Thread: "Smart" TVs
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
Curious.George
Badcaps Veteran

Default Re: "Smart" TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapLeaker View Post
The updates are mostly for the apps that run on that, like youtube for example. When youtube doesn't want to work correctly, then there will be shortly after a new firmware for the tv to fix the issue.
OK. I would deem that a "responsible" manufacturer addressing issues that their customers would likely want/need addressed.

In our case, the "TV" will never talk to the outside world. So, we're more interested in how up-to-date its CODECs are and how unencumbered the network interface to the set would be (i.e., I shouldn't need to connect to "something" at Sony/Sharp/Visio/.com just to access my own media tank). Nor should I need any outside resources to command the set (e.g., voice/gesture recognition done at some remote server).

OTOH, if the CODECs aren't kept up to date (even if I have to manually download updates and install via USB), then I'd have to transcode all the content destined for the set. If that's the case, then why not just put a "computer" at the set and "fix" the shortcomings of the set's firmware?!

Quote:
As for the second, it's both. I've also had my run in's with the little android boxes (do a search for Dreamlink T1 plus). I've had other android boxes too, but I never liked them.
Performance issues? Usability? Reliability??

Quote:
Got this Intel NUC running Linux and couldn't be any happier. It's not cheap, but worth every cent compared to that android, tizen, etc. jazz.
Ideally, I'd just like something that offers a "friendly" (think: old folks) user interface to a catalog of stored content (DVR and movie library) plus OTA access (via HDHomeRuns, for example). It would need to interface to the (remote) DVR as well as "guide" services. While it would be "nice" to be able to access IMDB or other descriptive content sources, we could live without that (set up our own off-line database if necessary).

I will have to see what sorts of tiny boxes I can find. An advantage to something "open" is that I can turn it into a real computer, when needed. Then, switch it back into a media terminal when the need arises.

[I'm looking to discard this machine -- too many frigging screens around here -- and fold it's features into a "TV" located in the eating area. So, when not watching TV/movies, can use it as a "PC" to check mail, etc. I.e., the sorts of things a SmartTV should be able to do!]
Curious.George is offline   Reply With Quote