for windows 8 and 8.1... and successfully installed.

Rebooting, will try again.
                Nope, no change in FPS.

Might need to scour the BIOS settings... this is lame.
                sigpic

Comment

Windows is using default drivers dated to 2006.
                  Windows, since Vista, usually shows 2006, even Windows 10, for Vista's sake! LOL!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

No, it is not for Vistas sake: it is so that if you have a third party driver it will be newer than the Windows in-box driver.
                    And so Windows should not try to overwrite it with the in-box driver.
                    P.S: This worked fine up until the train-wreck known as Windows 10.
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I think the issue is Novabench, not the system.

Ran catzilla, and got a very good score:

I've been getting scores in the 11000-13000 range on my other GTX970 based systems... this one is the fastest, and the benchmark shows it.

Go figure.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

I've done bricked her again... in a vain attempt to try get some less obnoxious fan curves, I decided to update the BIOS (which was already updated! )... and also the CPU microcode. BAD idea to do on the same boot... corrupted the BIOS checksum per hooking up over a null serial cable.

Sadly, all it's doing is giving that message with no way to tell it to shut up and take a new file.

Somewhere I probably have the new chip I bought several years ago... maybe. It's been a long time...

Alternatively, I'm keeping my eyes open for an X9DAX series board. They're EEATX like the X8DAH I have now, and will do LGA2011 V2 CPUs (Ivy bridge). In theory my RAM would move over (would need to get two more modules to make the channels line up), and possibly my dynatron coolers as well (supposedly LGA2011 uses the same setup, only with an integrated backplate). Now If I can catch a board for less than $170 (the current common price for the cheapest variant on eBay).
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Alternatively, I'm keeping my eyes open for an X9DAX series board. They're EEATX like the X8DAH I have now, and will do LGA2011 V2 CPUs (Ivy bridge). In theory my RAM would move over (would need to get two more modules to make the channels line up), and possibly my dynatron coolers as well (supposedly LGA2011 uses the same setup, only with an integrated backplate). Now If I can catch a board for less than $170 (the current common price for the cheapest variant on eBay).
                          Actually, if anything, I'd want to go for an X9DAE. Sure, it wouldn't fill my case, but the CPU layout matches my air duct a lot better, and according to SM it supports SLI!... the latter is what sets it apart from the X9DAI and X9DA7 workstation boards

Oh the trouble I could get myself into... Although if anything, that would be an upgrade for my wife's dual opteron (2000 series) which is already SLI'd. Right now the boards are unobtainium (other than the $600+ scab sellers).

Back to fixing what I got...
                          sigpic

Comment

is SLI really even a 'thing' anymore? I rarely see people doing it now.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              is SLI really even a 'thing' anymore? I rarely see people doing it now.
                              It's not worth the $$ for only a ~1.2-1.5 increase in performance. I've heard some games have issues with it, or just run worse
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                It's not worth the $$ for only a ~1.2-1.5 increase in performance. I've heard some games have issues with it, or just run worse
                                Ran fine on WoW when my wife runs it on her SLI setup (dual GTX 970's).

Also, y'all know me... some of these things are more in the category of "because I can" and less "because I should".

---

She's fixed. Serial trick again. Forgot that I have to connect as soon as it powers up and answer the prompts very, very quickly.

Why am I such a freaking IDIOT?
                                sigpic

Comment

Glad she's going again!

...and I do understand the "I know it's not practical, but I'm doing it just for the hell of it" mentality. I'm a charter member of that club!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                  Team : 49813
                                  Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

It's not worth the $$ for only a ~1.2-1.5 increase in performance.
                                    That's if you're lucky.
                                    Most games these days don't even optimize for SLI anymore or any multi-GPU setup.

In other words, SLI is... dead, Jim!

I've heard some games have issues with it, or just run worse
                                    Indeed. Have to check carefully each game you want to play and see how it does - that means not only average framerates, but also frametimes. There are games out there that will pump out really high average FPS, but the low FPS dips and frametimes can be full of spikes, which can make the performance choppy. And SLI can actually make that worse in some of them.

Originally posted by Ratdude747
                                    Ran fine on WoW when my wife runs it on her SLI setup (dual GTX 970's).
                                    WoW, from what I know, is a fairly-well optimized game... and not to mention quite old, so of course it's going to run on that 970. Question is, are there any benefits from the SLI or not. I would try it with one card and then SLI and compare FPS and frametimes, as mentioned above (MSI Afterburner is a good tool for that... though Fraps will still do in a pinch.)

If not getting any benefits, you're just burning extra power and heating up components more in the system, potentially decreasing their useful life... not to mention paying extra for electricity.

But I get ya... you just like building systems in a certain way, and that's the way it is. On that note, the most impractical system I ever built was a few years back when I used to work at MC - had a guy buy a bunch of hardware and ask to assemble it for him. System had a top-shelf (back then) 2011 gaming board, most expensive CPU that could fit said board, maxed out RAM, and 2x GTX 1080 TI is SLI (and these had just come out a few months prior, so they were expensive as heck and hard to get too!) But then he brought his older PC and asked if I could just transfer the HDD from that into the new system with the working Windows 10 and all. I was like and told him it probably wouldn't work, but he still wanted me to try. So I did and... it actually worked - at least Windows 10 booted to desktop OK... which is all he wanted me to do (he said he would install the drivers himself and whatnot.) I asked him why not at least clone the old HDD (an older mechanical spinner) to a new SSD and get some speed increase while at it. He said this was his desktop PC he uses for surfing and office work. Me:
                                    Clearly, that build was a case of I want the PC built this way, because I want to burn some money rather than doing something that made sense for his application. He was a very vocal guy too, so I didn't ask that many questions afterwards. Customer is always right, after all, right?

Originally posted by Ratdude747
                                    She's fixed. Serial trick again.
                                    That's always good to hear.
                                    Well... until next time, at least.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 03-28-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      Indeed. Have to check carefully each game you want to play and see how it does - that means not only average framerates, but also frametimes. There are games out there that will pump out really high average FPS, but the low FPS dips and frametimes can be full of spikes, which can make the performance choppy. And SLI can actually make that worse in some of them.

WoW, from what I know, is a fairly-well optimized game... and not to mention quite old, so of course it's going to run on that 970. Question is, are there any benefits from the SLI or not. I would try it with one card and then SLI and compare FPS and frametimes, as mentioned above (MSI Afterburner is a good tool for that... though Fraps will still do in a pinch.)

If not getting any benefits, you're just burning extra power and heating up components more in the system, potentially decreasing their useful life... not to mention paying extra for electricity.
                                      I know it's not a game, but I did several Catzilla benchmarks... from that system's thread (which I never posted the finished build, apparently???):

Was finally able to run catzilla…

Single GPU system (the mismatched evga gtx 970 SSC) for comparison (dual low voltage xeon hapertowns):

SLI is indeed working... almost double in the gpu parameters. Yay?
                                      That wasn't on the final setup either. Running off a single clay pigeon HDD... among other things optimized later. But the GPU scores were doubled, which indicates that SLI was making a substantial difference, at least in that case.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as Nvidia and OEMs supports it, it can't be dead... practicality aside.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 03-28-2021, 02:58 PM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Clearly, that build was a case of I want the PC built this way, because I want to burn some money rather than doing something that made sense for his application.
                                        probably he is thinking that the most powerful computer will last a long time before needing an upgrade, so it could be that he likes holding on to a system for as long as possible before upgrading because its too slow.

however, the problem with that logic nowadays is that modern junk doesnt last, so the mobo, video card or psu will fail in a few years, so that puts a spanner in the works of what he's trying to do...

thats why i get all my stuff used and second hand now. aint paying top dollar for junk that doesnt ever last long. besides being kinder on my wallet, getting used stuff also helps to reduce e-waste and is good for the environment.

next, regarding multi-gpu systems, i also have to agree with ratdude that they arent dead because multi-gpu gaming systems can now be re-purposed to mine cryptocurrency. with the price of bitcoin hitting 50 grand, its getting more lucrative to mine cryptocurrency again.
                                        Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 03-28-2021, 09:42 PM. Reason: added multi-gpu comments.

Comment

That wasn't on the final setup either. Running off a single clay pigeon HDD... among other things optimized later. But the GPU scores were doubled, which indicates that SLI was making a substantial difference, at least in that case.
                                          For the record, I just catzilla'd it in it's final form:

A bit better... not as good as this thread's actual system (per a prior post) but the GPU scores are what made it worth building. For games that are more GPU intensive this isn't a bad setup... which WOW certainly isn't. Dunno. It ran well and I happened to have half the hardware sitting (and I needed another win10 capable workstation anyway)... but that's for that system's thread; I need to figure out where my pics went (or why I never posted them)...
                                          Attached Files
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X