• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
    I thought the day would never come but here it is: KB3139929
    Nonsecurity-related fixes that are included in this security update:
    KB3146449 Updated Internet Explorer 11 capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Apparently if your computer is not part of a domain and you open a new tab in IE with this update installed there may be an advertisement for upgrading to Windows 10.
    Sigh.
    Makes one reconsider running unpatched. this is getting ridiculous.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      Makes one reconsider running unpatched.
      Already been doing it for the last... I don't even remember how many years now. But certainly at least 5.

Comment

I only read the first page of this post here so someone might have already suggested this. I just wanted to point out a free program that a friend of mine tried and highly suggests it for people who do not want Windows 10. I personally haven't used it but I found it for him.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/download...PanelSetup.exe (setup program)
        http://ultimateoutsider.com/download...trol_panel.exe (standalone version)
        http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html (Info on the program)

It removes the Get Windows 10 icon from the system tray, deletes 10 if it's already been downloaded (but not installed), etc. There's also an option to undo the changes if you decide you might later want it.

I just wanted to let you guys know about this program incase you wanted a simple one-click method. As of right now, it does not block or remove any of the "telemetry" features, although it might become an option later on. It works on 7 and 8.
        Last edited by Spork Schivago; 04-01-2016, 03:24 PM.
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Updated the OP with: KB3161647 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: June 2016

This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the following:
          An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers.
          Fix for a Windows Update error 0x8007000E on some computers while they are updating.
          Some reliability improvements.
          It's included in the June 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB3161608) linked within that article.
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I just upgraded my Desktop PC OS from Win 7 to Windows 10 and its working very smoothly.

Comment

per hansson ive just been asked to put a copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit on a desktop for a neighbour all they want on it is windows 7 and sp1 can you advise what the best way too block windows 10 update/upgrade (never 10?) also whats the patch too get the windows 7 updates downloaded fast? many thanks for any advice you can offer.
              Im using a iso of windows 7 pro downloaded from digital river so will have to download sp1 too.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                per hansson ive just been asked to put a copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit on a desktop for a neighbour all they want on it is windows 7 and sp1 can you advise what the best way too block windows 10 update/upgrade (never 10?) also whats the patch too get the windows 7 updates downloaded fast? many thanks for any advice you can offer.
                Im using a iso of windows 7 pro downloaded from digital river so will have to download sp1 too.
                IIRC you don't need to any more as the 1 year free upgrade period expired and apparently the upgrade nagware expired too.

Digital river also had Sp1 images of 7... Are you sure you don't have that version?
                Last edited by ratdude747; 08-16-2016, 07:53 AM.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  IIRC you don't need to any more as the 1 year free upgrade period expired and apparently the upgrade nagware expired too.

Digital river also had Sp1 images of 7... Are you sure you don't have that version?
                  cheers for that not sure what my disk iso is the pc is failing to load all files after 56% so just looking for another iso too download hopefully can find one with sp1

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                    cheers for that not sure what my disk iso is the pc is failing to load all files after 56% so just looking for another iso too download hopefully can find one with sp1

PMd you.

Comment

Not sure how but my optional updates started showing as important on 7 pro. A few of the updates were on the list tied to 10.
                      Last edited by junktv; 09-02-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        Makes one reconsider running unpatched. this is getting ridiculous.
                        According to my setupact.log file in C:\Windows\Panther :

2013-04-21 19:57:26, Info [0x0601ce] IBS Setup has started phase 2 at 2013-04-21 19:57:26

And I've never turned on Windows Update since then. Seems to be working fine for me.

BTW for those wanting a legit Windows 7 ISO you may want to get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7

The catch though is you need a valid Windows 7 product key. Retail. NOT OEM.
                        Last edited by grss1982; 09-08-2016, 10:46 PM.
                        CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                        GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Wohoo, my Win7 company laptop saw this update yesterday:
                          Code:
                          [URL=https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3184143]KB3184143: Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer[/URL]
                          About this update
                          This update removes the Get Windows 10 app and other software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer that expired on July 29, 2016.
                          The update actually removes more stuff than what is listed in my OP.
                          It seems those updates were for OEM's to integrate on customers laptops.
                          It even removes the shady IE update component KB3146449 which I mentioned here that was part of security update KB3139929
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-22-2016, 10:58 AM.
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                            I only read the first page of this post here so someone might have already suggested this. I just wanted to point out a free program that a friend of mine tried and highly suggests it for people who do not want Windows 10. I personally haven't used it but I found it for him.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/download...PanelSetup.exe (setup program)
                            http://ultimateoutsider.com/download...trol_panel.exe (standalone version)
                            http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html (Info on the program)

It removes the Get Windows 10 icon from the system tray, deletes 10 if it's already been downloaded (but not installed), etc. There's also an option to undo the changes if you decide you might later want it.

I just wanted to let you guys know about this program incase you wanted a simple one-click method. As of right now, it does not block or remove any of the "telemetry" features, although it might become an option later on. It works on 7 and 8.
                            Thanks Spork I just saw this and will let you know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                              Wohoo, my Win7 company laptop saw this update yesterday:
                              Code:
                              [URL=https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3184143]KB3184143: Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer[/URL]

The update actually removes more stuff than what is listed in my OP.
                              It seems those updates were for OEM's to integrate on customers laptops.
                              It even removes the shady IE update component KB3146449 which I mentioned here that was part of security update KB3139929
                              Lol, gotta love Microsoft for that: first they make a ton of "updates" to force Windows 10 onto people, now they make an "update" to remove those "updates".
                              ... more pointless than a dog chasing its own tail.

I'm glad I skipped all of that by disabling updates on the (very few) Windows 7 PCs I maintain.
                              Last edited by momaka; 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

ah, but did it *only* remove stuff???
                                a byte changed here, a byte changed there,
                                and before you know it, something slows down or randomly breaks.

and the solution offered - get win10!

Comment

^ exactly stj!

Comment

windows 7 update is so f'n slow it'll probably never update anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                                      Thanks Spork I just saw this and will let you know how it works.
                                      So this did not stop the windows 10 from trying to install.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Lol, gotta love Microsoft for that: first they make a ton of "updates" to force Windows 10 onto people, now they make an "update" to remove those "updates".
                                        ... more pointless than a dog chasing its own tail.

I'm glad I skipped all of that by disabling updates on the (very few) Windows 7 PCs I maintain.
                                        I could not install this.

Comment

Finally got windows to update with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I went to this site

https://www.microsoft.com/security/p...?wa=wsignin1.0

Then went down to System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection and chose the appropriate operating system

Comment

Working...
                                          X