Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service manuals - going down

Hi all

As you all know I am not as active on Badcaps.net forum as I would otherwise like to be, for a variety of reasons, but mostly related to workload.

The toms-service-manuals.com domain will be expiring next month, and the web hosting will be expiring a few months after that.

I'll likely move to a cheaper webhosting provider (DreamHost is $120 a year, and I basically only host my CV and service manuals now there; the shared server is otherwise underutilised), but I'm wondering if the service manuals site is loved enough to continue it.

I don't receive enough donations as it is to sustain it -- and that's fine, I never intended for it to be a profit-center.

I'm happy to hand the baton over to someone else - to run the site if desired - but right now I can't really justify hosting it given it only gets a few hundred visitors a day. I've a huge back catalogue of manuals to add sometime, but they take a while to go through, name, and add into the system, and I haven't got the time at the moment, in between a full time job and the rest of the time is expended on a year-long project.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

Tom
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Service manuals - going down

Have you looked into cheaper web hosting like Bluhost. Cheapest plan is $3/month. Your site doesnt appear to be indexed by google since I have never seen it on google searches. Properly indexed and putting up some google ads could cover hosting costs and possibly turn a bit of profit.

Comment

I've appreciated your website for some time. It's a great resource.

Is it possible for Badcaps to host this material if you no longer can?

Comment

Bump so more can see this.

I think Topcat offered a while ago but I'm not sure on what the status of that is. I'll have to ask again.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          Hi all

As you all know I am not as active on Badcaps.net forum as I would otherwise like to be, for a variety of reasons, but mostly related to workload.

The toms-service-manuals.com domain will be expiring next month, and the web hosting will be expiring a few months after that.

I'll likely move to a cheaper webhosting provider (DreamHost is $120 a year, and I basically only host my CV and service manuals now there; the shared server is otherwise underutilised), but I'm wondering if the service manuals site is loved enough to continue it.

I don't receive enough donations as it is to sustain it -- and that's fine, I never intended for it to be a profit-center.

I'm happy to hand the baton over to someone else - to run the site if desired - but right now I can't really justify hosting it given it only gets a few hundred visitors a day. I've a huge back catalogue of manuals to add sometime, but they take a while to go through, name, and add into the system, and I haven't got the time at the moment, in between a full time job and the rest of the time is expended on a year-long project.

Thoughts / ideas appreciated.

Tom
          Please PM me . . . perhaps I can be of some help. I sent you an email directly.
          Brett

If you really want to find me, you should already know how. Otherwise just send me a PM.... however their may be a delay as I am a REALLY busy person.

BTW, I love the Mitsubishi DLP's and have three working units and chassis parts from another.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
            Bump so more can see this.

I think Topcat offered a while ago but I'm not sure on what the status of that is. I'll have to ask again.
            Definately miss your input on this forum! Not the same.

Comment

Working...
            X