This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Some dud laptops. Unsurprisingly, both ASUS, both AMDs.

ASUS A75DE - A8-4500M APU/ 7670M - powers on for a split second or so and then goes D E A D
    ASUS X73B - E350 APU / 6470M - no power.

Neither have HDD, or RAM, X73B is missing the battery and A75DE also has a cracked screen.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Welp, the results are pretty disappointing:

- A75DE - still haven't figured where the short comes from. Even disabled the 7670M completely but short still present.

- X73B - dead ENE KBC chip - will completely replace the mobo and display.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

More scores today:

- SIL0680 ATA133 PCI controller - hopefully will work with a VIA MVP3 mobo I have.
        - Athlon XP 2400+
        - a pretty sadly looking ASRock K7VTA2, harvested its BIOS chip and probably back in the trash it goes
        - a quite beefy Cooler Master S370/462 cooler.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

What, you're not gonna take an old MOT and feed various rails 2.4kV and watch it go BANG??
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

......no? I was going to harvest the caps (UCC KZE and Ruby MBZ) but finally decided against it and just chuckled it in the nearest bin I could find on my way home, not before harvesting the SST BIOS chip for older 486/Skt7/P2/P3/early Athlon mobos.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

My wife has been at it again; Salvation Army store scores. Some new in box beige bay coolers.

These inclose bay coolers are stellar, I have some in builds around here that I bought new in the 90's....and here's 2x new-old-stock ones....I remember them well! These are all metal construction & bulletproof!!

These AOC ones were pretty common; at least the fan portions. I've never seen this model with the big heavy aluminum heatsink bodies!!

I think I better keep her around!! She pulled them from a bin marked 50% off....so there's $15 in all 4 pieces.
              Attached Files
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

sweet deal those are perfect for filling 5.25 bays where the beige bezels bust or are missing from old age.
                My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Just got around testing the ASUS GTX670 I posted about earlier, and to which Uranium-235 and momaka suggested to run a 3D test on it and load test as well.

Ran Furmark with ONLY ONE fan strapped on the heatsink with two long af screws. Maxed out at 65*C (I replaced the thermal paste with MX5 beforehand though, the original one was literally stone dry) yet no artefacting whatsoever. Guess it's a win! Now to start searching for a better heatsink and it should be replacing my aging Gigabyte GTX650 1GB just fine.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yesterday I cleaned out a back room of a guy that does security systems and other weird stuff....

Bunch of DVR's full of hard drives, a label/badge printer, 17" beige CRT (rescued from a dumpster), bunch of monitors & TV's. Metal enclosures, and a couple of interesting laptops....

Laptop one is an AsusPro P53E; I3 2nd gen, 8gb RAM 500gb spinner. I stuck a SSD in it and tossed win10 on it. Someone will give me a couple hundred for it. The barrel plug for the charger was cracked from the board. Repaired that, fired right off. Battery is good.

Then there's this! Old Compaq Armada 1530DM, Pentium classic 133 w/ 32mb RAM. 1.4GB HDD. Had a 'power-on' password on it, wouldn't boot without knowing or clearing it....had a hell of a time clearing that off...but I got it....just to find the OS hosed. Probably win95, I couldn't tell.

When is the last time anyone got to do this?!

Win98SE installing. I probably should have done NT4....but ohh well.

Now here's a first for my PC career. Ths is the first laptop I've ever seen where the charger/power supply was internal, not a brick. Just plug in mains voltage, and shazam!

Finished installing.....

The glorious Cirrus logic GPU in 800x600 @ 256 colors... ...but hey, the battery is good!!

In the bottom of the bag, I found an iphne with a smashed screen.......

That's it for today
                    Attached Files
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

^I used to have the PII version of that Compaq armada. Good laptop indeed... also used no brick. Dicked the screen like always... killed it and another nice PII/PIII laptop (Micron) that way. Shame. Ran XP like a dream... then again the Dixon core PII was the best PII ever made (due to on board cache like a Mendocino or Coppermine).

---

Not sure if it's a score, but an ex-coworker gave me a Vizio E60-E3 60" 4K TV for free. Backlights are toast (blue hue of doom, cracked LED filters), so may or may not be worth fixing. My 1st 4K ever though...
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

probably a iphone 4 or 4s, also looks like you have a name badge maker in the truck bed, we threw one like that away this year.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                          probably a iphone 4 or 4s, also looks like you have a name badge maker in the truck bed, we threw one like that away this year.
                          nobody needs name badges anymore, when only criminals dont cover their faces!!!
                          this world is so fucked at this point!

some guy even got shot last week in india for going into a bank without a mask!!
                          how fucking backwards does that sound!!!!

Comment

She was at it again! 6x new-in-sealed-box Vantec 'Vortex' HDD coolers. Very well made. Bless her heart, she thought the "light colored" ones were beige, but in reality they were silver....I confess, it was hard to tell from the pic on the box......but 4x silver and 2x black. $15 on the sticker, and were on a 50% off table.

Yup, silver.

Since open in back, can obviously take a 3.5" of any interface.

Little 'squirrel cage' fan in there moves some decent air.

Not bad!
                            Attached Files
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              Not sure if it's a score, but an ex-coworker gave me a Vizio E60-E3 60" 4K TV for free. Backlights are toast (blue hue of doom, cracked LED filters), so may or may not be worth fixing. My 1st 4K ever though...
                              LED tester came in, yup, backlights toast. At least it's a cheap (enough) repair, although a bit tedious. Will go to my parents if it works out (better fit for their usage than mine).
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post

I wonder if it's "fake 4K". How to tell? This concept only exists on LCDs, not OLEDs! LCDs with LED backlighting, has the "RGBW" pixel structure. "RGBW" is a red flag for LCD TVs! (regardless of backlight type)

While OTOH, normal for OLEDs.

Also, how to tell, is if it looks brighter on an LCD in "4K" mode than at 1080p.

"fake 4K" / "pseudo 4K" TVs, can only do 2K at max, most likely. Every certain pixel is skipped, making the fonts look wonky!
                                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-21-2021, 07:37 PM.
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                  I wonder if it's "fake 4K". How to tell? This concept only exists on LCDs, not OLEDs! LCDs with LED backlighting, has the "RGBW" pixel structure. "RGBW" is a red flag for LCD TVs! (regardless of backlight type)

While OTOH, normal for OLEDs.

Also, how to tell, is if it looks brighter on an LCD in "4K" mode than at 1080p.

"fake 4K" / "pseudo 4K" TVs, can only do 2K at max, most likely. Every certain pixel is skipped, making the fonts look wonky!
                                  It's listed as a 2160... which would be a real 4K indeed. Nothing I've read has indicated otherwise.

Also apparently has a chromecast built into it (how they implemented it as a smart TV)... neat. One less thing I need to buy...
                                  sigpic

Comment

how does 4000 fit into 2160???

btw, japan now has 8k
                                    probably to compensate for something else being smaller

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      how does 4000 fit into 2160???

btw, japan now has 8k
                                      probably to compensate for something else being smaller
                                      3840 x 2160...

Just like 1080 is 1920x1080... only with 4K marketing gurus figured out that "let's use the bigger number, not the smaller number since bigger is better!". 4K is literally 4 times the pixels as 1080 (double both dimensions).
                                      sigpic

Comment

so a fraud

Comment

Today's freebie was a Macbook 13" (model MC516LL/A). It's a C2D @ 2.4GHz, 2gb RAM and a bad 250gb hitachi HDD.

I tossed 8gb (2x 4gb DDR3 modules) and a SSD in it. Even though it came with the original install disks, I don't really care for OSX....so what better than Mint! I've read any UEFI boot version of Windows (Win8 and newer) can also be installed on this....but I didn't try.

Box & goodies....

...and up & running!!

This post of course created from it....not sure what I'll do with this...it's not worth much....but it was fun to tinker with for a couple hours!
                                          Attached Files
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X