X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi!
    Am from Sweden, found this forum while searching info on how to fix a HP Elitebook 850 G1 that won't Power on. But using an ASUS normally.

Comment

OK - I'm a retired? computer tech, former auto mechanic, who used to play around with old tube radios and TVs as a kid. I'd get old radios from the dump, the Radio College of Canada schematics, and tear them all down and rebuild one from 2 or 3. I got my first multi-meter when I was about 10 and rebuilt an old RCA short wave radio as my grade 7/8 summer project.
      I took the "master course in microcomputers and microprocessors" from NRI back in '86 / '87 and did some board level diagnostics and repairs as I built and modified the Sanyo 550 that came with the course and my old Radio Shack COCO2. Now I'm fiddling with TVs again as well as monitors.

Comment

Hi all, Trev here. Just joined hoping to increase the number of brain cells. Just reading some of the replies last night suggests there are some super intelligent beings on this planet who also have time to spare. Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate that these extroardinary people have the time and devotion to help us mere mortals.
        I am mostly into audio, building/repairing amplifiers (discrete semiconductor and valve), speakers, magnetics and some motor design. Grew up with an Amiga 500 (fully loaded), still have the system and 600 or so floppy's. Love building pc's and doing repairs although my current build has an issue. Won't retain bios setting after shut down. Replaced battery, same issue. So I have been just putting pc to sleep each night and doing a reboot every so many days/ Any ideas? Asus P6X58D with i7 X990 4.54GHz 24G triple ch and RX480 graphics. Great workhorse and never misses a beat until turned off. Power failures are a pain. Bios fails in Hibernate mode as well.
        Thanks all.
        Hope everyone has a Happy Easter at home.
        Trev.

Comment

Wow first computer was a Compaq Portable when dos was it for software. My neighbor and I bought and assembled computers when they were outdated every 6 months. Now close to retirement as master technician in HVAC business. Good at trouble shooting control circuits but not circuit boards. Had fun building D----TV boards when satellite beams were free. Looking to improve skills on TV diagnostics and trouble shooting.

PS. Now Fishing Guide on Gulf Coast.

Comment

Hi all Dave here from Ireland I am in the repair industry about 20 years. Started fixing computers manny years ago first computer was BBC LOL. I know fix mostly Mobile Phone Board problems

Comment

I am a 20-year-old student and collect electronics, old computers specifically. I'm currently living in Malta, Europe and will hopefully be getting my degree in software development soon. I own several systems including Amstrads, Silicon Graphics stuff, Amigas, Macs, a ZX Spectrum (toastrack version) and many others.

I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Dell's workstations until I got my first Fujitsu Siemens Celsius R610 with a Quadro FX 3000. I mean, I still like Dells but I hate that almost every single one I've had has crapped out on me one way or another, probably due to the capacitor problem.

I'm also in the RC hobby. I own a nitro monster truck which is so much fun to drive, although I must admit nitro is frustrating sometimes. I guess that's all; there isn't much to say!

Comment

I am new to here hoping to get assistance getting a tv up and running.

Comment

Hi, I'm Spike. I'm using some downtime during the pandemic to take care of the electronic work I haven't been able to get to, starting with recapping the motherboard from my Optiplex 740, which I use as a firewall. If that goes well, I've got a trio of semi-working compact Macs I'd like to try getting back to fully functional. ...And a few other old Dells. ...and a Commodore. and a 5150 clone. ...and... XD

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hello, I came here to get some help in reverse engineering a "Mid 2012 13" MacBook Air".

So... I guess you now know I like to reverse engineer stuffs...

Comment

Hello

Comment

Hello,
                          I am 40+ guy from Canada called Yaroslav.
                          Found this forum when was searching for solution to overcome an issue with my HP comp.
                          Worked a lot with comps before but now feel outdated, but then was carried away by different things in life, like job, kids, now I am trying to bring myself up-to-speed

Comment

Hi All,

I'm a IT engineer from London, been tinkering with electronics since I was a Kid.
                            I make a good salary - so could just buy new things when they break, but hate letting things go to waste. So here I am ...

J

Comment

Hi Everyone, I am a hobbyists electronics technician. I love collecting capacitors also! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Comment

hi

Comment

Hello, I decided to join because I followed along on a forum that helped me fix my TV and am looking for advice on my next project!

Comment

Hi
                                    Don here. Retired EE.
                                    Like trying to keep my electronics going.
                                    Thanks all

Comment

My username says it all: I am Ken from KCN Works, of Salmon Arm, BC, from 1991 to 1999, then Calgary from 1999 to 2012. Over that time, we processed over 25,000 units of various electronics.

KCN Works was primarily a wholesale level satellite repair depot, for in- and post- warranty repair of Houston Tracker/Echostar, Uniden, and Chappral satellite receivers, and then later the small dish equipment, and what did almost everything share in common: switched mode power supplies. I repaired and upgraded thousands of these.

When I need a break from repairs, I wrote articles for two of the satellite TV magazines of the era. I went to most of the satellite TV conventions in Western Canada, and remember most of the daytime events.

I see that Topcat sells caps kits, to replace lowest cost OEM SMPS electrolytics with much better units, and that was my business model too: use better quality parts than OEM, because it's so easy to find better parts.

When I decided it was time to get out of satellite, because it turned into 90% pirate TV hacking, and 10% actual repairs, I went back to working for the Man, as an electronics designer, for real-time data collection systems, and I did all the software for these systems.

Now I repair the electronics from my extended family, and I still create new toys, garden, and mix tons of concrete for projects in my little one acre yard near the sea.

I expect I'll post from time to time on techniques for analysis of SMPS failures, but the basics are low tech: replace all the caps, every single one, with better quality units.

Ken

Comment

Hello, I'm getting a good vibe here. Look forward to learning as much as I can. Thank you

Comment

Hi, I'm an electrical engineer from Czech Republic. I'm working as hardware designer and a bit like a programmer. We are focused to optical sensors. Currently i'm trying repair my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                                          X