asus p5b-e busted socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asus p5b-e busted socket

damn i thought i was getting one with a busted pci-e......

nice installation by a client's son......

caps are good though.....fujitsu polymers, KZG, panny FJS, a few small evercon though...
    Attached Files
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: asus p5b-e busted socket

HUH!!??

Could that still be fixed??
    CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
    GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

I've been waiting to see this. Always figured people were gonna bend pins anyway, but a new CPU doesn't mean taking everything apart and reinstalling the OS...

Anyway, hope you can get that fixed alright, Will.
      You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
      Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

it's difficult to see, are all pins bent?

If so could you not just take a metal sheet the size of the socket and bend up a full row of legs at once?
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

here is a full size image for the curious (3mb)
          http://www.yachtmati.com/forumpics/IMG_3207.JPG

i am not sure how it is supposed to look. I think all pins are ok except 9.

still i have to get one of those magnifying headsets cos i cant see shit.

Comment

it doesnt look too bad.bet i could fix that in about 5 min.
            lots of light,good magnifier,and no mountain dew!

Comment

thats not so bad. should be an easy fix.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                i have to get one of those magnifying headsets cos i cant see shit.

After using several cheap magnifying headsets that had eye-ball sucking plastic lenses, I ponyed-up to an OptiVisor with real glass optics. My eyes last an hour easy, with the Opti and maybe 10 minutes with plastic lenses.
                Plus the glass cleans w/o damage.

Comment

Hm i have tried to fix sutch a bent pin in a skt 775 board, but i don`t belive, that you can bent back back sutch a pin. Those pins simply break. May be the quality of the skt. wasn`t any good (Asrock board) but i don`t belive this.

Comment

It might be even possible to solder something to a broken pin, put a CPU in and never remove it again. Haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I think socket 775 pins are like a "Z" shape, so it may be very hard to bend them back up again. I could be wrong about the "Z" shape bit though. I heard off many people that they were a "Z" shape with a ball shape joint at the end which makes contact with the CPU.
                      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Stevo your right, its roughly a z shape with halfed ball like top contact.
                        As mentioned above, i doubth that this could be fixed w/o changing the soket.

Any way, if someone geht`s the job done, i would be pleased to get a brief description of the procedur

Comment

its a challenge?

shitty thing is that i dont have nothing to check this board with...775 cpu, ddr2, or pci-e graphics card.....

Comment

Wow, the inside of a CPU socket... Something else I've never seen, and Badcaps.net has it

You could change the socket, but the problem would probably be finding a new one, since it would be a bitch to take one off another board. Though I would be willing to try it. A couple methods for removal of the broken one come to mind...

You could get a really good desoldering gun with a vaccuum pump and unsolder all the pins one at a time, but that would obviously not be worth the cost.

Could there be a way of disassembling the socket so that each pin could be removed from the board by heating and pulling them out one at a time? I've done this many times with DIP sockets on old boards, but a ZIF socket is a totally different setup.

You could use a heat gun to heat all the pins at once, while isolating the rest of the board from heat with a protective cover, and pull the socket off in one piece.

If a new socket cannot be found, would there be a way to solder a CPU directly where the socket was, and just use the board with that cpu permanently? This wouldn't be so bad, if you get the fastest one the board can handle, and give it some good caps, it will last as long as you have a use for it.

Hope you can find a CPU to test it with soon, I'm looking forward to hearing about how you fixed it. I would say check Ebay, but I've seen CPU's go for more than they are probably worth. In fact I've seen whole computers with ~1.8Ghz P4's sell for a bit more than the price of a CPU

Does anyone have a cross-section view of how a CPU works with a ZIF socket? Do the socket pins contact the tips of the CPU pins, or the sides?

And damn Willa, 4500+ posts?? What do you do for a living that you have so much spare time to browse forums?? Either that or you can type faster than Superman
                            Last edited by Maxxarcade; 04-06-2007, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                              its a challenge?

shitty thing is that i dont have nothing to check this board with...775 cpu, ddr2, or pci-e graphics card.....
                              You can check the CPU functionality by just using a POST card. You'd get some startup codes even without memory or graphics. So the only thing you really have to get is a processor.

Comment

I remember fixing Socket A - some pins were bent and broken. Removed the top plastic cover, desoldered the broken pins and replaced with ones from dead board.
                                But some Sockets478 were SMD, so LGA775 might be too.

Comment

best bet is to carefully straighten the pins.
                                  its bga so not easy to replace.

Comment

Damn, Forgot about the newer stuff being BGA. That's another thing I'd love to get rework equipment for.

Besides finding equipment, replacement parts seem to be nonexistant, or at least not available through a typical distributor. Things like that always have a minimum order quantity of 1,000 or so.

Comment

Actually, I think there's a basic question to consider:

Is that pin actually anything important? It might just be one of a plethora of ground or voltage pins. If so, you maybe could just cut it off and forget about it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X