Sharp LC60C6400U - 2 long binks, 5 short blinks error code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LC60C6400U - 2 long binks, 5 short blinks error code

Hi, long time browser - first time poster. I got my hands on a Sharp LC60C6400U and from what I could find on youtube similar models of this set have a 12V power regulator that fails called "KIA378R12PI". So I go ahead and order the part, install it and badda-bing my set worked right away. Only a problem - it failed after about 3 hours. So I re-attempted my solder joints and it was back in business, for a couple of days. Failed again with the same error code. I think to myself no worries I have 4 spares since I bought a 5 pack in case anything went wrong. But now after roasting the solder pads away I'm onto my 3rd regulator, the TV is powering on but I am realizing it's getting toasted by something elsewhere in the circuit.

I looked up the power board to replace it but it's no longer being supplied but apparently they still sell repair kits for it on shopjimmy. By the looks of it there could be as many as 16 additional components that need repair to get this sucker back up and running. https://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-runt...rd-repair-kit/

Current voltages of my regulator (going top to bottom) are 28V 25.7V 0V 4.8V

Now these first two numbers seem very high for a 12V regulator so it's just a matter of time before this current fix fries, but that picture looks awesome. No lines, no issues, backlight seems ok. Just need a way to turn it on I think.

Re: Sharp LC60C6400U - 2 long binks, 5 short blinks error code

Can you check what the output current of the regulator is using your meter.

The data sheet indicates the maximum input voltage is 28V but the power dissipation is 1.5W without a heatsink and 15W with an adequate heatsink.

With 28V input to the regulator and 12V output then that's 16V dropped across the regulator and if the current flowing through it was 1 amp then the device would be dissapating 16W.

I would also check any capacitors across the output of the regulator.

Can you put the voltages against the pin names
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dick_barton; 04-07-2021, 03:39 AM.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Looking at Shopjimmy's photos, I think the regulator gets it's supply from either D7130 or D7131 so I would also check those diodes

Photo's courtesy of Shopjimmy
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dick_barton; 04-07-2021, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Before I take my next reading can you help me with my multimeter settings, is this the right spot to have it set on? (I'm a noob)
        Attached Files

Comment

(1) 27.9V
          (2) 25.7V
          (3) 0V (ground)
          (4) 4.8V

D7130 diode measured left of diode - 1.6V right of diode - 3.2V

Thanks for helping. Are these voltages normal? I have a sinking feeling something is damaged causing me to burn up my regulators and I only have 2 left so I'm only turning on the set in short intervals to figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Noobwithamultimeter View Post
            Before I take my next reading can you help me with my multimeter settings, is this the right spot to have it set on? (I'm a noob)
            Your neter is set to 200V AC (~ = AC) and needs to be set to DC voltage

Comment

DC voltage is the V with the flat and dotted line underneath it.
              The results in post #5 look as though the device is already damaged with the output voltage almost equal to the input voltage and not 12V as it should be.

If you solder a new regulator in then measure the output boltage (12V DC) and also how hot the heatsink becomes.
              Is the replacement regulator an all plastic body?
              Last edited by dick_barton; 04-08-2021, 04:53 AM.

Comment

The replacement regulator is all plastic and it's the third one I've tried. The last one tested at 26-28V as well. The part was new, but I'm worried about causing more damage to the board's solder pads as I'm quickly running out of good material to work with. From the youtube videos I've seen the input should be 13.3V and the output should be 12V or so. I don't have a laser thermometer to check the temp.

Comment

After switching my multimeter to 200V AC now the readings are correct!

(1) 13.0V
                  (2) 12V
                  (3) 0V
                  (4) 2.5V

I'm REALLY just crossing my fingers that both previous attempts were simply bad soldering on my part but I have the sneaking suspicion that the regulators are failing. Only time will tell as I am going to use the TV as if nothing is wrong starting tonight and I will monitor the temp. Since I have the back off the TV I will run a small fan pointing at it as I go.

Comment

You mean switching your meter to 200V DC, don't you.

I would be keeping an eye on just how hot the heatsink it is attached to reaches.

Comment

I do, I'm a noob remember. I should get a laser thermometer.

Comment

I applied fresh thermal compound (white silicone same as before) and tightened the screw.

Comment

Here I am again, television was working great until today. Failed, screen went black with sound on, turned it back on and it was fine until it failed again with 2 blinks, 5 long.

Anyone have a theory on this? Mine is the following: one or more LEDs are burned out and the remaining voltage fluctuates on the power board causing the fresh regulator I have installed to fail. Ultimately I will have to check the regulator, and led strip which is a major pain with no guarantee of success since panel damage is possible when you attempt this.

I have ran the tv with no issues for 106 hours on the new regulator. Then it stopped working suddenly. Also I have been running the backlight at half brightness the whole time but I do notice when the tv turns on it is FULL brightness then lowers it which annoys me since that's probably not great for those tiny leds which are destined to fail.

Comment

Does regulator get hot during operation?
                            If yes, try to measure current. Disconnect pin1, then set multimeter to amps, then connect one probe to pin1 pad on PCB and another to pin1 of IC . Then turn on TV and make sure you hold the probes.

Comment

You likely have a bad panel, Disconnect the T-Con from the panel (Flat cables) and see if the tv comes on with backlight.

Comment

Sounds like it's an LCLE60xxxxxx. (LED back light)
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  You likely have a bad panel, Disconnect the T-Con from the panel (Flat cables) and see if the tv comes on with backlight.
                                  How would you account for me being able to use it for 206 hours on and off without issue then all of the sudden panel is bad? I will try the t-con trick and let you know. As for the values of the regulator, it is

(1) 13.19V
                                  (2) 12.14
                                  (3) 0V (ground)
                                  (4) 2.68V

Comment

Backlight hour count when I got the set was 3626h, then I installed a new KIA378R12PI. Now it's at 3763h. Is this honestly all consumers can expect to get out of their LED strips? This is pathetic. Why don't people demand longer lasting TVs? I looked up this model and when it was new it retailed for $1399.

Comment

People don't want longer lasting TV's they want CHEAP! That's all I heard when 42" plasma's were $9,000, "I'll wait till the price comes down before I buy one" Well you get what you wish for.
                                      TV's should be like the auto industry, You could by a really good car for $5,000, now they are 50,000
                                      A 60" lcd tv should be the same, price should be $20,000 that way they could use better components.
                                      Last edited by R_J; 04-25-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah but I had a 2008 plasma right up until last year, all I ever had to replace were 4 capacitors one time. These LEDS are a joke. And super inconvenient to get at. They should make one with an access port right along the bottom that snaps off so you can slide a new one directly in. I'm tempted to rig one in myself but probably not worth the time to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                        X