Xbox one S corrupted startup splash screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox one S corrupted startup splash screen

I have picked up this Xbox, with the intention of repairing it and most likely, to keep it for myself. First time owning a game console(second, if I count the other broken one).
    It is in great condition, without any accessories.
    Owner claims, that it does not play any games.
    I only have one game and another Xbox One S, that I have picked up broken a few days prior this one. That one, had a Call of Duty Black Ops III in the drive.
    That game plays on that Xbox, but does not want to play on this one.
    The game wants to start, shows the Call of Duty splash screen, but then goes back to the dashboard. I have put in a new drive, swapped laser mechanisms between the two Xboxes, cleanes the disk, reset it multiple times and still nothing. I have set up a different microsoft account as well.
    Another weird thing that happens is, that the startup green screen with the XBOX logo is corrupted. Like bad graphics chip corrupted, but only that screen. Everything else, shows very nice and works great.
    I have placed on the HDD, an XBOX X startup splash screen for testing, and that works great and then, when it shows the same green screen with the Xbox logo, it still gets corrupted.
    A movie Blu Ray disk, plays OK.
    I will pick up another game, and I will see what happens with that, but I don't have high hopes.
    I would appreciate any help, that you can provide.

Re: Xbox one S corrupted startup splash screen

Here is a picture.
    I know that looks like it is a GPU issue, but it shows only on this screen.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yikes! Looks like possibly XBox 360 all over again! (a.k.a. XBox 360-gate)
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

If I have the animation file on the hdd, the console it's getting stuck on that screen(corrupted green screen of death). If I remove it, it will boot to the dashboard and almost all is OK.
        When I say almost, I mean it won't play disk games. I have just tried out, a brand new disk and it just bounces back to the dashboard.
        I did not purchase any subscription yet, most likely I won't in the future either, so I don't know, if it works with digital games.
        Any ideas, on what can I do with it? I have pretty much exhausted everything, that I have read and watched on Youtube.

Comment

you can download a fresh install-image from m$ if it's just corrupt o.s.

Comment

I have done that, since I have replaced the hard drive.

Comment

maybe ask on this forum some very knowable people on here
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/ps4repair101/?fref=nf

Comment

Thanks, I will try them out.

Comment

I'm asking questions in many places, but nobody seems to be able to help me.
                  I have even reflowed the GPU, still nothing.

Comment

have a look at this video i follow and watch all of his repair guides they are very good i did send him a comment and you will see he replied and says yes this is the same issue he had so i hope it helps you out too
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll1P...46961491688789

Comment

Thanks, I will give him a try too.
                      It is weird, why none of the games would start(or all would crash)? Not on a disk, or digital download.

Comment

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
                        The game wants to start, shows the Call of Duty splash screen, but then goes back to the dashboard. I have put in a new drive...
                        Honestly, I had an XBOX One that had similar peculiar behaviour:

-load games from disc then show a black screen,
                        -load games from disc then return to dashboard,
                        -load games from HDD then black screen,
                        -load games from HDD then return to dashboard.

My XBOX had a bad hard drive. Specifically, the hard drive worked, but must have had bad sectors that were unreadable (possibly in areas where each of the games I tried were installed, or whatever).

I cloned the bad hard drive onto a new hard drive using software called AOMEI Partition Assistant (There are tutorials on the internet for XBOX One HDD Cloning).

After cloning, I re-installed the new hard drive and did an Offline Update from Microsoft's XBOX Support page to ensure that all files were updated and re-created properly.

My problems were solved.

I did NOT have the glitched XBOX One loading splash screen that you do, but if that stuff is on the hard drive, that could be why (XBOX One will not boot without a hard drive)

If you say you replaced the hard drive, you may have not cloned the hard drive correctly, or you may have copied corrupted information to the new drive as well...

After cloning with AOMEI, I think I did an offline update from MS official site to ensure that all files were rebuilt correctly (I only did the cloning of the crap drive to ensure that my new hard drive could boot the xbox, but I fully believed that there were probably corrupt files that needed to be re-written.)

And as a follow up, after the XBOX was tested working properly for a few weeks, I formatted the suspected "bad hard drive" in Windows 7 under an MS-DOS window, and sure enough there were unrecoverable bad sectors on that drive... Maybe it was bumped or dropped when it was on at a party sometime but I have no idea.
                        Last edited by Unspun01; 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for trying to help.
                          I did not clone the old hard drive, I have started from scratch. Partitioned the hard drive and did the offline USB update.
                          Some people, even Andrew Paul(Youtube), sais that maybe a bed memory is causing this issue.
                          But I have no idea, on how could I find that.

Comment

Hi, were you ever able to solve this?

I have an Xbox One (not S or X) with a very similar issue.

The boot logo plays slightly corrupted, not as bad as yours though.

Some games work, loading save files typically crashes back to the dashboard and other games do not work at all (crash to dashboard).

I have done exactly what you have so far, I replaced the hard drive with an SSD (from scratch, not using the original hdd at all, so no chance on carrying over the corrupt data).

I then also ran a full disk scan on the original hard drive and it checks out fine.

I think what you mentioned about the ram being bad might be the issue. I think the boot logo likely is loaded into a certain part of ram which is why it always is affected, but games are run after the whole OS has loaded and are also likely loaded into different physical memory regions.

I will take apart my console again soon and take a closer look at the ram chips, although I doubt there will be any visible signs.

Comment

I actually must of did something stupid, because now it just turns on and then off.
                              I was trying to repair another water damaged board, using this board as an example. Now, it won't even boot anymore.
                              The three FET rails check out OK.

Comment

check the 4th fet-pair that runs the psu for the other chips.
                                i have one where the smaller of the pair is shorted - gonna try a replacement fet on tuesday.

Comment

If I measure from this point to the ground, it is not shorted.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

dont do that, meter from there to the gate pin in diode range.

Comment

Sorry, it was diode mode, 0.68V.

Comment

that looks ok if its across the fet.

Comment

Working...
                                        X