Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 UPDATE NIGHTMARE

Hi Everyone,

Got a Windows 10 question, searched the net and found nothing feasible about the issue surrounding updates. For months we have had slow internet speeds and I even got to the point of switching providers. One day a technician came down and figured out after many complaint attempts... it was actually our computer!

Once it was turned off, the internet was fast again... by fast I mean 7Mbps download speeds (yes, Aussie internet is dismal... read about the NBN issues online). When the computer is on I get speeds of 0.25Mbps (or 200k).

So now I'd like to ask... what should I do? It's a new computer, an Acer that came with Windows 10. I go to services.msc and disable updates but over the next few days it will turn back on by itself and Windows won't let me do anything unless I install "crucial security updates".

One suggestion was to go buy a genuine retail version of Windows 7 (I don't even know where I can find this in 2018) and reinstall that? What do you guys think?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Windows 10 UPDATE NIGHTMARE

Download a live Linux distro. Boot from the disc. This removes the OS as the cause and just leaves your hardware.

Comment

Yeah. I would abandon 10. Even if you disable update you still have the start screen and onedrive and all that shit in the background sapping data.
      Last edited by goontron; 04-18-2018, 08:35 AM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Upgrade to win7.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Turn off Windows Update Delivery Optimization. It is likely causing the problem. BUT if windows 10 is taking an update it can be big, 3-4 GB, In some cases it actually downloads the complete os

Type: disable update sharing windows 10, lots of sites on how to disable this.
          I had one windows 10 pc take 2 Fv<king days updating at 1.5Mb

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
            I had one windows 10 pc take 2 Fv<king days updating at 1.5Mb
            And, Windows Update seems to have a habit of downloading a lot slower than your actual connection, so I can believe that, LOL.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I normally run windows 7 on that pc but I did a clone on the drive and used the cloned drive to update to 10 just to try it, but normally I have the windows 7 drive in the pc. every couple months I switch drives, start windows 10, swear at it, and return to windows 7.

You can also do a search for "Things to turn off in windows 10"
              Last edited by R_J; 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

win10 runs a filesharing system in the background similar to a torrent client.
                it uses your computer to supply updates to other suckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Upgrade to win7.
                  This^^
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Down load a Linux distro like mint . Its popular and easy to set up and use . I am using it on my lap top as I type this post .
                    https://linuxmint.com

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      Upgrade to win7.
                      Did exactly that a few days ago after obtaining a genuine COA and all. Works great now with Windows 7 - no issues since.
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

The best way to ease the Win10 updates process is to assign your connection as "metered" connections . Yet , Win10 stinks

Comment

Windows 10 pro works great offline, Just install do updates and don't use it on the internet and it's screaming fast. Windows 7 ultimate for internet.��

Comment

Set your connection as a metered one. I had to do the same as I live in a rural location, and whilst in a game or streaming, it never failed to decide to update.

Comment

Today has been wonderful. My photo editing rig in the shop runs Windows 10. Today it decided it didn't want to boot - kept going to "automatic repair" and giving blank screens. I decided to investigate further and took out all the unnecessary stuff such as the four hard drives and USB stuff. It booted again and was fast - prior days it had been slow to boot and locked up at boot at times.

It decided not to read any of the other SATA hard drives except for the SSD with Windows on it. In BIOS, the computer read all the Hard drives with NO issues at all. I plug the HDDs into another computer and they read fine. Recently I noticed Windows 10 has been updating itself on my work rig - I think an update has done something to it causing this issue to blow out.

Sick of it - installing Windows 7 after managing to source a COA. Now it's time to see what happens.

Comment

UPDATE: Work computer now on Windows 7. Detects HDD's, no issues at all now. Very fast. Now to get work done for my clients!!

Comment

I do this every time I install windows 10.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10...tion-settings/ and this
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kFXnomRWQ

Comment

Working...
                                  X