This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Is there a list of caps i need or should i just see when i open it sometime have to wait till i have the money plus i might end up have to buy a new PSU if this goes bad lol was thinking about doing that anyway but this will be intresting if it works.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

hey guys, shouldnt we be discussing in PSBQP DISCUSSION? or maybe even a new thread, since this is more of a recapping discussion and not a build quality discussion. just something you might want to think about.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

thats true.

phaihn, we can continue in psu build quality discussion sticky.

Comment

BACK TO MORE PICTURES................................

Antec PP-303X...............looks like an AT power supply retrofitted with a piggyback 5vsb pc board. Transformers are labeled with CWT - so I guess it was subcontracted to them.
          Attached Files
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Also the CWT-300 blah blah blah Channel well at the bottom of the label kind of gives it away.

Comment

power up! pu450
              looks gutless for a 450w.
              note missing parts.
              oem is wintech by the e178678 ul number.
              with the missing line parts that fcc stamp is forged too.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kc8adu; 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                power up! pu450
                looks gutless for a 450w.
                note missing parts.
                oem is wintech by the e178678 ul number.
                with the missing line parts that fcc stamp is forged too.
                In my opinion that actually looks like a decent power supply. Just add the input coil and two X caps that it has places for on the PCB, along with a recap, and it should be a reliable power supply for a lower-end computer with a Celeron Dual-Core or Athlon II X2 processor (if it had the 24-pin ATX connector).

It doesn't look like a 450W power supply, but it isn't a bad power supply.
                My gaming PC:
                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Newbie2; It's one thing to fix POS powersupplies because you want to learn
                  Doing it to actually save money or something is just stupid, you just wont
                  Can find a better PSU on ebay for the price of components to get this POS up to spec
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                    Can find a better PSU on ebay for the price of components to get this POS up to spec
                    I improve the power supplies that I already have if possible, I get the input filtering components from old power supplies right now (X and Y caps aren't that expensive though), and aluminum electrolytic capacitors are cheap components.

The importance of the computer power supply I understand is high, that's why I have a well-built power supply in my main desktop PC.

kc8adu's Power Up! power supply definitely looks better than my L&C power supply before I did anything to it (this photo was from the Internet, but this was exactly what my L&C power supply was like):
                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Show your improvements to this L&C.

Long ago, I used to gather up old PSUs and improve the ones that is deemed decent enough with parts salvaged from others. I still do.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                        Show your improvements to this L&C.
                        I already did in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7530

The improvements:
                        1. Replaced two 3A FR302 diodes on +12V rail with STTH2002CT 2x10A TO-220AB diode
                        2. Replaced all secondary and small capacitors (2.2uf and 47uf) with Panasonic FM and FC replacements (the 1000uf 16V cap on the +12V rail was increased to a 2700uf 16V cap)
                        3. Replaced cheap 330uf 200V primary caps with Nichicon PW series 470uf 200V caps
                        4. Added X cap and coil to input filtering
                        5. Replaced four input 2A diodes with 10A bridge rectifier
                        6. Replaced cheap fan with Sunon EE80251S3-0000-999 80x80x25mm 12VDC sleeve bearing fan
                        7. Added two inductors to secondary side

The finished improved L&C power supply:
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

even though it looks ok as in no blown caps,ect it would not run my neighbors e2200 dualcore box reliably.hangs and bsod were several times a day.
                          i put a bestec 300 in it that i recapped.
                          that was 4 days ago.it has been on since with no issues.
                          this unit is a pile of shit.

Comment

even though it looks ok as in no blown caps,ect it would not run my neighbors e2200 dualcore box reliably.hangs and bsod were several times a day.
                            i put a bestec 300 in it that i recapped.
                            that was 4 days ago.it has been on since with no issues.
                            What video card does he have in his PC?
                            My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                              I agree somewhat, though I have to say that it also comes down to how much time you have. If you do have the time and scrap parts, it probably is worthwhile. It's the greener alternative too vs just throwing the PSUs in the trash where they can contaminate groundwater.

If you lived closer, I'd gladly take them all. One man's trash (or in this case, a "pile of shit"), another man's treasure .
                              You should put them in a pile labeled "free, as-is" next to your shop . I'm pretty sure there will be some people to snatch them.
                              Last edited by momaka; 08-24-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

the junkers get stripped of parts when i need something fast and no time to order.
                                any i toss get recycled.the junkers around here are on constant patrol and any scrap gets picked up fast.

Comment

AGI BPS 2504-4U 250W AT power supply
                                  I just recapped this one (got to school a week before class and I have nothing better to do)

Before the recap overhead shot:

Before the recap secondary side:

Picture of the new caps (and the ones they replaced):

The cap replacements were:
                                  +5v:
                                  2x JPCE-TUR 2200uF @ 10v -> 2x Nichicon HE 5600uF @ 10v

+12v
                                  JPCE-TUR 2200uF @ 16v -> Nichicon HE 3900uF @ 16v

-5v & -12v
                                  each 1x JPCE-TUR 470uF @ 16v -> Panasonic FM 680uF @ 16v

Line Filter:
                                  Empty X spot -> 0.068uF X2 that I found in my basement

Primaries are NCC SMG 470uF @ 200v

After the recap secondary side:

Overhead view after the recap:

Pretty good little psu, I use it for testing things mostly. Years and years ago I replaced the fan. I wasn't having any problems with it, I was just bored and decided I could use the practice.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

4 diodes. blech.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I actually had one of these that came out of a old Quantex QP5 pentium. I believe it is a bestec, as thats what the UL on the label led to for me.

Comment

Is that an LED fan?

Comment

And it had the exact same transformer that my old AT AGI 300W Hipro had in it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X