X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post your system.......

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    I wouldn't. Velociraptors weren't known for longevity, I've seen a lot of bad ones; far more than SSD's. The earlier 3.5" raptors were the workhorses, but were slower.
    Was the problem the same thing as their 7Ks? Was it often a case of board/PCB oxidation/corrosion?

I was hoping that they were at least more reliable than their Blues! Now, those are known for connector oxidation and corrosion, IIRC!

Looks like I have a lot of oxidation on my 2016-built Western Digital Black 7K 500 GB HDD!
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-22-2021, 11:09 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
      Well, mines not clean at all, but I don't know why you don't use just Nvme SSD's unless there is a specific reason. They're 250gb WD VR's. So if it's raid 5 it's a total of 750GB, raid 0 1tb. You can get a good quality 1TB SSD for $150 or so
      Yeah but four of them in RAID0 performs nice. Plus they sound cool when they're busy

I am using an nvme SSD as the boot drive. The Raptors just hold my games and Adobe creative cloud software.

As for reliability honestly I love them. I have five of these drives. Ones in my bfs PC and these four. All have 30-60k hours on them.

Comment

I still have 2x 74GB Raptors, love 'em and the way they sound.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

I stopped for my machine mechanical hard drive between noise and consumption.

of course to improve performance

Now I use DELL Quad NVME and make storage pools with windows and primocache for accelerated .

I store my programs and games there and windows in a another Nvme

It is more than enough for me and I am quite happy with this config

Hard to come back to HDD after
          Attached Files

Comment

"modern" sub 400GB SSDs piss me off... old ones are better!

oh crap...wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
              "modern" sub 400GB SSDs piss me off... old ones are better!

oh crap...wrong thread.
              Why are old ones better ?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                Why are old ones better ?
                too many cell writing now
                Attached Files

Comment

Just wait till the PC industry adopts soldered SSDs like the new macs then everyone will be screwed.
                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Maxpower3 View Post
                    I stopped for my machine mechanical hard drive between noise and consumption.

of course to improve performance

Now I use DELL Quad NVME and make storage pools with windows and primocache for accelerated .

I store my programs and games there and windows in a another Nvme

It is more than enough for me and I am quite happy with this config

Hard to come back to HDD after
                    Haha I absolutely hate mechanical hard drives for boot drives but for my games and apps it's good enough. Even Photoshop opens up plenty fast on the 4x VelociRaptor RAID0. No point wasting space on my NVMe boot SSD that's only 256GB. Lame but I got it for free. I could buy a bigger one but I don't need it so why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                      Just wait till the PC industry adopts soldered SSDs like the new macs then everyone will be screwed.
                      I don't think that will happen. Even my super thin LG Gram has two replaceable 2280 slots

Most PC manufacturers want to separate them from apple
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Nope, it's only Apple users getting screwed with soldered SSDs. They are a hardware company that remove the ability for their users to upgrade to gouge even more money and differentiate models.

There might be a few non Apple devices with soldered SSDs but any manufacturer of motherboards or assembler of PCs or laptops would be seriously hampering their sales if they did this, I also seriously doubt it will happen.

Comment

very tidy build shovenose!
                          Thank you!

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                          I like the ice trays the raptors come in more than the raptors themselves. The trays support SAS, so 15k 2.5 inchers fit nice in them, as well as SSD's for 3.5" scenarios.

BTW Shovenose, I've got a box packed up for you...
                          Yay I'm very excited!!

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                          Was the problem the same thing as their 7Ks? Was it often a case of board/PCB oxidation/corrosion?

I was hoping that they were at least more reliable than their Blues! Now, those are known for connector oxidation and corrosion, IIRC!

Looks like I have a lot of oxidation on my 2016-built Western Digital Black 7K 500 GB HDD!
                          Hmmm... oxidation on the boards? First I'm hearing of this. What on earth causes that. Faulty manufacturing?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Thank you!

Yay I'm very excited!!

Hmmm... oxidation on the boards? First I'm hearing of this. What on earth causes that. Faulty manufacturing?
                            Looks like it.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                              Looks like it.
                              I googled and binged and found very few reports of this WD oxidation...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                I googled and binged and found very few reports of this WD oxidation...
                                I've fix a bunch of them. It was definitely a bigger issue than being reported. Perhaps many got trashed without being diagnosed. This issue however, did not affect the velociraptor. Every bad velociraptor I dealt with always had mass bad sector issues.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

I can almost say the same for 2.5" laptop WD Blacks.

Ironically the only good one I have (99% health, currently 1 weak sector) is in a HP G62-a35SO, of all things.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    Nope, it's only Apple users getting screwed with soldered SSDs. They are a hardware company that remove the ability for their users to upgrade to gouge even more money and differentiate models.

There might be a few non Apple devices with soldered SSDs but any manufacturer of motherboards or assembler of PCs or laptops would be seriously hampering their sales if they did this, I also seriously doubt it will happen.
                                    Microsoft Surface: Let me introduce myself.

Soldered SSDs are probably a ting with tablets and mobile phones.

We're not going to see it on desktops probably but on laptops maybe.
                                    Last edited by grss1982; 07-30-2021, 02:30 AM.
                                    CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                    GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Technically... ASUS does use soldered in RAM at this point, so it wouldn't seem too far off to include a form of soldered SSD (or eMMC.).
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by grss1982 View Post
                                        Microsoft Surface: Let me introduce myself.

Soldered SSDs are probably a ting with tablets and mobile phones.

We're not going to see it on desktops probably but on laptops maybe.

If I ever see soldered eMMC/NVMe/RAM on a desktop computer, that crap is going right back in the box and back to where it came from.
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

My system is a
                                          i7 4771
                                          16GB DDR3
                                          msi gtx 960 100 million edition
                                          8TB WD red, 4TB WD black, 2TB WD black, 1TB WD blue ssd.
                                          PSU thermaltake 750watt? 80+ bronze.
                                          Creative sound blaster zx i think.
                                          1440p samsung monitor.
                                          My Computer.
                                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment