This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Interesting, the rated amperages are actually under what their rectifying diodes can do, but there is no way they add to 400W.

Actually adds up to 269.7. I would imagine it would probably do that, but thats about it.

Comment

Famous Brand (GT450W)
      seems this noname junker is sold everywhere.
      note the rectifiers.15a at the most?
      there is no rohm part by that number either.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kc8adu; 06-14-2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

no transient filtering!
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Tiger direct's famous brand special?

Just a diablotek. Maybe made by RSY. No real identifying marks.

Comment

epic fail brand?
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

the ce,fcc marks are forged as usual.
              no way this thing would comply.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                I hate it when I tell people this, and they just say "it's working fine, there's nothing wrong with it"

You could strip all safety devices out of your car and it would still go down the motorway at 150Km/h....
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                  epic fail brand?
                  Nah. HongKongFlyApart Company.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_mark

scroll down to the China Export part..

Comment

An HPW-1512B (12V 1.25A) AC plugpack had no current sensing circuit; the only protection is the 2A slow-blow mains fuse. If you're not unusually careful to prevent a short on the output, this fuse can blow, along with the primary side MOSFET (and possibly other components).
                      Inside was a 1000uF 16V CTC KM Series unit (bulged) before the output inductor and 220uF 25V after it. On the primary side was a 1uF 450V Teapo SEK before the input choke after the bridge rectifier with a 22uF 450V CTC KM Series after the input choke.
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge
                        Nah. HongKongFlyApart Company.
                        EPIC WIN!

forgot about that one....

could be worse, it could be a youngyear, they are so cheap that the fans only have 2 screws stock! and guts? non=existant...
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

there is no rohm part by that number either.
                          http://www.rohm.com/products/discret...ery/rf2001t3d/

Good for 20A.

Comment

Is this PSU worth saving? I got in in a junk box and forgot about it until I needed the metal box for another project. I don't think it worked before I got it. Its a ATX PSU with the extra P4 mobo lead. Sadly I didn't write down the wattage values on the sticker before I peeled it off an trashed it.

Since I am trying to get more informed on the inner working of electronics, I am asking you if this one would be worth attempting to fix. It has two bloated 1000uf 16v caps. All of the caps are the "Don" brand - definitely good candidates for the bad cap list. The large IC (SBL304OPT)- i think is the schottky diode, is showing a short across the two outer pins. The PSU is also missing parts on the primary filtering side.

I have another dead PSU that I could scavenge to get the missing parts (coil, capacitor, transformer) for the primary side. So besides the bad caps and schottky, does this unit look like it is worth playing with?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wintech, good for 300W.

The SBL304OPT is probably the schottky for the 5v rail. Wintech does correctly design their psu's, so even though this uses the funky 1 heatsink design, it will do 300W without blowing up. The 3.3v is simply taken from the 5v and regulated down to 3.3v, hence the lack of a third schottky.

http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/d.html#don

Don is a very small capacitor company, no surprise wintech is using them, they like the small factory outfits like topower.
                              Last edited by 370forlife; 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Would you agree that it would be beneficial to bump up the uF on the output side caps if i were going to refurb this one? Maybe take the 1000uF caps up to 2200uf?

Comment

Yeah that would help

Could you show a solder side shot?

Comment

Also, what is supposed to go in the holes marked YC1 - YC4? Bleeder resistors maybe?
                                    Last edited by bluto; 07-18-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Solder side pics
                                      Attached Files

Comment

had a PSU with an almost identical layout. the heatsink was different, a few mods to the layout were made and a "WIN-35P" main transformer..
                                        was full of fuhjyyu and blew the primary side out.. quite literally..

and that's what the primary side filtering is supposed to look like..

left 2pin connector = power in
                                        2 red wires = voltage selector switch
                                        right 2 pin connector = passive PFC

yours doesn't even have a bridge rectifier
                                        looks like they somehow squeezed 4 diodes in where a bridge rectifier was supposed to go.. lol

if mine wasn't full of crapcaps (down to all the tiny ones.. ALL fuhjyyu) and sort of parted out i'd rebuild it.. but i can't really remember what parts i pulled and which one's weren't there when i got it.. so..

Label shot... "slightly" overrated..

Comment

Originally posted by bluto
                                          Also, what is supposed to go in the holes marked YC1 - YC4? Bleeder resistors maybe?
                                          Y capacitors. Blue ceramic type disks that connect from live to ground and neutral to ground.

Comment

Working...
                                          X