Hanns G HW191D blinking power light no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanns G HW191D blinking power light no display

My brother brought me this LCD and asked me to fix it. Based on the info I can find its bad Caps most likely. I broke it down and one cap is definitely swollen ( labeled E) in pic and must be replaced. Checked the fuse with Ohm meter and tested good.

The Caps are listed as such:

a) Samxon 100uF 450V
    b) LeLon 470uF 25v
    c) SuScon 470uF 25v
    d) TEapo 1000uF 25v
    e) suScon 1000 uF 10v
    f) SuScon 47uF 25v
    G) Suscon 47uF 25v
    H) SuScon 47uF 25v
    I) Teapo 470uf 25v
    j) Suscon 10uf 25v
    k) Teapo 470uF 16v
    L) Teapo 470uF 16v
    M) SuScon 220uF 16V

Just need to know what to replace with (brand and possible improvement) and where to get them. Was not sure what you needed to see on board so included a small score of em.
    Thnx in advance

Niko

P.S. Just found out he had a electrical issue which took out half of his house. When he got it fixed the LCD no longer worked. That's what you get for buying a cheapo Walmart surge protector for $9.99. LOL
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nikorian; 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: needed to update

Re: Hanns G HW191D blinking power light no display

Hello Niko, welcome to badcaps. That was a very good first post. Especicially with those pictures and the description.

You can get those capacitors at digikey. You want to measure the height, diameter, and lead spacing. This page here will get you started. http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...1?k=capacitors
    For that "E" cap. Capacitance = 1000. Votage rating = 10v. Mounting type = through hole. Package/case = Radial, Can. Each time you check "apply filters" it narrows it down more and more. Most people out here recommend the Panasonic FM type if its available.
    Make sure you get 105C rated.

You mentioned he had a power problem. That may or may not be related to the lcd problem. A surge will often take out the main fuse. There's another fuse to check also. The yellow/orange one behind the "G" cap.

This board looks similar to the Viewsonic boards that I have repaired many times that only needs that one bloated cap changed to be fixed.

If you want, we could go through complete diagnostics. Including power on voltage checks. I'd probably just replace that 1000uF 10v and see if it doesn't fire up and give you a couple more years of LCD beautiness

Comment

Thnx Lumberjack,

That helps a lot. Got just a few more question are there brands to avoid? Second Digikey does not seem to carry the capacitor I am looking for could you recommend another source?

After a little tweaking I think I found it. Does this look right? Also does the height really matter? I found a 1mm shorter one with 7000 hrs lifespan. Could I use that instead.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=0&pageSize=25

this here is the 16mm one.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1504-ND/756020
      Last edited by Nikorian; 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM. Reason: needed more information added more info

Comment

I would replace that cap and see if it fires up, and if it does I would replace ALL of the Su'scon's and Teapo, and leave the Samxon caps

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
          I would replace that cap and see if it fires up, and if it does I would replace ALL of the Su'scon's and Teapo, and leave the Samxon caps

Thanx all. Placed order for all except the Samxon. Decided to try a cap job on an older Viewsonic VX1945 that quit working, while I was at it. Gotta love digi-key for prices and shipping options. Total project cost less than $20 for 2 monitors now if I can only see where I am soldering...LOL

Comment

Good job I love Digikey. I try to order large quantities of caps at a time though because I think Digikey has outrageous shipping charges ($16 for a 1 lb. package to Washington state using the lowest end slow shipping)
            Edit: Oh I see you live in Washington state too...haha
            Last edited by Pentium4; 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Good job I love Digikey. I try to order large quantities of caps at a time though because I think Digikey has outrageous shipping charges ($16 for a 1 lb. package to Washington state using the lowest end slow shipping)
              Edit: Oh I see you live in Washington state too...haha
              I must of lucked out shipping was only $5.23 for 25 caps. Not sure of weight. Maybe they had a special? Lets just hope UPS does not throw them from the truck all the way to the door...HEHEHEHE

Comment

Maybe that's why. I usually order over 150 caps at a time. UPS is pretty good about not doing that

Comment

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Thanks for helping out Pentium. Wow, this is an all Washington thread! Go Huskies! Hello sunshine!

Originally posted by Nikorian View Post
                  now if I can only see where I am soldering...LOL
                  I have the same problem. I can't see small details up close. I use a very strong pair of reading glasses when I solder. Really helps me solder just right, and also with small smd components. I got a really great soldering instruction video from retiredcaps. Here it is...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

I hope you checked that yellow/orange fuse next to the "G" cap. It's common for that fuse to burn out with a bad cap in the area.

You know Pentium, this is where I go against the grain somewhat. I fix scores of monitors every month for charity, and there's no way I could recap them all. I believe that if an inferior quality cap still has low esr after say 4 or 5 years. It'll probably still have low esr after another few years. I have not had a single monitor I fixed come back. (cept for 1 with a bad ccfl)

BUT.......... if a person is fixing it for their own personal use and has the time....why not replace more of the inferior caps. For sure man.

I guess I'm sort of a rebel from the "replace all the caps" crowd.

Maybe I'm a bad "bad capper"

It's finally summer, and we can actually see the sun again!

Comment

All Washington thread that must be a first! Yeah go Huskies! I live right by the University actually.

You are right, I shouldn't assume that everyone has a huge stock pile of caps with the right specs to where they can just replace all of the non Japanese caps. But yeah you should at least test them because I've seen wayyyy too many caps that look good but their ESR is 0.30+ I just especially like to replace them all in monitors because they have poor ventilation.

I know, I could get used to this sun!

Comment

Not trying to grave-dig here, however I'm trying to get some info. I have been trying to recap my HW191D, but my circuit board doesn't match the images here. It looks like this board is an integrated board containing both power supply and display output components where mine just has a separate power supply and display output board that connect to each other.
                      Anyway, I had already put three replacement caps on when I realized that I should have waited until I had gotten more sleep and had more to eat because I noticed I had replaced a 470uf 10v cap with a 1000uf 10v cap (can't power up the unit yet, still disassembled, so nothing exploding). The problem is, I don't know which of three capacitor positions the 470uf 10v cap was in, C847, C848, or C853, and I can't seem to find a service manual.

Comment

post a good clear straight on picture of your board using manage attachments
                        also what is the board part number
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I have to be honest, I don't know where the part number on the board is, but I've attached a picture of the board with the relevant caps highlighted and labeled.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Replace all the caps, and check the solder joints. While you're at it, check those output diodes. They usually hold up okay but might as well check them

Comment

Pentium 4 - dont think you have picked up on the problem? he has new caps just doesnt know where they go
                              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

That's sort of it. I thought I already had three replacement caps on hand, but I had, as a result of fatigue and low blood sugar, misidentified the one 470uf 10v cap that was blown (there's another that's seemingly good order, not bulging or yellowing on top) as a third 1000uf 10v cap and now I don't know which of the three highlighted cap positions was the original cap.

Thank God in heaven that one of the two 470uf 10v caps and the 100uf 10v cap still appear to be entirely good. It's just the two 1000uf caps, the FIVE 470uf 25v caps, and the one 470uf 10v cap that was by the two 1000uf caps that have fried. Maybe I ought to replace the two that appear still good, but right now I'm primarily concerned with only spending as much as I have to in order to put the monitor back in working order.
                                Last edited by LaineyBugsDaddy; 08-23-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

sorry about that

Comment

Did you not take any pictures or note what went where before you removed any?
                                    Did you buy a repair kit - perhaps email the seller and ask where they go?
                                    I have been looking for on line pictures but csnt find a good clear one.
                                    Are they different physcal size sixe.
                                    Can you post pictures of both sides of the old caps to help id them on pics without being able to read what it actually says.

Comment

I was tired and had low blood sugar so I didn't think of it because I thought I had correctly identified the three caps I removed and I wasn't thinking clearly at the time.
                                      No I didn't buy a repair kit, I was trying to use a few 1000uf 10v caps I had on hand to do part of the job.
                                      No, the physical size of all three blown caps was exactly the same.
                                      I'm not sure what good that last will do since they're all Elite brand and look pretty much the same.
                                      Last edited by LaineyBugsDaddy; 08-24-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Well If your not sure you should do as we ask !!!
                                        I have just spent an hour looking at different sets that use this board and eventually came up with this.
                                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VP-775-TJ7...-/201045419286

If you enlarge the picture I believe you can see which are the 2 1000uf caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X