Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC Build Specification Advise

Hi All,

I am a regular on the BC forum and wonder if I can get some unbiased advise on putting together a new PC.

I have built several in the past and usually go to a supplier (www.novatech.co.uk/) and buy a motherboard bundle comprising of MB, CPU, RAM and fan that has been assembled and tested. I then put in a case, add a HD and load a Windows OS.

We have several PC's around the house but the one that needs replacing is about 10 years old.

The spec of the PC is: Foxconn G41MXE motherboard, Pentium E5800 @3.2 GHz and 4Gb RAM. It has a 250Gb Sandisk SDSSDA240G.

The new PC is just for normal household jobs and not for gaming and I want to run 2 screens directly from the MB without additional graphics cards.

I'm looking to spend about £250-300 for the 'bundle'. Can anyone please suggest what I should be looking at?
    Many thanks in advance.

Re: New PC Build Specification Advise

I recently bought and AMD motherboard, CPU and memory bundle from Scan for my mum and stepdad. Just shy of £300 with a PCI-E M.2 with a case and power supply.

I use Scan and not Novatech due to a couple of customers having shocking customer experience in the past, Scan also offers very cheap insurance (around £10). against assembly mishaps. Look at their deal of the day page, they change every day and they do great bundle deals.

Comment

Which windows OS are you going to put on it, do you plan using an old retail disk and upgrading to win 10/11 or are you going to buy a new one, just wondering as win 11 is released soon.
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay (work got in the way..) I was planning to put on W10 but guess I should be making provisions for W11.

I need to take a look at the middle of the road spec for 11.

Thanks for the Scan recomendation.

Comment

Win 11 is a free upgrade from win 10 ,depending on the hardware spec, it has to support TPM 2.0 .Win 10 will still be supported for another 4 or 5 years.
          Have a look at ebuyer, had a lot of gear from them over the years, and cclonline .
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

How does this sound for a spec:

Intel i5-9600K processor & motherboard (no particular preference on manuf. of MB)
            16Gb RAM
            250Gb SSD
            Optical drive

Comments welcome please.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevillet View Post
              Hi All,

I am a regular on the BC forum and wonder if I can get some unbiased advise on putting together a new PC.

I have built several in the past and usually go to a supplier (www.novatech.co.uk/) and buy a motherboard bundle comprising of MB, CPU, RAM and fan that has been assembled and tested. I then put in a case, add a HD and load a Windows OS.

We have several PC's around the house but the one that needs replacing is about 10 years old.

The spec of the PC is: Foxconn G41MXE motherboard, Pentium E5800 @3.2 GHz and 4Gb RAM. It has a 250Gb Sandisk SDSSDA240G.

The new PC is just for normal household jobs and not for gaming and I want to run 2 screens directly from the MB without additional graphics cards.

I'm looking to spend about £250-300 for the 'bundle'. Can anyone please suggest what I should be looking at?
              Many thanks in advance.
              If that's all you're using it for, you can just honestly just get a core 2 quad off ebay and put a second 4gb of stick of ddr3 in there and this

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...102gd3hlp.html

for dual monitor (DVI and HDMI)
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The reason for the spec is born out of an 'A list' listing of a PC in a UK magazine that uses these components. www.palicomp.co.uk/intel-mercury-review-cof9

It might seen a bit OTT but need to cover my butt from a longevity POV.

I know I said no to gaming but I might (might) take a look at the latest and greatest MS flight sim..

Comment

How does this sound for a spec:

Intel i5-9600K processor & motherboard (no particular preference on manuf. of MB)
                  16Gb RAM
                  250Gb SSD
                  Optical drive

Comments welcome please.
                  They have a 1TB M.2 drive as their base spec, any reason for the small SSD?

Comment

I don't need a HD larger than that as all data is on NAS so i't just to keep the OS happy.

Comment

Get an M.2 NVMe drive rather than SATA.

Comment

What's the advantage of a M.2 NVMe drive vs a regular SSD?

Comment

What's the advantage of a M.2 NVMe drive vs a regular SSD?
                          Speed. SATA is slow compared to PCI-E.

Comment

It's about speed for me so thanks for that.

So I need a M.2 NVMe that plugs directly into the MB?

I read the the UK magazine (PC Pro) that HD size should be >512Gb.

It also states W11 reguires:

UEFI/Secure Boot
                            TPM2
                            DirectX 12
                            Last edited by Nevillet; 09-18-2021, 08:20 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Yes, the M.2 socket is on the motherboard. 512GB tend to be faster than 256GB and the price difference is negligible.

Comment

Working...
                              X