Team Stats

Re: The "leaked" Windows 11

It's real
    Attached Files
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

More info on The Register https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/...eak_microsoft/

Comment

25+ year of Windows and all that 6 figure $oftware developer$ working at a Trillion dollar company and they spend time working on "rounded corners"????

What about working on real features like making the new OS less fat, less bloatware, less spyware, less DRAM and disk space usage, making it boot faster on mechanical hard drives (especially 5400 rpm laptops) vs making people buy SSDs, supporting existing and older peripherals so that manufactures don't need new Windows 11 drivers.

How about fixing STUPID UI behaviours like the following. I noticed in Windows 10 that when you click shutdown, the LCD display goes off, but you can hear the mechanical hard drive still spinning for maybe up to 10 seconds before it quits.

So I'm if watching my lcd monitor going into standby mode and hit my power bar off switch, I am forcing Windows 10 off when it's still writing to the hard drive and possibly corrupting the file system. How, the hell, after 25+ years of Windows that they can't get this UI right?

While running Lubuntu on the same hardware, when I click shutdown, it shows the Lubuntu logo plus some blue dots doing animation. Once the blue dots stops, the lcd monitor goes off and the hard drive stops spinning at the same time meaning it's safe to shutdown without fear of corrupting your drive unlike Windows 10.

I'll be using Lubuntu 22.04 in April 2022 and Lubuntu 24.04 in April 2024. I left the Windows world in April 2014 after XP support ended and haven't regretted it since.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's expected to get taken down, for being a leak. Lumen shows a copyright infringement complaint. Rightly.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I saw this a while back:
            https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/25/2...d-2021-keynote

(It's a really shitty website, but the original source is a 20-minute video with too many buzzwords for me to handle)

Soon we will share one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade to unlock greater economic opportunity for developers and creators. I’ve been self-hosting it over the past several months, and I’m incredibly excited about the next generation of Windows. Our promise to you is this: we will create more opportunity for every Windows developer today and welcome every creator who is looking for the most innovative, new, open platform to build and distribute and monetize applications. We look forward to sharing more very soon.
            It sounds like marketing speak for putting ads in the OS. "Just a second, don't worry, Solidworks will start after this totally lit bro message that do be fire!" (Why do messages in Microsoft software read like some teenager's social media posts? Who wants that? Why do they have to write everything like someone who got the "we need more art in school" education?)

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            It's funny when the installer says that you'll have full control over your device (at around 1:45 in that video). If you change a Windows setting in Windows 10, it will randomly reset back to the default. Also, if you uninstall one of the bundled programs, it will reinstall itself at some random time in the future. Strangely, I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about that. My laptop just reinstalled the Dolby audio raping software, and this version of it doesn't allow you to disable the "enhancements." I don't have a USB DAC, but I get the feeling that the "enhancements" will also affect them.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            What about working on real features like making the new OS less fat, less bloatware, less spyware, less DRAM and disk space usage, making it boot faster on mechanical hard drives (especially 5400 rpm laptops) vs making people buy SSDs, supporting existing and older peripherals so that manufactures don't need new Windows 11 drivers.
            They won't listen (especially the "less spyware" part - everything spies on you, and the average person loves it because they can control their kitchen faucet from their phone instead of reaching over and moving the handle). If you don't like it, some troll will call you a Luddite. You have to embrace change, even when it's objectively bad.

How about fixing STUPID UI behaviours like the following. I noticed in Windows 10 that when you click shutdown, the LCD display goes off, but you can hear the mechanical hard drive still spinning for maybe up to 10 seconds before it quits.

So I'm if watching my lcd monitor going into standby mode and hit my power bar off switch, I am forcing Windows 10 off when it's still writing to the hard drive and possibly corrupting the file system. How, the hell, after 25+ years of Windows that they can't get this UI right?
            I noticed that too. I haven't tested it yet, but I wonder if that's the "fast start" thing where Windows closes all running programs and hibernates instead of shutting down. When Windows hibernates, the display immediately turns off.
            Last edited by lti; 06-19-2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
              I haven't tested it yet, but I wonder if that's the "fast start" thing where Windows closes all running programs and hibernates instead of shutting down. When Windows hibernates, the display immediately turns off.
              On Lubuntu, I'm not treated like an idiot. I get hibernate, leave, logout, reboot, shutdown and suspend as options. So if I want hibernate or suspend, I can choose that, but I usually always want my systems to be properly shutdown so the file system is not corrupted.

And Windows 10 would start a lot faster if didn't load all those services and apps that I never need or use. I estimate that 80% could removed and still function fine for most users who use Windows 10 + a browser for 95% of their time.

In Lubuntu, I can permanently remove services and daemons just once and not worry about them being reinstalled without my permission. Removing these also reduces my surface attack vector and lowers my DRAM usage and improves overall stability.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If you don't like it, some troll will call you a Luddite. You have to embrace change, even when it's objectively bad.
                Sounds like what some companies, who bow to a dictator or a dictator-wannabe, will tell you!
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Microsoft knows they're losing ground. Just look at the package manager feature they just put into W10. Yea, like that's gonna win back users. You've got a LOT more to fix before I even THINK about reinstalling your malware on my main computer.
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

On Lubuntu, I'm not treated like an idiot. I get hibernate, leave, logout, reboot, shutdown and suspend as options. So if I want hibernate or suspend, I can choose that, but I usually always want my systems to be properly shutdown so the file system is not corrupted.

And Windows 10 would start a lot faster if didn't load all those services and apps that I never need or use. I estimate that 80% could removed and still function fine for most users who use Windows 10 + a browser for 95% of their time.

In Lubuntu, I can permanently remove services and daemons just once and not worry about them being reinstalled without my permission. Removing these also reduces my surface attack vector and lowers my DRAM usage and improves overall stability.
                    Windows 10 starts crazy fast for me from a shutdown due to UEFI. Restarts are different. That is closest to your real boot time

W10 runs pretty fast on anything with an SSD. It's the main bottleneck. With NVMe becoming more prevalent, default bloatware makes less difference.

I remember when Vista came out with required specs that were fake, because hardware wasn't really ready to go from XP to such a redone OS

Hardware prices and capabilities caught up. Now windows 10 from a default install is lightning fast on an i3 10100 with 8gb of ram and a Samsung Evo plus (system I built recently)

I think 10 and 11 will likely stay about the same with resources and hardware will just get faster and cheaper that blazing fast computers don't really require much

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      Windows 10 starts crazy fast for me from a shutdown due to UEFI. Restarts are different. That is closest to your real boot time
                      If you turn off fast startup, those times will match.

Comment

If you turn off fast startup, those times will match.
                        Yup. I don't care. Unless I see an issue I'll leave it on

Comment

Unless things change significantly between now and release (or after release if they don't get the adoption rate they want), it looks like Windows 11 is only going to be for new or relatively new hardware, based on the hardware requirements Microsoft released. It looks like it is going to require an 8th gen or newer intel "i" series (or their pentium/celeron varrients) or the AMD equivalent (Ryzen, Threadripper, etc.), a Direct X12 video card (easy upgrade for a desktop, but not so much for a laptop or SFF/all in one), and a TPM (trusted platform module) 2.0 or newer, which is going to rule out allot of existing hardware.

Originally posted by Microsoft
                          Hardware requirements
                          To install or upgrade to Windows 11, devices must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:

-Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC). Compatible CPU list

-RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.

-Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.

-Additional storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features.

-Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.

-System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.

-TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.

-Display: High definition (720p) display, 9" or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.

-Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
                          https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...1-requirements

Windows 11 supported Intel CPUs:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

Windows 11 supported AMD CPUs:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors

If these requirements hold true Microsoft is going to be making a ton of relatively recent hardware obsolete (at least if you want to stick with Windows).

It also looks like the "home" version will not work without a microsoft account (not sure if you'll still be able to "cheat" on this like Win 10 by installing without a network connection though).
                          Originally posted by Microsoft
                          Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.
                          Last edited by dmill89; 06-25-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                            Unless things change significantly between now and release (or after release if they don't get the adoption rate they want), it looks like Windows 11 is only going to be for new or relatively new hardware, based on the hardware requirements Microsoft released. It looks like it is going to require an 8th gen or newer intel "i" series (or their pentium/celeron varrients) or the AMD equivalent (Ryzen, Threadripper, etc.), a Direct X12 video card (easy upgrade for a desktop, but not so much for a laptop or SFF/all in one), and a TPM (trusted platform module) 2.0 or newer, which is going to rule out allot of existing hardware.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...1-requirements

Windows 11 supported Intel CPUs:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

Windows 11 supported AMD CPUs:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...amd-processors

It also looks like the "home" version will not work without a microsoft account (not sure if you'll still be able to "cheat" on this like Win 10 by installing without a network connection though).
                            I guess I'm out then... Heck, not even my work laptop is new enough (i7-6600U) . Or the gaming system I bought/built for my dad a few months ago (Ryzen 5 1600). Gotta loved planned obsolescence...
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              I guess I'm out then... Heck, not even my work laptop is new enough (i7-6600U) . Or the gaming system I bought/built for my dad a few months ago (Ryzen 5 1600). Gotta loved planned obsolescence...
                              Yep, of all the PCs I have, only my work laptop (a 1 year old HP Z-Book Studio G5) meets the requirements, though given that the company just moved to Windows 10 last year (and some are still on 7 with paid extended support, though they hope to have everyone upgraded by the end of the year, with a few non-compatible applications being the hold up), I will likely hit the lifecycle replacement (4 years) on that laptop before they upgrade to Windows 11.

My main personal desktop meets all the requirements except for the CPU (the i7-4790 is plenty powerful enough, but not on their "supported list", I would also need to add a TPM, which the motherboard has a header for, but if the CPU isn't supported it doesn't matter). My main personal Laptop (Dell Precision M4800), doesn't meet the requirements on CPU (i7-4910MQ, again plenty of power, but not on the "supported" list), GPU (the Nvidia Quadro K2100m only supports DX11), and TPM (it has a version 1.2 TPM and Windows 11 requires a version 2.0 minimum)
                              Last edited by dmill89; 06-25-2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Wow, I'm still using 5400-series Harpertown Xeons. I do have a couple westmere systems in my active fleet.....and a 4th gen i7 in the mix. None of them are even running Win10....so forget win11.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

the lists don't make sense. I have a laptop with the Athlon 3050u which is fairly slow and about equal cpu wise to my older 2011 i5 2520m Sandy Bridge laptop. So unless they only choose to support cpus based on features I think that list might be wrong.a current example was older AMD 64 chips not having SSE3 wouldn't run 64 bit windows 10, but older 64 bit pentium 4s being able too because having SSE3.
                                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post

W10 runs pretty fast on anything with an SSD. It's the main bottleneck. With NVMe becoming more prevalent, default bloatware makes less difference.

I remember when Vista came out with required specs that were fake, because hardware wasn't really ready to go from XP to such a redone OS

Hardware prices and capabilities caught up. Now windows 10 from a default install is lightning fast on an i3 10100 with 8gb of ram and a Samsung Evo plus (system I built recently)

I think 10 and 11 will likely stay about the same with resources and hardware will just get faster and cheaper that blazing fast computers don't really require much
                                    Yup. Every single personal/friend/family/client PC I work on where the complaint is "it's too slow" the first thing is a $30 SSD and it solves the problem.

Even with fast startup disabled (although, why would you disable it?) boot times are excellent.

I only have one HDD based system in my life and it's the PC I lent my bf. It's running on a 250GB 10,000RPM VelociRaptor. That's temporary until we buy a 1TB SSD but it still boots quick and is responsive. Anything else with a regular 7200rpm or especially 5400rpm HDD is just slow trash with Win10 no matter what the hardware specs are.

Comment

I don't see a single "must have" feature added in win 11. I'm fine on windows 10. I do sympathize though, at some point, they do need to stop supporting older hardware, and this is how they are going to do it. Windows 10 will be around for a long time though. Aside from my development / modelling programs, I don't have any issues with speed (after I turn off the windows bloat/indexing/cortana/spyware, but I repeat myself) on my pretty old laptop with SSD and 8G ram. And once I get my not recent proliant server in my rack, I'll offload the modelling / dev work to that, which should be faster than any laptop available, even now.

I did have a nice chuckle at the rounded corners though. I still turn off all the animations, etc, and run win 3.11 skin in all black. I just want all my programs to blip in and out of existence instantly if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                                        I do sympathize though, at some point, they do need to stop supporting older hardware, and this is how they are going to do it.
                                        I understand not supporting truly old hardware (I certainly don't expect them to still support the core2duo/quad era stuff, and could even understand not supporting the first couple generations of the core "i" series), but not supporting CPUs released as recently as 3 years ago (which you can still buy new), GPUs one generation of DirectX back, and requiring a TPM even for non-enterprise editions (and only supporting the latest version), is a little ridiculous. It is one thing for it not to run on a 10 year old PC or even a 5+ year old one, but allot of even 1-2 year old PCs (and even some current production "home" models that don't have a TPM or a slot/header in the motherboard to add one as until now TPMs often had little value outside of the enterprise/government environment) don't meet the requirements, and just about anything 3+ years old is a no go due to the limited CPU support even if the other hardware meets the requirements (or could be easily upgraded to do so).

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                                        I don't see a single "must have" feature added in win 11.
                                        X2, of course the only downside is that win 10 will go out of support eventually limiting options if you want to have a supported OS and have programs that require Windows. In my case since my main personal desktop(my desktop is actually still on Windows 7 though, it will likely only be upgraded to 10 once most 3rd. party software stops supporting 7) and laptop are around 4-5 years old, by the time Windows 10 goes out of support in 2025 it will likely be "time" to upgrade the hardware anyhow, but I'd sure be pissed if I bought/built a new computer in the last couple of years to find out that it isn't supported by the new version of windows (it is almost like Vista all over again in that regard, but worse since Vista just ran like crap on older or even lower-end current hardware, while11 just won't install all-together if the requirement aren't met according to MS).
                                        Last edited by dmill89; 06-25-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X