power supply specially in trouble shooting audio equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power supply specially in trouble shooting audio equipment

i have a question on power supply specially in trouble shooting audio equipment/ can i use boost converter of just a linear power supply. boost converter psu has higher efficiency, current and much colder than linear psu,, what are the disadvantage of using boost converter in audio equipment. thanks in advance
    Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Re: Anyone build their own equipment? Plans for small benchtop power supply.

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
    can i use boost converter of just a linear power supply... what are the disadvantage of using boost converter in audio equipment. thanks in advance
    Boost converter??
    Are you boosting a lower voltage to a higher one? (Such as car subwoofer audio amps do.)
    Or are you talking about a buck converter / buck regulator / switching regulator for lowering voltage?

I suppose that question is irrelevant, but I am just curious since you specifically mentioned boost converter and not the more generic term (switching regulator / SMPS.)

As for disadvantage of using switching regulators in audio... that depends a lot on your application and what device you're trying to power. If your audio device has anything to do with AM radio, you would probably want to avoid any kind of switching PSUs and regulators, as these tend to kill AM reception (though if carefully and well designed, it may not affect AM radio reception that much.) I ran into that problem with an old late 90's boombox that I converted to use an external SMPS adapter, detailed here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=997901

Other than that, and as long as the audio amp isn't overly-sensitive to noise and the switching regulator is designed to have enough filtering on its output, then you may not see that much of a difference between that and a linear regulator.

But again, going by description of what you're trying to do is rather vague, so it's hard to give a more solid answer.

Comment

Re: power supply specially in trouble shooting audio equipment

Posts moved to a new thread..
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
      X