Dell Inspiron 3481 (EDI72 LA-G714P) Powers with charger blinking code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 3481 (EDI72 LA-G714P) Powers with charger blinking code

Hi, I've been given this laptop which upon plugging the charger it produces a blinking code, and it goes as follows:

"3 AMBER, 5 WHITE"

Pressing the Power Button, the machine seems to power up, as the fan spins (at a normal rate), but after a few seconds the power cuts off, and the cycle repeats.

Searching on Google for the blinking code for this device doesn't return any valuable information. The code is not listed on the service manual. However, I found out that for others or similar models "3 AMBER, 5 WHITE" blinking code means ''POWER RAIL FAILURE". I am going to use a schematic I found to test some power rails, as casual probing for a short didn't show any major problem with the board.

I also read that the problem may be correlated with an EC power controller issue, so I went ahead and did a few dumps on the W25Q128JV ic, but every dump was different from the previous one once compared using HxD. I cannot tell why this is, I tried different USB ports/laptops always with the same result.

In the meantime, I found a second ic on the motherboard where I'm sure the EC information is stored. Later today I am going to make a few dumps and add them to the post. The name of the ic is APL5934D.

I don't believe that the issue is power related, as the machine is not at all old and has very few to no marks of wearing, so I would like an opinion about the dumps I made and the error the machine produces before proceeding deep into motherboard repair. I am attaching the files I have now and later I will try to get the other ic readings. Please let me know of any other information I should provide.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-18-2022, 12:30 PM.

Re: Dell Inspiron 3481 (EDI72 LA-G714P) Powers with charger blinking code

It seems I am most likely wrong about the other ic. It has nothing to do with the issue.

I tried to get new dumps on the Winbond ic, with the same result, every reading is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Umadbro View Post
      It seems I am most likely wrong about the other ic. It has nothing to do with the issue.

I tried to get new dumps on the Winbond ic, with the same result, every reading is different.
      When you get a good bios dump post it in the "Bios Requests ONLY!" section -

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

What bios programmer are you using,and the software version.Are you using a clip .Are you using auto detection or manually choosing it from the part number on top of the chip
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post

What bios programmer are you using,and the software version.Are you using a clip .Are you using auto detection or manually choosing it from the part number on top of the chip

Hi. I managed to get multiple dumps that match each other. But to answer your question, my programmer is "CH341A minProgrammer", the software I'm using is "Ch341a Programmer V2.2.0.10". I used auto detection which gave me 3 options, I chose according to the ic I have.

I solved the issue by removing the cover I put on leg 4 of the programmer. For some reason on my first use, this programmer wouldn't detect the flash, and the solution ended up to be covering leg 4 (gnd), after that, it detected many other ics, so I ust left it there. This times it seems it wasn't letting the reading being done propperly.

I am happy to post my results on "Bios Requests ONLY!", but as I am not sure if the issue lies here, I thought it would be best to create a new topic to diagnose the issue.
        Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-18-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Am I doing it wrong? Should I create a new thread or find one of the same motherboards and issue to post my interest?

I don't want to place it in the wrong spot or hang to another post when I shouldn't, but I just did that over at:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...68#post1100168

Please let me know the right way so I won't cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Umadbro View Post
            Am I doing it wrong? Should I create a new thread or find one of the same motherboards and issue to post my interest?

I don't want to place it in the wrong spot or hang to another post when I shouldn't, but I just did that over at:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...68#post1100168

Please let me know the right way so I won't cause problems.
            you have posted it in the right place,don`t worry, someone ill try to fix it for you.
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

you have posted it in the right place,don`t worry, someone ill try to fix it for you.
              thank you

Comment

Working...
              X