Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative Browsers for older machines

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
    thanks for posting this. i managed to discover that recently last christmas, someone put up a christmas wishlist for k-meleon 1.5.4 with tls support so that web 2.0 is accessible again on win98 machines.

i managed to find a forum topic on the k-meleon forums to download this k-meleon 1.5.4 with tls. here is the link http://o.rths.ml/gpc/files1.rt/K-Mel...en-US.tls12.7z

im now using this to access both bcn and wikipedia (both require modern encryption) with no issues. please view the attached images. thats really nice! tho some webpages still dont display correctly but its fine. rock on!

of course, im posting this msg from k-meleon 1.5.4 in win98se.
    I probably should have asked if this would work on Windows XP first

Can you please tell me why I am getting this error message trying to install this program

I have not had this computer on the internet yet but I would like to activate the product key activation for this computer but I have to have a web browser to be able to do this
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-15-2020, 09:44 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

who ever compiled that program was a dickhead.
      this will help.
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nt-in-visual-c
      https://www.dll-files.com/msvcr71.dll.html

Comment

It look slike it should have been provided with the software. I checked my windows XP machine and it is not installed, but IS included with some other POS (and I don't mean Point Of Sale) software I have.
        Last edited by R_J; 03-15-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

exactly,
          if something is compiled to link to non-core-system external library's then they should be included.
          even if you had it there could be version missmatch issues!

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            I have a question for you about Windows 98

It has an issue with hanging up on shutting down there use to be a fix for this a long long time ago
            That's the old Windows 95 and Windows 98 crashes at shutdown screen bug and it hit Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center LAN-connected PCs super hard!

Microsoft knows about that bug.

XP, OTOH, may look like it's going to crash sometimes on shutdown or reboot, but it never locked up for me. XP is just super slow at logging off sometimes.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

It has an issue with hanging up on shutting down there use to be a fix for this a long long time ago
              i fixed this issue by installing the unofficial win 98 se service pack by exuberant. that service pack includes all the fixes and updates for win98.
              Any pointer can you give to bring it back to life
              dont plug in more than 512mb of ram when installing the os or running without the unofficial service pack. pull out all excess memory modules until u have 512mb total or less.

after installing the service pack, then u can plug in the excess ram and set the vcache and maxphyspage in system.ini to 512mb of ram and 1024 mb of ram respectively.

its best to download the service pack on a linux live session and save it to the hard disk. if u download it on another machine, its convoluted transferring the downloaded file over because win98 doesnt have any built-in usb mass storage drivers so plugging in a thumbdrive wont work. u need the third party native usb mass storage driver first. so which comes first, the chicken or the egg?
              I can not remember if you have to activate the product key or not because if I do not have to go on the internet for this purpose I would not have go on the internet at all
              win 9x doesnt require activation. it only started getting annoying with winxp. not sure about win2k or winme.

Comment

i'm pretty sure win98 did need a 16 digit key

Comment

Windows 2000 was the last one to not require activation. (except for Windows ME, which was basically a Windows 98 SE SP1 with some things taken from Windows 2000, LOL)
                  And Windows versions based on Windows 95, never have activation. Thus, you don't have to worry about activation on Windows ME.

Windows 2000 has an annoying bug that Microsoft refused to fix, IIRC.
                  But, for me, it seemed to be more likely to occur when you don't have an ethernet controller, when I had 56K:

Windows 2000 has the dreaded must-wait-for-at-least-1-minute bug, where Windows 2000 will hang for at least 1 minute and give you the following error message in the event log:

X Error

Source: Userenv

Windows cannot unload the registry classes file.

DETAIL - Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)).

-----------------------------------------------------

(or similar)

The above error, IIRC, OTOH, doesn't occur on XP.

XP handles programs that have the registry in use better and simply treats it as a warning, normally.
                  Windows 2000 has no such thing.

Normally, Windows XP logs off much faster, even when Windows XP detects a program hanging on to the registry and logs the incident.

Under XP, a Userenv issue is not an error, just a warning.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-16-2020, 11:59 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                  X