Supermicro PDSBE with you guessed it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supermicro PDSBE with you guessed it...

...bad caps! I was really shocked by this one, its the first Supermicro board that's crossed my bench with bad caps since the 370DL3/DLE P3 days....but low & behold, it was UCC that spoiled it (1000uF 10v KZG).....should have known.... Anyway, its on the record now. Sad sad Day (incase any of you were wondering, I'm a staunch Supermicro fan)!!

Attached Files
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Supermicro PDSBE with you guessed it...

Nothing is bullet proof if not cared for properly (my guess is bad case cooling and those KZG's where they are located would have lasted alot longer.).

Comment

^
      I actually asked about that (thought the same thing you did). When the client told me the model and how recent it was, I was having a hard time believing it..... It was in a supermicro workstation case....well vented and maintained.... With the exception of the NRSY mess with SM in the P3 days, every other SM board I've encountered was phased out because it was becoming an antique before it ever broke down. The KZG's just shit the bed like they do for everyone else....
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

well, i'd rather it be fixable like caps and not something worse...
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

is it just the pic or are the ones between the pci slots below the realtek chip bulging too?
          no surprise on the kzg.
          you would think after the nrsy fiasco they would be more careful.

Comment

^
            Its the pic, there were no others failed. All the rest of the lytics were Sanyo WG series, and there were 3x 1800uF 16v MBZ's. It was just the UCC KZG's that wrecked their day.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

yeah why the hell would they put all sanyos and just two kgzs?

supermicro still does use kgz's on some of thier budget server boards to this day
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The only Supermicro boards avaiable in Australia are the expensive server ones, so I've never seen a supermicro board for real.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post

supermicro still does use kgz's on some of thier budget server boards to this day
                  Some of the budget Supermicro boards seem to be no better than typical consumer boards.
                  Especially a more recent one that only supports a paltry 2 GB of RAM!
                  Come on Supermicro!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                    Because KZG look good on paper. The news from the Internet hasn't trickled up to the engineers yet. Besides, what do those Internet fools know anyways...
                    sig files are for morons

Comment

With the exception of the NRSY mess with SM in the P3 days
                      Can you elaborate? Are you saying that NC NRSY series are no good?
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

^
                        No, there used to be a knock off of them -branded- NRSY.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                          Because KZG look good on paper. The news from the Internet hasn't trickled up to the engineers yet. Besides, what do those Internet fools know anyways...
                          Don't worry, once I graduate college and get a job as an engineer, I won't stoop to that level. However, I can attest that most engieneers are clueless about bad caps, gutless wonders, and anything "pratical" of this nature.

Like thinking a gutless "450W diablotek would do 450W just because "it [or the datasheet} says so". At least for a diablotek it wasn't too bad... still junk IMHO .
                          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                          X