Norton Internet Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norton Internet Security

I figured out what was causing me not to be able to view advert banners here as well as not being able to see pics over at NavSource .

Ok....does Norton Internet Security serve any useful purpose????
    Last edited by stretch0069; 03-30-2007, 08:49 PM.
    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Re: Norton Internet Security

Nope. Not unless its the 2007 edition, which was a major revision.

Comment

I'll reword the question for you

Does any Norton product serve any useful purpose? (except slowing the PC down)
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

slowing down your pc and stuffing it when you try and uninstall it

Well some older version did anyway

Take the disc to the range mate and put it to good use
        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
          slowing down your pc and stuffing it when you try and uninstall it

Well some older version did anyway

Take the disc to the range mate and put it to good use
          place norton disk in trap.
          load shotgun
          yell pull!

Comment

need something more dramatic......

....maybe placing it on top of a pile of black powder.

Comment

well...i just uninstalled Norton....now my sounds are screwed up.

i think i'm going to find the first portajohn and throw it in there.

Comment

stretch, sorry to hear about your dilemma. Which version did you just uninstall? Did you make a backup first?

I still use Norton on one of my desktops; I have NIS 2007 installed. One thing I learned after problems with 2005 and 2006 installs/uninstalls is to back up the entire system, uninstall and go through the registry and the rest of the computer, remove all instances of Norton. Then, install my new version. 2007 installed without a hitch and runs nicely.

My kid says my computer is slow (but, I've always heard that for the past 4 years or so); but, I don't notice it (maybe cuz I'm slow?). I don't care - my computer does what I want it to do, so I am happy -- AND, I don't get viruses -- so I AM HAPPY.

Comment

Hmmm....glad I have not tried Norton Internet Security since my last bad experience! At the moment I use a combination of NOD32 for anti-virus and Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall as my firewall. Has been pretty good. I am not sure if anyone has tried Kaspersky, I am seriously considering giving it a go when I reformat my computer. I have read some very good things about it, I especially like the fact that it consumes a small amount of memory and CPU usage.

Has anyone had any experience with the Kaspersky Internet Security Suite?

Comment

The far older versions were good.The components included in system works 99 worked perfectly on my older windows systems. Just don't install crash guard (because it's bad for doing more harm than good) and antivirus can not get new definitions.
                    I have always loved the system monitor though.
                    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

the antivirus corporate versions are fine.
                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                        the antivirus corporate versions are fine.
                        Yes, and they also do not require you to enter any keys or validate online

hint hint
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

IMO, Norton Internet Security is useless except for parting home consumer with their money.

Most of the machines I get in for rebuild after a virus attack, have Norton antivirus installed.

My medical clients that use the Olympus DS-4000 dictation system have no end of grief with NIS because it blocks the SMTP mail engine in the DS-4000 that sends transcription files. I have to remove NIS and NAV from their machines and replace them with more business-friendly products.

NIS/NAV are horribly invasive and commandeer the computer. Slow down is indeed a fact of life with these products. I recently did a Custom installation of Systemworks 2006 Premier, and elected only the Norton Utilities portion. I further selected only WinDr, DiskDr, and SpeedDisk, and deselected the buggy System Doctor. The software still installed some invasive Norton Protection bullshit that dug its claws into my machine.

I restored from a GHOST image, then installed the same functions from the 2006 Standard package, and got only the utilties I wanted. IMO, the rest of the Norton stuff is fluff and junk. YMMV.

Comment

I have also found nothing wrong with Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition. It is much leaner than the bloated Norton Internet Security. One thing that I have grown to like with NOD32 is that it tells me when the virus signatures have been updated. Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition does not. I guess I am a bit paranoid but I would love to have a small bubble come up telling me when it has updated itself. I understand that this is not a good 'feature' in a business situation, however I am curious whether it can be done.

Oh yes, I too have noticed that no CD-Key is required!

Comment

Well, if you install it the way it's supposed to be; with a server managing it, you sure can ;-)

Comment

bgavin, I use NIS 2007 on one of my machines. I know it's bloated and intrusive. However, I have never gotten nasties on this machine - Norton has caught them as they came in. A couple of times (long time ago) I had hacker attacks that Norton stopped.

I figure that my son says my machine is slow no matter what I do to it and the slow doesn't bother me for the most part so.....NIS 2007 installed and running properly is OKAY with me.

I am trying out different programs on different computers however. I put Nod32 on my laptop and on my dad's recently repaired desktop. I have AVG on an older Dell running 98Lite. I haven't seen Nod32 or AVG in action against nasties, so I am still partial to NIS just because I have seen it working properly.

I have noticed that any program trying to do more - cover more area then it was originally designed to do - is bloaty, intrustive and slower. I think it's the nature of the beast. Hehe, kinda like me gaining weight - I am bloaty and slower ;-).

Comment

One thing that I have grown to like with NOD32 is that it tells me when the virus signatures have been updated. Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition does not.
                                  it does when you have files in quarantine.
                                  It says virus signatures have been updated...should i try to fix the files in quarantine.........ok i tried but i couldnt.............aaaaah fuck off......

it also likes to....identify some typical warez cracks like hacktool as virii

apart from that its fine and some clients have commented that they like the simple interface.
                                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

it also likes to....identify some typical warez cracks like hacktool as virii

Yeah, after Avira AntiVir decided a few of my programs were Trojans, it got dumped. Using NOD32 now, and yes, I'm loving the update notification.
                                    You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
                                    Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

AK, if it works for you, then it's good.

My analysis is empirical: nearly all the machines that come in with virus damage have NAV installed. I get excellent results with both McAfee Enterprise and Norton Corporate. Neither is intrusive, and both are effective.

I find NIS invasive as hell. I have not yet found a way to punch a whole in the NIS firewall to allow specific SMTP port 25 clients to operate. My medical clients use the Olympus DS-4000 transcription system which has an embedded SMTP mailer for the encrypted files. Norton block this sender. McAfee allows for user-defined exceptions to the Port 25 blocking rules.

Comment

I hate how Norton never completely uninstalls unless you download the Symantec Uninstaller from their website. I don't like paying for anti-virus, so I use either AVG or Anti-Virus-Shield from AOL (well, it's actually Kaspersky). I've liked NOD32, but never liked BitDefender, which for some reason PCMagazine and PCWorld really like. Most of the Corporate versions of any Anti-Virus are okay, because they don't want huge lawsuits and stuff. The Corporate Norton they use at school isn't configured right, like most of the stuff, so it's not that effective against the millions of viruses and trojans we get everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                        X