Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teufel Concept E Magnum PE - Subwoofer loud buzzing

Hello Badcaps-Forum,

I got a Subwoofer (just the Sub) and found out that after powering it (without speakers connected) the Subwoofer is very loud and buzzes or puts out loud continuous bass sound. If I disconnect the sub from the inside (the two cables on the membrane) and connect only the speakers, everything is fine and music plays normally.

What can be the issue here? This is the PCB of the subwoofer amplifier since the fault has to be there: https://imgur.com/a/YgbZZ6O

One of those big caps feels more bloated than the other. Should those be completely flat, cause I can feel that they are slightly bloated at the top.

Re: Teufel Concept E Magnum PE - Subwoofer loud buzzing

no pic in link

Comment

The link contains a picture now. Sorry for that. I also scraped of some of that weird "glue" (?) and uncovered some resistors under it. These were still good.

https://imgur.com/a/x7SfT5i
      Last edited by Capacitorial; 12-25-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capacitorial View Post

One of those big caps feels more bloated than the other. Should those be completely flat, cause I can feel that they are slightly bloated at the top.
        Sounds like loud utility AC-frequency buzzing to me! I think it's safe to say bad caps!
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 12-25-2019, 01:33 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Alright. I will try to find those 6800uF 63V capacitors, replace them and come back to bring some good news (hopefully).

Comment

Get rid of all the glue, it becomes conductive.
            And check the legs of wires and resistors covered by glue: they might be corroded and damaged.
            For example that big power resistor: one leg looks green on it!
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by per hansson View Post
              get rid of all the glue, it becomes conductive.
              And check the legs of wires and resistors covered by glue: They might be corroded and damaged.
              For example that big power resistor: One leg looks green on it!
              +1
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

So guys, I am back with news. I changed the Capacitors and nothing changed. But I found out that the transistor A1941 (top right big transistor) is overheating. Changed that one too without positive result.
                If I disconnect the subwoofer cables (red and black sitting on the speaker) it doesn't overheat.

Resistance of the subwoofer speaker was at 3.6Ohm. The cables that connect onto the subwoofer have 38.6V or something. What can be the reason.
                Also if I connect everything and measure the voltage on the sub (with the cables on it) it doesnt have the 40V.
                Last edited by Capacitorial; 01-28-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Update: I changed all other capacitors too, without a positive result. Now I really don't know what to look after. Is the speaker itself faulty? What else can I check? Can the other board be a problem?

Comment

if you removed the glue it leaves transistors .
                    how many volts does it run on the rails .

Comment

The connector with three cables (yellow, black, yellow) that connects to the pcb has 31V between yellow and black and 63V between yellow and yellow.

I don't understand what the first sentence means.

Comment

make sure the glue is removed as it can become conductive .

Comment

I did without a positive result. Now it looks like this:
                          https://imgur.com/a/qMt4e6Z

Now I literally don't know what else I can do. The other PCB is not for the Subwoofer, but for the satellites/speakers, so I guess it is ok since they work properly.

Another experiment I did was to connect the cables of a sat to the subwoofer "replacing the sat with the sub-speaker" and there was music coming from it quietly. So I guess the sub speaker itself is ok (with 3.7Ohm).

Comment

you could test all the transistors

Comment

Try flexing that board with the butt end of a pencil or similar while it's buzzing to see if you have a dodgy joint.

Comment

Update:

- I measured all resistors on the PCB and they are all good and have the right value.
                                - I tested the transistors and they are all good.

So basically I tested every single component on that board and replaced all capacitors.
                                Last edited by Capacitorial; 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

can you record the sound and post it ?

Comment

The sound is now different like in the attached audio file. You got to turn up the sound a bit. My mic couldn't catch it like it is in real life. It is a bit louder than that.
                                    At first there was loud buzzing. Then after I cleaned the glue, there was no buzzing but also no other sound. Now after all the replacements (Transistor A1941, and all caps) with further cleaning, there is a quiet whining going on. There is no audio source connected. Just the Sub by itself.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Capacitorial; 02-09-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

check over your work . maybe a short or broken wire etc .

Comment

Ok I will check again.

I did test the speaker again by directly connecting a 9V battery to it. The speaker moved and made knocking/cracking sounds. So 3.7 Ohms and this test should be enough info to be sure that the speaker must be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                        X