View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
xenphor

City & State: AZ
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: New Asrock 775i65g 3.0 with Chemi-con KZG caps - replace now or wait?

I'm not sure how to determine the exact manufacturing date of the board, but using HWinfo shows that the bios version is from 7/4/2012, and the publication date of the manual is also 2012.

Unfortunately I do not have any boards that I would be willing to experiment with (I have an Asus A8V-X but that also works fine; I haven't checked the brands of the caps though), and judging by what you said about RoHS boards, even if I did learn, I would still probably want to have a professional do it, assuming the board is still working properly. Then again, the boards were only 50 bucks, so I'm guessing I would have to pay more than the board is worth to get it done well.

Pentium 4 era hardware is cheap now, but given how retro hardware prices go and considering that era is now desirable for retro purposes (along with the supply diminishing due to things like bad caps), by the time the board fails I may have to pay more than I would if I had done some preventative maintenance. The Asrock board is also somewhat unique in that it will accept core 2 quads and has an AGP slot.

Last edited by xenphor; 10-18-2019 at 12:13 PM..
xenphor is offline   Reply With Quote