• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extract BIOS from legacy DELL 1764 flash.exe

Hi All,

I just bought an old Dell Inspiron 1764 to put Linux on, but
    before doing that I thought I'd update the BIOS from windows using
    DELL's suggested file FLASHME_v103_Win_1194_4M_1764A13.exe.
    (https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...n-1764/drivers)

This failed and bricked my laptop and this model doesn't seem to have any usb boot type recovery options.

So now I'm trying to flash it myself using a CH341A BIOS USB Programmer
    but can't find any way to get the BIOS image out of the exe file.

I've found suggestions on command line options like /writeromfile etc but they do nothing.
    (https://www.dr-bios.com/threads/how-...e-files.24469/)

I've found some python extraction scripts but they don't work.
    (https://github.com/dreamwhite/bios-e...Dell/README.md)

I found an start address to search for with a hex editor but that didn't work.
    (https://duncanbowring.wordpress.com/...pdate-bricked/)

Can anyone assist?, I really want to keep this laptop from landfill.

Thanks
    Steve

Re: Extract BIOS from legacy DELL 1764 flash.exe

Originally posted by brimley View Post
    Can anyone assist?, I really want to keep this laptop from landfill.

Thanks
    Steve
    Post your corrupt bios backup here in a zip or rar, and also the service tag
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I can't yet post my corrupted BIOS I'm afraid since I have no way to read it yet.
      My Service Tag is 56YL8M1.

Currently, I'm planning to purchase a pre programmed replacement BIOS chip from the Netherlands,
      read the BIOS code from it and reflash my onboard chip using a*CH341A BIOS USB Programmer.

I've not purchased the CH341A yet since I'm trying to make sure I know what to do when I get it,
      there seems to be two chip types(looking at youtube...) and I'm not sure what I've got yet.

Bit new to all this, I only wanted to get the latest BIOS... :-(

Comment

I can't yet post my corrupted BIOS I'm afraid since I have no way to read it yet.
        My Service Tag is 56YL8M1.

Currently, I'm planning to purchase a pre programmed replacement BIOS chip from the Netherlands,
        read the BIOS code from it and reflash my onboard chip using a*CH341A BIOS USB Programmer.

I've not purchased the CH341A yet since I'm trying to make sure I know what to do when I get it,
        there seems to be two chip types(looking at youtube...) and I'm not sure what I've got yet.

Bit new to all this, I only wanted to get the latest BIOS... :-(
        There are some working bios dumps freely available, all you need is the programmer and clip ,don`t buy a preprogrammed chip,no need.
        All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
          There are some working bios dumps freely available, all you need is the programmer and clip ,don`t buy a preprogrammed chip,no need.
          Many Thanks for that encouraging news, any chance you could point me in the right direction?, I haven't managed to find any.

Much appreciated!
          Steve

Comment

OK changing my googling from extract from flash exe to bios dump helped...

I found https://www.laboneinside.com/dell-in...1564-bios-bin/
            which has bios for DAUM3BMB6E0 (which I hope is my motherboard).

It states it is revision E. not sure how that relates to the A10 I had installed and the A13 that bricked it. but I don't care if it revives the laptop...

Two things threw me though, two files? ec.rom and bios.rom? Also I expected 8MB but bios.rom is only 4mb.

RE: using the CH341A, how do I know if I have a version 24x or 25x chip?

This is some voyage of discovery!..

Thanks all
            Steve

Comment

CH341a BIOS is wrong size, where best to ask a question?

Hi All,

I'm wondering where best on the web to ask a BIOS/CH341a question?
              I'll ask it here first!:

The BIOS update.exe from Dell bricked my Inspiron 1764 and I've been on a voyage of discovery ever since trying to get it back.

I've managed to take it all to bits and found the Motherboard is DAUM3BMB6E0 (REV E). So I found two BIOS files on the web. BIOS.rom is 4Mb and EC.rom is 1Mb.

I've got the CH341a to connect to the chip (Winbond 25Q80BVSIG 1011).
              Note: it wasn't ID'd by the software (AsProgrammer_1.4.1), I had to pick it from the list.

The existing code can be read, it's 1MB and all F's.
              When I select the new BIOS file and try to write it, I get an error about it being too big (4Mb).

So my poor laptop is having open heart surgery all over the table and I'm completely stuck on what to do next.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks
              Steve

Comment

Re: CH341a BIOS is wrong size, where best to ask a question?

When I select the new BIOS file and try to write it, I get an error about it being too big (4Mb).

Steve
                You write the 4MB bios to the 4MB chip,and the 1MB bios to the 1MB chip. The 25Q80BVSIG is 8M-BIT (8 megabits) ,which is 1MB

Comment

SMDFlea, many thanks for the reply, I can't tell you how desperate I am to fix this.

Here's my confusion - I thought the bios file (4MB) would go to the BIOS chip
                  (the 25Q80BVSIG ?) and the ec file (1MB) would go to some other controller chip (unknown to me).

Are you saying I should try writing ec.rom (1Mb) to the 25Q80BVSIG ?

Many many thanks for your advice!
                  Steve

Comment

ok quick update, I found a post on these forums entitled dell inspiron 1564 bios needed.
                    Apparently, the 1564 and 1764 are the same.

The files are:
                    dell 1564 HM55_DAUM3BMB6E0 REV.E REV.A00.bin (1Mb)
                    1564_DAUM3MB6E0 REV.E REV.A00.bin (4Mb)

I don't know why the original place I found files called them bios.rom and ec.rom but let's ignore that now.

So... I should try writing the 1Mb file above?

(What's the 4Mb file for ?)

Thanks
                    Steve

Comment

Are you saying I should try writing ec.rom (1Mb) to the 25Q80BVSIG ?
                      Yes.The 4MB bios chip is somewhere else on the board W25Q32BV https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59519

Comment

Ok thanks.
                        I had no idea there were 2 bios chips, but how do I know which one the dell .exe corrupted?
                        Is it possible I need to find the 4mb chip too?

Reading these threads, it looks like there's main,ec and pch bios files... 3?!

Steve

Comment

Ok, more news, the fight continues..
                          I've now found both BIOS chips and I'm attempting to write to them.
                          NB: Neither chip is ID'd, I have to select them from the list, but then both can be raed ok.

Possible protection is enabled. Press "Unprotect" and check datasheet
                          Erasing memory...
                          Canceled by user
                          Current programmer: CH341
                          15:55:04
                          Possible protection is enabled. Press "Unprotect" and check datasheet
                          Programming memory(verifying)...
                          Canceled by user
                          Execution time: 00:00:00

If I click unprotect, it just greys everything out and outputs:
                          Current programmer: CH341
                          Old SREG: 11111111(0xFF), 11111111(0xFF)

I think this is so close now, just need to get past this, any thoughts appreciated.

Many Thanks
                          Steve
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 01-19-2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Ok, more news, the fight continues..
                            Steve
                            Try NeoProgrammer software instead,choose both chips manually . https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...50&postcount=5

Comment

Hi
                              Yes I tried neoprogramner, that can't ID either chip and won't even read them.

I might be at the end of the road now, I found a YouTube video saying it won't work
                              Without taking the chips off the board, I'm not sure I believe that and it's an absolute last resort but I'm feeling beaten at this point.

If only dell could have written a less homicidal update.exe...
                              :-(

Steve
                              P.s
                              I also tried having power to the motherboard, but it made no difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X