Dell SFF PSU's OSTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell SFF PSU's OSTs

I replaced 10 MCZ and 1 MBZ swollen/leaky Rubys in a SFF GX280, which made it POST, boot, and run Memtest 4 passes using a spare PS before I turned it off.

Put on a tester it failed on 12V and its fan wouldn't run, so I opened up its PSU to find 2 each of Lelon and Taicon, and 11 OST. The 10x25 1200uF 16v RLS is clearly junk. The only thing here close is Panasonic FM, which as I read the sheets is actually better. It has 3 10x20 2200uF 6.3V, 2 of RLP, and 1 of RLS. 1 RLP is clearly junk. All I have that's close to either is Nich HE in 10x25. It's only slightly worse in specs compared to RLS for both ESR and ripple. The RLP specs about the same as HE in ESR, about 2/3 of HE ripple. A 470uF 10V RLS is also junk, which I could replace with Panasonic FR. Last on the end with the junks is a (popped bottom) 12x20 2200uF 10V RLS, which my only physical matches for are Nich 10V PS (good ESR, but only 53% of ripple) and 16V HN (good ESR, 43% higher ripple). I also have an 85C .04 ESR 12x25 Elna.

At the other end are 2 18x40 RLG 470uF 200V that I could replace today with Nich PZ, plus a 100uF 35V and a 10uF 50V I can't read series from without removing first.

People here often say replace all OST, while others suggest OSTs that haven't already failed in a hot environment amount to tested OK. Should I replace everything OST above 470uF? Everything OST 470uF up? Everything OST? Just replace those tested bad? Is there something I don't have a good enough match for?

This GX280 is for my own use, mostly for keeping Linux developers honest WRT old hardware. It's the first Optiplex series with PCIe instead of AGP. I'd rather not take more than minimal risk on having to go back inside this miserable little hard-to-work-on PS. Just the same, if I can't proceed with caps I have on hand, it won't get done til next year, yet another project stalled waiting on parts at the change of a year.

Suggestions and recommendations, other than junking the GX280, welcome.

PS, anyone know a good source for 12V 60mmX15mm fans like these use?

Re: Dell SFF PSU's OSTs

OST is absolute garbage and fails most of the time without bloating. Replace everything.

Everything sounds ok except for the 10V 2200uF 12.5x20mm:

RLS 0.021 2360
    PS 0.075 1250

You *might* be able to get away with it because it's either the 3.3V or 5V rail, but I don't recommend it. If the RLS failed with a popped bottom, I wouldn't try it because it sounds like it was meant to suppress a lot of ripple. Don't use HN either, they're not meant for PSUs. Look around for 6.3V 2200uF. You can use 6.3V instead of 10V caps because 10V caps are for either the 3.3V or 5V rail on the output. 3300uF will also work just fine.

If you can't find anything suitable, spend a couple of bucks and buy them here:
    link (These are best offer so you can pick these up for less than $5 at most if you haggle a bit and ask for lower shipping since these are within the US)

I would replace the primaries -- I don't know how reliable OST primaries are so that's a definitely good idea. The 35V 100uF and the 50V 10uF cap are important to replace, but the series you use to replace them is not as important as the quality of the brand. Make sure you get all the other small caps too, there have got to be more than just that 50V 10uF.

Regarding the fan... Is this a sleeve bearing fan? I have come to prefer decent sleeve bearing fans over cheap ball bearing fans because I usually have great success re-greasing them, whereas ball bearings are difficult to replace. What you need to do is take the sticker off the fan, remove the plug, remove the plastic snap-ring (Possible also the tiny rubber o-ring), clean it very well, then apply some good silicone-based bearing lubricant.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      If you can't find anything suitable, spend a couple of bucks and buy them here:
      link (These are best offer so you can pick these up for less than $5 at most if you haggle a bit and ask for lower shipping since these are within the US)
      If he's in the US, there's no reason to suggest fleabay. Remember, even if those are not fakes, they are very old stock. Nichicon HD don't have sleeves on them these days (see http://in.element14.com/productimage...d/42261018.jpg). 10V 2200uF in 12.5mm diameter is an extremely common size. You can get Nichicon HE and HD, NCC KY and KZE, Rubycon YXG and ZL, and Panny FM in that size, which you can get from digikey

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1502-ND/589243
      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1510-ND/756026
      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1650-ND/756166
      http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...170-ND/3564034

Any one of those would do you.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

If he's in the US, there's no reason to suggest fleabay. Remember, even if those are not fakes, they are very old stock. Nichicon HD don't have sleeves on them these days
        Those are most certainly not fakes, and I took that into consideration.

The difference here is paying Digikey $5 just for the shipping, then the cost of the part and taxes versus paying $2-$3 on eBay. I'm the last person to advocate buying capacitors on eBay, but in a case like this where he only needs one, and there's a US seller who has NOS, it's a no-brainer.

Nichicon HD is too new a series to worry about the age. I would say anything made after 2000 is OK.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
          ...not meant for PSUs.
          I've seen this written here more than once, which is one reason I started this thread. What characteristic of power supplies makes some seemingly appropriate caps unsuited for them? Can impedance be too low, or ripple too high? Is this where ripple needs to be extra high? Not knowing this makes it hard to figure out which among the alternatives to the 2200/10 you suggest would be better than a physically matching HN. In 2200/6.3 I have 10x25 Nich HE. In 3300/6.3 I have 12.5x20 Nich HM and 10x25 Pan FR. In 3300/10 I have 12.5x25 Nich HD and 10x20 Ruby PX. For 3300/16 I have 1 remaining 0.04ESR 12.5x20 (bought >10 years ago) Jackcon and 12.5x25 Nich VZ.

What I thought were a pair of 8X20 100uF 10V Lelons are Ltech brand marked LZG105°C(M). I have 8x20 Nich PW, 8x15 Pan FR and 10x16 in Nich HD, HM and VZ I could replace these with.

You hit the mark with "got to be more than just that 50V 10uF". On the main board I missed a 3rd small OST, so there are RLGs of 10uF 50V and 2.2uF 50V, plus an 8x12 RLS 100uF 35V.

I short counted the Taicons too, which are 5.5x11 6.8uF 50V and 47uF 25V, plus a 7x12 100uF 25V. 6.8uF I've never encountered before, and have none. 100uF 25V I have in Pan NHG only (plus 16V in Pan FR). 47uF 25V I have in .45 ESR Jackcon and Nich VZ.

The really bad news is the daughterboard I never even looked at until after you replied. It is extra tightly packed (by LiteOn) and hard to deal with, between my ancient eyes' difficulty focusing except at exactly the optimal distance yet needing abundant light to see what I'm trying to focus on. These 5.5x11 OST RLGs with brown print on black cans were all installed legs folded and bathed in brown glue. The first 4 removed of the 6 total were 22uF 50V, the next 10uF 50V, and the last 4.7uF 50V. I had all 6 removed before noticing the last was 4.7, then that the next last was 10, figured out only from location of residual glue. The "easy" part was getting them removed. Whether I'll ever get new back into position to solder may require I find 2 tweens with 20/15 vision and 4 hands of an 8 year old to do the work.

22uF 50V and 10uF 50V I have in Nich PW. Matching 100uF 35V I have only my last .34 ESR Mallory SEK or a used .28 ESR Sprague that looks like has a 30 year old date code. The 100uF 35V sits where there's room for much larger can. I could put a .11 ESR 10x16 Jackcon there. Otherwise, replacing this one means ordering again, but what from where? OST claims this 100uF 35V RLS has 760 ripple, but the highest ripple for 100/35 Mouser has in stock is 555, unless I choose a smaller can size and only 700 ripple in 661-EKZN350E101MF11D. Even going up to 50V, Mouser stock only goes up to 724 ripple in Nich HD or UCC KZE.

If I have to order again because of this, it begs the question what to replace the 12.5x20 2200uF 10V RLS with. Mouser has UHD1A222MHD too, but what about 12x20 2200uF 10V EEU-FM1A222, 12.5x20 2200uF 16V EEU-FR1C222, or 10x25 2200uF 6.3V EEU-FM0J222L? Are these "not meant for PSUs" too?

About the fan all I can add now is it didn't spin when I connected the PS tester to it. Its wires end in a big ball of glue among lebenty gazillion other wires on the daughterboard. I have a SFF GX270 PS with a fan that doesn't spin too. The only new 3 wire 60x15 fan I have is marked only VIO & Made in China. Attempts to resurrect 40mm and smaller fans here have produced disappointing results. Larger I've never tried reviving.

Comment

the fans on the mini dell shit - and they are shit, are known to fail.

i mentioned one of the mini supplies in another thread once, now i have another model here for repair.
            more shit - the primary 400v capxon leaked at the bung and blew the fet, 3 diodes and the fuse (that i'v found so far!)

you shouldnt have much trouble finding 12v 60mm fans.

Comment

this will get you going without paying postage.
              http://www.dx.com/p/6015s-dc-12v-0-3...6-x-6cm-138608

in the long run, you want one with ball bearingsand full spec on cfm etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmazda View Post
                I've seen this written here more than once, which is one reason I started this thread. What characteristic of power supplies makes some seemingly appropriate caps unsuited for them? Can impedance be too low, or ripple too high? Is this where ripple needs to be extra high?
                Ripple is not a binding characteristic, which means higher-ripple current capability in a capacitor does not change the circuit, it only means that the the higher the ripple spec the more AC current the capacitor can filter out. When you replace a capacitor, you either match the current or go higher, how much higher is irelevant.

Ultra-Low ESR capacitors are not suitable because the circuit is not designed to handle the very low impedance. c_hegge can explain this a lot better than I can. I would just be parroting technical jargon I don't really understand if I were to explain it.
                Not knowing this makes it hard to figure out which among the alternatives to the 2200/10 you suggest would be better than a physically matching HN. In 2200/6.3 I have 10x25 Nich HE. In 3300/6.3 I have 12.5x20 Nich HM and 10x25 Pan FR. In 3300/10 I have 12.5x25 Nich HD and 10x20 Ruby PX. For 3300/16 I have 1 remaining 0.04ESR 12.5x20 (bought >10 years ago) Jackcon and 12.5x25 Nich VZ.
                The obvious and best choice here is the 10V 3300uF 12.5x25 Nichicon HD. The Panasonic FR is also suitable but I would save it for when you might need a 3300uF PSU cap replacement in 10mm.
                What I thought were a pair of 8X20 100uF 10V Lelons are Ltech brand marked LZG105°C(M). I have 8x20 Nich PW, 8x15 Pan FR and 10x16 in Nich HD, HM and VZ I could replace these with.
                I think you mean 10V 1000uF not 100uF. There's no way a 100uF cap would be 8x20mm The 8x15 Panasonic FR and the 10x16 Nichicon HD are suitable here (Assuming you can fit 10mm in here).
                You hit the mark with "got to be more than just that 50V 10uF". On the main board I missed a 3rd small OST, so there are RLGs of 10uF 50V and 2.2uF 50V, plus an 8x12 RLS 100uF 35V.
                Make sure to get those... Those will definitely give you trouble otherwise.
                I short counted the Taicons too, which are 5.5x11 6.8uF 50V and 47uF 25V, plus a 7x12 100uF 25V. 6.8uF I've never encountered before, and have none. 100uF 25V I have in Pan NHG only (plus 16V in Pan FR). 47uF 25V I have in .45 ESR Jackcon and Nich VZ.
                for 5x11 6.8uF use 10uF instead. For 6.3x11.5 25V 100uF - which series of Taicon? You might use 16V Panasonic FR here as long as the ripple matches (280 ripple). For 25V 47uF I would use neither Jackcon nor Nichicon VZ but you should be able to get away with using VZ.
                The really bad news is the daughterboard I never even looked at until after you replied.
                I've done those daughterboards before. You need to remove the entire thing from the PSU by wicking away the solder from the pins... You ought to practice on other boards though, because this sort of thing takes experience. What I've found is forcing the pins from the sides of the hole after wicking them away helps unstick them. Make sure not to rip away any pads.

You'll also have to remove every trace of this brown glue from the entire PSU. The old trend was to use this stuff, which is organic in its composition, and carbonizes and becomes conductive as it ages. The only way I've found it possible to remove it cleanly was to soak it in charcoal fluid and then blast it with a heatgun. Only then did it come off in one piece. I did this on a FSP PSU3528-20D-17P Rev. 1.05 daughterboard for a 350PN PSU. FSP stopped using this glue on this same model of PSU from later years. I've also spent quite a bit of time carefully removing this glue from Bestec PSUs by methodically picking away at it with needle nose pliers -- albeit sometimes having to desolder components to do it. Keep in mind that if the glue is bonded between a diode leg and a resistor of two rails that are not meant to be shorted to eachother, and it carbonizes and becomes conductive, *poof* goes your PSU.
                22uF 50V and 10uF 50V I have in Nich PW. Matching 100uF 35V I have only my last .34 ESR Mallory SEK or a used .28 ESR Sprague that looks like has a 30 year old date code. The 100uF 35V sits where there's room for much larger can. I could put a .11 ESR 10x16 Jackcon there. Otherwise, replacing this one means ordering again, but what from where? OST claims this 100uF 35V RLS has 760 ripple, but the highest ripple for 100/35 Mouser has in stock is 555, unless I choose a smaller can size and only 700 ripple in 661-EKZN350E101MF11D. Even going up to 50V, Mouser stock only goes up to 724 ripple in Nich HD or UCC KZE.
                50V is no problem. You have Panasonic FR in 8x11.5 with 870 ripple here.
                If I have to order again because of this, it begs the question what to replace the 12.5x20 2200uF 10V RLS with. Mouser has UHD1A222MHD too, but what about 12x20 2200uF 10V EEU-FM1A222, 12.5x20 2200uF 16V EEU-FR1C222, or 10x25 2200uF 6.3V EEU-FM0J222L? Are these "not meant for PSUs" too?
                If you have to order again, you might want to consider just getting a completely different PSU of a different OEM. Dell used many different OEMs for the same model computers. If you can get a Delta, you'd probably have a lot less work to do (Meaning the Delta PSU would probably also need re-capping, but Delta never used that cheap conductive glue AFAIK). So unless this is a labour of love, you're going to end up investing a lot of time and money on this. If you do want to go through with it, I can reference you all the replacements from Mouser if you type up all the original parts in a neat order like this:

Volts, Capacity, Diameter (Width * Height), Brand, Series

About the fan all I can add now is it didn't spin when I connected the PS tester to it. Its wires end in a big ball of glue among lebenty gazillion other wires on the daughterboard. I have a SFF GX270 PS with a fan that doesn't spin too. The only new 3 wire 60x15 fan I have is marked only VIO & Made in China. Attempts to resurrect 40mm and smaller fans here have produced disappointing results. Larger I've never tried reviving.
                You might take stj's advice and order one from DX, though I'd personally re-grease the original myself. A new, cheap ball-bearing fan is not as good as a used, properly cleaned and re-greased sleeve bearing fan.

Comment

One more thing about the glue... Make sure it is the organic kind before you go picking away at it.

If it's brown but a very dense foam-like glue then it's fine.

Comment

Your wish is my command mockingbird:
                    Code:
                    Volts Capy Wdth Hght Brand Ser Quan Loc     Inventory     uF  ESR
                      10 2200  12  20 OST  RLS   1 203             leaky 8.4
                     6.3 2200  10  20 OST  RLS   0 206 Nich HE 10x25      2147 0.02
                     6.3 2200  10  20 OST  RLP   0 285 Nich HE 10x25      1183 1.3
                     6.3 2200  10  20 OST  RLP   3 283 Nich HE 10x25      2135 0.02
                      16 1200  10  25 OST  RLS   1 223 Pan FM 10x25       leaky 3.6
                      10 1000  8  20 Ltec LZG   0 504 Pan FR 8x15       still sld
                      10 1000  8  20 Ltec LZG   2 503 Pan FR 8x15       still sld
                     200 470  18  40 OST  RLS   2 prim 18x40 NichPZ       still sld
                      16 470  8  12 Nich HM   2 X600 want poly?        468 0.01
                      10 470  8  12 OST  RLS   1 510 8x11.5 16V Pan FR    leaky >20
                      10 470  10 12.5 Nich HC   4 X600 16V Nich HM; want poly
                      35 100  5  11 OST  RLG   1 306              72 8.5
                      25 100  7  12 Tai  C(VT)  1 261 6.3x11.2 Pana NHG rip130  95 0.7
                      25  47  5  11 Tai  C(VT)  1 262              46 1.39
                      50  22  5  11 OST  RLG   4 dbrd 5x11 NichPW        10 1.83
                      50  10  5  11 OST  RLG   0 dbrd 5x11 NichPW/LelonRXJ   16.3 2.9
                      50  10  5  11 OST  RLG   0 308 5x11 NichPW/LelonRXJ   still sld
                      50 6.8  5  11 Tai  C(VT)  3 302 10uF5x11 NichPW/LelonRXJ still sld
                      50 4.7  5  11 OST  RLG   1 dbrd   100V Jackcon only  4.19 3.2
                      50 2.2  5  11 OST  RLS   1 632   100V Jackcon only    2  3
                                     28 Total
                    Wicking away solder with braid is the only way I know how. I learned how to replace 24 pin eproms with sockets nearly 3 decades back, but I'm out of practice for more than about 8 pins. The daughter card has a gaggle of wires to pull on it and make working with this PS at all no small feat. Probably I can work new ones onto the daughter card with a helping hand with less difficulty than fighting the weight after separation.

All the dense foam-like "glue" is white. The brown where thin is brittle and flakes away easily. Thicker sections are softer. There aren't many parts where the brown was used. The white was used more liberally. Most of the brown I've already picked away.

I can't envision locating another power supply and investing any less time than proceeding with this. I might have a better chance of success that way, assuming not another LiteOn, but considering the time already invested and the value of the gracious assistance received and offered here I'd rather keep working on this one. If I tried to buy used by part number from eBay it seems likely I'd get another LiteOn. Many others listed there claim to fit older models with PATA HDs that use different device connectors than these newer with SATA HDs, shrinking the pool of those with reasonable likelihood of being better than what I have.

Partial shopping list:
                    C203 Nich HD 1200/10V
                    C306 Panasonic FR 100/50V
                    Dbrd Nich VZ 4.7/100V
                    C632 Nich VZ 2.2/100V

X600 is a Radeon PCIe card.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmazda View Post
                      I can't envision locating another power supply and investing any less time than proceeding with this
                      What is the part number of this power supply? I don't see it listed in any of the posts?
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Here you are, good sir:

1) 16V 2200uF 12.5 x 20mm UCC KZN
                        2) Use Inventory
                        3) Use Inventory
                        4) Use Inventory
                        5) Use Inventory
                        6) Use Inventory
                        7) Use Inventory
                        8) Use Inventory
                        9) Videocard - post pics
                        10) Use Inventory
                        11) Videocard - post pics
                        12) 50V 100uF 8 x 11.5mm Panasonic FR
                        13) Do not use inventory, NHG is a general purpose cap. Use 35V 100uF 6.3 x 11mm Nichicon HV instead.
                        14) 35V 47uF 5 x 11mm UCC KZN
                        15) PW is good, but FR is better.
                        16) PW is good, KY is better.
                        17) PW is good, KY is better.
                        18) 100V 6.8uF 5 x 11mm UCC KY
                        19) 50V 4.7uF 5 x 11mm UCC KY
                        20) 100V 2.2uF 5 x 11mm UCC KYA

Taking into consideration what c_hegge said about HD now being a sleeveless series (I'm not sure if this is correct though. True, I've seen plenty of sleeveless HD, but I've always assumed these were custom ordered), I changed C203 to UCC KZN.

Regarding the videocard, can you post a picture of it as well as a list of caps... What problem are you having with it exactly?

Comment

Regarding the videocard -

This guy is selling 17 of them for around $10 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151444319349

For that price, I wouldn't bother. These should last you for the rest of your life lol. True, they're 128mb vs 256mb you already have, but OS/2 is not going to use even 32MB.

Comment

Here is my X600 video card thread with pics and answers.

I made and saved a Mouser cart with everything I need from mockingbird's list, but then went though my inventory to clear some todos, such as my distribution amp thread here, to add to that cart. It isn't a big shortage, but trying to fill it turned into a big time gobbler, largely from a diversion into filling out my inventory database with new columns for L.S., ripple, "product", series and last price paid, and finally discovering where some long missing inventory had been hiding. Without my diversions Mouser should have been able to ship today. That was my plan when I first saw mockingbird's reply anyway.

Dell Optiplex GX280 SFF 2R0QS71 160W PS part number: PS-5161-7DS
                            Serial: B 01331881 Level 3
                            Made in China
                            Bar code: CN-0U5427-71615-54U-1399
                            REV A02
                            Attached Files

Comment

i ran the part number on the fan, those cheap bastards used a sleeve-bearing fan!

Comment

I'd take that Sunon sleeve bearing fan anyday over a cheap ball-bearing one. Grease it up with something decent and it should be good for several years.

As for your card, I saw the post. I don't recopmmend re-capping it. I agree with the consensus that there's probably something else wrong with it. Here are a few 256mb from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321624772732
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/151519543027
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/381091178123

etc...

Comment

that sunon probably has a wrecked bearing,
                                  they dont last in hot devices.
                                  dont confuse a sleeve-bearing fan that stops because of no lube with a good sleeve-bearing fan that has simply run till it wore the bronze away..

Comment

I don't know, I've brought back some pretty crusty fans... If the plastic snap ring is brittle and cracks when removed then I agree, time to toss it in the rubbish bin.

Comment

Your help and my persistence paid off. 22 new PS and 11 new motherboard radials later, the SFF GX280 is running, with the original PS fan warming my house. My digital PS tester gave it an OK, so I put the cover on and installed it. The PC arrived sans HD, so I first booted a DOS floppy, then a Knoppix CD, then found an unmarked HD with Dell sliders already on it, put it in, and booted to a virgin XP installation. I took that HD out and found one that had been upgraded from to larger, put it in, and all it needed was a minor config tweak on account of the different mac address. I've kept it busy the past 6 hours or so, and haven't seen any hiccups. At shutdown time just now it had just finished upgrading from openSUSE 12.2 to 12.3. Next workout will take 12.3 to 13.1.

This is not something I wish to ever do again. Recapping generally, OK, but not 100% on a PS so densely packed as this. I did the daughterboard more easily than I expected, and without removing it from its mother, but the time I spent was insane.

I did take another look at the SFF GX270 PS I mentioned here. It still has 5 OSTs, one of which likely is 47uF 50V or less. It's hiding behind a heat sink and transformer where I almost can't even find it. There's no way I'd ever get it out without removing a zillion pin daughtercard to do. 2 remaining are RLS 18x40s, and 2 look like RLS probably 47uF or 100uf 25V or 35V. All others are Taicon or Ltec. As its fan spins and the PS tester says it's OK ever since I replaced the obviously bad OSTs, I think it's going to go back in as is. The 18X40s I took out of the 280 PS meter very close to equivalent new PZ Nichicons. These are fairly well glued in place. I might try changing the smaller doable two before putting the cover on.

Thanks to all for their generous assistance.

Comment

long-nose pliers or good tweezers can get the small stuff hiding between tall parts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X