Better Panel for Dell Inspiron 15-5558 Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Panel for Dell Inspiron 15-5558 Laptop

Got this for free it's pretty much the perfect laptop, with a backlit keyboard, they already upgraded to 16GB RAM and a 500GB SSD, etc. but the screen sucks - it's a 1366x768 TN panel. I'm assuming the optional upgrade panel for this model - a 1920x1080 IPS panel - will be a direct swap, but researching that it's still a fairly mediocre panel according to Notebook Review: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-I....145836.0.html

What I'm wondering is how specific these have to be? I've established that both the current panel and Dell FHD panel use the "Embedded DisplayPort" standard/ But any suggestions for other panels that might be better that will work?

Re: Better Panel for Dell Inspiron 15-5888 Laptop

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
    What I'm wondering is how specific these have to be? I've established that both the current panel and Dell FHD panel use the "Embedded DisplayPort" standard/ But any suggestions for other panels that might be better that will work?
    If the panels are whitelisted in the bios your options are limited without some workarounds.The panels have a small bios chip for the EDID ,its has the settings for the screen resolution etc,and it has a dell part number.You could find a good quality FHD panel and modify the EDID contents with the dell ID from the official one,but you would have to desolder the EDID chip,solder wires to surrounding pads or use a pogo pin adapter to program it.

I'm assuming the optional upgrade panel for this model - a 1920x1080 IPS panel - will be a direct swap
    Yes,it would be a direct swap if it has the same number of eDP pins on the connector as your eDP cable, 30 or 40.

The Linux-hardware site has a list of 55 Inspiron 15-5558 laptops that have been scanned for the hardware specs.Choose any of the 55 ,then scroll down until you see EDID listed under Graphics,and click on that link https://linux-hardware.org/?view=com...=Inspiron+5558 .That will show you the ASCII string with the dell ID,and the manufacturer ID for example https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=350bf400d4&log=edid .I havn`t gone through all 55 so i don`t know how many of them will have the 1080P panels,and whether or not theyre the same panel,or made by different companies.

This picture is the hex code copied into a hex editor,the dell ID is 2M4XM€156WF6 / 2M4XM https://www.google.com/search?q=Dell+2M4XM

Attached Files
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-09-2022, 04:27 PM.
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Re: Better Panel for Dell Inspiron 15-5558 Laptop

Very interesting, thank you for that information.

I acquired the LP156WF6 panel but ran into the problem that the 1366x768 model of this laptop ships with the 1-lane eDP cable and not the 2-lane eDP cable required for the full HD panel so upon replacing the panel I got no display output.

I could not find the part number online for the 2-lane eDP cable for the Inspiron 15 5888 and without access to another Inspiron 15-5888 to look at the part number sticker I resorted to contacting Dell technical support to see if they can and/or will give me the part number and/or sell me the part.

I hadn't even considered the whole EDID thing. Hope I am able to source the cable and then I hope the panel I got will work. It is supposedly a genuine Dell panel, although I do understand your point that even if it's a legit panel used in a different model Dell that doesn't mean the EDID is on this motherboard.

I'll update once Dell replies and I am hopefully able to get this all to work. Otherwise I'll just have to sell the laptop and FHD screen lol.
      Last edited by shovenose; 06-10-2022, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Is the screen with touch or non touch

Dell OEM Inspiron 15 (5558 / 5559 / 5555) 15.6" Ribbon LCD Video Cable For FHD OTP Touchscreen - 40 Pin - WNXWK

Dell OEM Inspiron 15 (5555 / 5559/ 5558) 15.6" Ribbon FHD LCD Video Cable - Non-Touch - KNG43

Regards Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
          Is the screen with touch or non touch

Dell OEM Inspiron 15 (5558 / 5559 / 5555) 15.6" Ribbon LCD Video Cable For FHD OTP Touchscreen - 40 Pin - WNXWK

Dell OEM Inspiron 15 (5555 / 5559/ 5558) 15.6" Ribbon FHD LCD Video Cable - Non-Touch - KNG43

Regards Steve
          It's funny, Dell has replied that the cable is part number MC2TT, which is what I already have, so they seem to have no clue what I'm talking about... so, you are amazing. Thank you. I will order the KNG43 (Non-Touch), and see what happens. *Sends virtual cake*

Comment

No problem i hope it is the right one.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Hey, so unfortunately this project didn't work out, there seems to either be a defect in the new cable or display. I'm rather irritated. So, now what, before I get pissed off, throw it across the room, and give up.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey, so unfortunately this project didn't work out, there seems to either be a defect in the new cable or display. I'm rather irritated. So, now what, before I get pissed off, throw it across the room, and give up.
                where did you get the panel from,can you get a refund or replacement. Whats the exact model number,such as LP156WF6(SP)(M3) ,and did the seller list it with a dell part number,such as 04XK13
                Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-19-2022, 10:39 AM.
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                  where did you get the panel from,can you get a refund or replacement. Whats the exact model number,such as LP156WF6(SP)(M3) ,and did the seller list it with a dell part number,such as 04XK13
                  Alright, so the seller of the cable kindly sent me another, so I took the entire thing apart again, replaced the cable again, the new screen still has the same problem so I simply reinstalled the original one and am giving up on this project.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273956897036

That was the panel I was attempting to install. The seller of the panel has agreed to give me a refund after I showed them the pictures, so I'm sending that back.

I've already purchased a completely different laptop, a Precision M6600 I got dirt cheap, once it arrives I will swap over my 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD, and sell this one, because I just can't stand 1366x768 but I don't want to put any more time and effort into this machine.

I do appreciate everyone's help on this topic, and hope someone finds the information here useful in the future!

Comment

Working...
                  X