Sony un50h5500 washed out image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony un50h5500 washed out image

Picture of tv is washed out, but all features are working and visable. There may be a slight blur to the text, but not sure that's just a result of the washed out effect, or a sign of something more, as i ordered a t-con board replacement from shop Jimmy and got the exact same results.

From what I've gleaned from the web, this issue is usually due to a bad cmi ic chip on the tcon, so either I got a bad board from shop Jimmy with the exact same issue or there is another possible cause of this issue that im missing.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Re: Sony un50h5500 washed out image

I've done AS15 replacements repeatedly on LCD TV screens with washed out images with no change and my conclusion that the issue had to be the panel and not the tcon. Have you tried powering up the tv with only one side from the tcon connected at a time?

Comment

Thx for responding. I tested with alternating discommect of the tcon ribbon cables and same washed out result on each side. 100% of screen image is visable, but dull/faded display that has a white washed haze.

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
      I've done AS15 replacements repeatedly on LCD TV screens with washed out images with no change and my conclusion that the issue had to be the panel and not the tcon. Have you tried powering up the tv with only one side from the tcon connected at a time?

Comment

I've also ordered used tcons that were obviously bad as well. Companies that take returns most likely don't test them so a bad tcon can be resold repeatedly.

Comment

Anybody got a schematic/service manual for this TV or tcon so that i can rule out defective part?

Comment

With the fact that the issue is the same on both sides when alternating cables, does this make it more likely that the issue is a defective part order was received?

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
            I've also ordered used tcons that were obviously bad as well. Companies that take returns most likely don't test them so a bad tcon can be resold repeatedly.

Comment

Can we see a decent photo of the tcon?

Comment

Here ya go.

Originally posted by diif View Post
                Can we see a decent photo of the tcon?
                Attached Files

Comment

Sticker numbers don't match, wonder if maybe it's not compatible?

Comment

I've fallen into this trap before, buying a t-con matching the board part numbers only to find that it still doesn't work.
                    You need to ensure the T-con came from the same panel as your tv too! and just matching the t-con board is defo a no-no.

Problem is, most ebay sellers don't make a note of the panel part number the t-con came from so sometimes just matching the TV model number and t-con board number is not enough.

So don't write off that TV just yet.
                    Last edited by notallbad; 03-31-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The PCBA numbers on the barcode sticker do not matched.
                      SJ PCBA is 32746A, your is 30065A, you may want to verify that with SJ.
                      https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...con-board.htm#
                      BTW, going by the model number you provide, TV is SAMSUNG, not SONY.
                      Last edited by budm; 03-31-2020, 04:07 PM.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You are correct on both accounts. Odd that it works exactly the same on both board, but i did in fact order the wrong part. Time to order another, although I may try to swap the cmi pwr driver ic to see if it fixes the issue. If not then I'll order the correct part.

Also, not sure why I got sony stuck in my head, it's definitely a samsung. Thx for getting me back on track.

Originally posted by budm View Post
                        The PCBA numbers on the barcode sticker do not matched.
                        SJ PCBA is 32746A, your is 30065A, you may want to verify that with SJ.
                        https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...con-board.htm#
                        BTW, going by the model number you provide, TV is SAMSUNG, not SONY.

Comment

Thx, you are correct. I'm going to sort it out and see if it can still be saved.

Originally posted by notallbad View Post
                          I've fallen into this trap before, buying a t-con matching the board part numbers only to find that it still doesn't work.
                          You need to ensure the T-con came from the same panel as your tv too! and just matching the t-con board is defo a no-no.

Problem is, most ebay sellers don't make a note of the panel part number the t-con came from so sometimes just matching the TV model number and t-con board number is not enough.

Comment

Ok, so I swapped some parts from sj board that was a non match with original board.

Swapped cm608 ic and p12 voltage reg. (voltage on regulator is 3.3v on left side and right side is 1.2 which I thought was vr output and was also supposed to be 3.3v)

No change, but ive now noticed that the cm603 ic which is the smaller ic on the right hand side is extremely hot. However, not sure if this ic is interchangeable. Anyone know for sure, as i could find no data sheets for any components.

Originally posted by notallbad View Post

Comment

The tcons are only a few bucks: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

Comment

Correct, but you never know if you're getting a fully functioning one when oreldering used. And I already wasted 30 on the shopjimmy board. I already have one on order, but figured I would try repairing since I have the required tools and skill. Just need schematics. Right to repair needs to hurry up

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post

Comment

Ouch, you could have sent the 30 dollar board back and gotten 4 or 5 from ebay, I've had good luck on ebay like 95 percent, when the cost is 1/5 I'm buying, shopjimmy stands by their stuff but so do many honest people on ebay. Not that I like ebay's greediness with recent policy changes but that's another story.

Comment

So just an update...

Cm603 was almost burning hot to the touch, so I pulled ic chip from one of the non matching boards for swap. After completing reinstall of the swap chip it was still hot to touch but I noticed that the color settings were now slightly better, so I fiddled with controls and options cycling through to see if it could be made right

After 10 minutes of fn with settings, the picture snapped to and the overheat of cm603 ceased and is now cool to the touch while in operation.

Ultimately I swapped 608 and 603. 603 seems to be inline with short but maybe not the exact cause as overheat persisted for a time after swap.

It was reported to me that tv had been wiped tv with a damp cloth prior to screen bleach affliction. Some signs of potential water penetration behind filter layers near edges were visible. Any chance that if water got on the cof tabs it would need to be baked off with heat before short would disappear. (Just curious)

In reflection, I think 608 was dead and overheat on 603 did not occur until 608 was swapped. However replace of 603 was necessary to get whatever bad juju that still remained worked out. Time will tell if it's a permanent fix.
                                    Last edited by mnaty; 04-07-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X