This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

I don't remember the model number, and I'd have to pull it out of a computer and disassemble it. I think it'll be okay in the computer that it's in. This looks like the same PSU as the Advanced Electronics I posted a few months ago, the one with the 100uF 16V cap on the 5VSB rail. I guess that suspended Su'scon was their solution

Comment

Supermicro pws-465-pq

So this PSU was in a server that got a ton of use. 52,186 hours of use to be exact. The server would randomly shut down or restart once a week. The motherboard had loads of bad KZG and KZJ, and they opted to NOT have me recap their board, just replace the power supply despite my recommendation to have me recap the board as well. So I got this as a toy...yay

I was amazed to see that none of the Ltec LYZ were bulging. Especially since this PSU has a semi-fanless mode. When I recapped it, all the LYZ caps tested good, even on the 5VSB. The only caps that tested bad were the Ltec TK and ST on the controller boards. All the caps were Ltec except that one 150uF 450V Chemi-Con PAG cap on the primary. The other cap on the primary was an Ltec TYS 120uF 450V, which only read 82uF, so I replaced it with a Lelon RGA 120uF 400V.

Unfortunately, I did not write down most of the specs. But I do remember that those two bridge rectifiers are 8A, and the 12V uses two 40A schottky's. The Delta fan is quiet......for a Delta

Overall, I thought this was a really interesting PSU. I think Acbel did a pretty good job.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pentium4; 01-11-2015, 12:49 AM.

Comment

...Dare I ask if that lone Teapo SEK startup capacitor (that was) on the primary was still in spec?
        Last edited by Wester547; 01-11-2015, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Oh, right! I forgot about that Teapo SEK. No, it was not in spec. It was 30% out of capacitance range

Comment

2 more PSUs and yet again my camera decides to be a complete idiot and turn off before even taking a pic.

First one is a 400W Delux - BH primaries (I don't care about them as long as they work),and a whole forest of 'em on the secondary with one bulger. Small heatsinks and EI-33 transformer. Turns on but I think it's quite weak for a Skt478 P4,HD3450 AGP and a HDD,either that or it's because of the secondary caps.

Second one - 220W Rexpower PX-400 - this one looks quite good,and the heatsinks are a bit bigger than the Delux. Noname primaries (again,as long as they don't pop it's fine) and Yang Chun (Saturn shaped YC logo) secondaries. It doesn't work due to a 470uf bulger.

I will try charging the camera and try providing you some pictures after recap.
            Last edited by Dan81; 01-11-2015, 06:04 AM.
            Main rig:
            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
            Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
            16GB DDR3-1600
            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
            FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
            120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
            Delux MG760 case

Comment

and Yang Chun (Saturn shaped YC logo) secondaries.
              Really? I've never seen KME use those before. Have seen them use different YC caps before though

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Really? I've never seen KME use those before. Have seen them use different YC caps before though
                Really. I just saw their logo on the secondary side when I was removing the bulging 470uf 16v cap on the 5VSB section.
                I had no problems with Yang Chun though,and that's with quite a few PSUs such as Sun Pro,Deer and now KME. The only bulger in the entire PSU was a 470uf 16v noname cap next to the transformers,which I assume is the 5VSB section. The primaries are also noname,but as long as they don't go I don't need to worry.

Now it's powering a 90w Northwood,a HD3450 512MB AGP,Liteon DVD drive and a 80GB WDC SATA HDD.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Hmm, weird. I think you should post some pictures before the recap, did you charge your camera?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    Hmm, weird. I think you should post some pictures before the recap, did you charge your camera?
                    Good news and (quite)bad news for you:

Good - I got the camera to work.

Bad - I can't get to the KME PSU until tomorrow. However,here are 2 shots of the Delux PSU. Sorry for the second one being blurry but my LCD is cracked so I can't know if it's focused or not.

Anyways,here are they. (BTW the grey cap in the second picture is a Yang Chun cap that I used to replace the bulging cap in it.)

Transformer in both PSUs are EI-33.

And yes, it has a -5v rail

EDIT:Not my pic but here's a shot of another Rexpower PSU that is close to mine (sans the black case,mine's white). Take a closer look and you'll spot the Yang Chun cap.(HINT - it's the third cap next to the big torroid)

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Dan81; 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

^
                      Those really belong in the Hall of Shame. Complete junk.

btw, I'm pretty sure that those caps are actually 12KuangJin (the ones with the CS logo), not Yang Chun. Only Solytech uses Yang Chun caps.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, he has mistaken CS for YC before, it's okay

The rexpower looks very similar to this PSU I worked on: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=851

It works surprisingly well with a system that has been running for 11 months 24/7 now. Pentium 4 Northwood 2.26GHz, x2 DDR sticks, single IDE hard drive + DVD drive. All the rails are stable, but the thing is terribly inefficient, even AFTER adding another 12V rectifier on the secondary AND changing out the dummy load resistors with higher values. The secondary heatsink and coil get to over 40C with just a 55W load
                        Last edited by Pentium4; 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                          Only Solytech uses Yang Chun caps.
                          Actually,I've seen Sun Pro use them as well. At least my old Sun Pro unit had a forest of them,along with 2 Fuhhjyyu. And I actually trust those unless they're in a Deer.

Regarding the Rexpower,I found out it's CS. Right now I replaced two of 'em,one with a 1500uf 16v KY and the other with a 1000uf 16v Panny FJ,but that's as far as I went,as it's a royal pain to replace them,because they're crowded each other next to the ATX wires,and because I don't have suitable replacements.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

I found several "DTK PTP-4017P" PSUs in my basement last week that were left over when assembling some desktop systems a couple of years ago. They are rated 400W have passive PFC and have never been used.

Why not give them a chance today and use them in some low power consuming systems?

So I opened one up and the build quality didn´t seem too bad.
                            Only Problem: All capacitors are Fuhiyyus
                            So I did a recap using only Panasonic FR, Rubycon ZLJ and Nichicons.
                            I wonder who made These PSUs for DTK...
                            Attached Files

Comment

is that a casing macron unit?

But from the looks of the heatsinks it reminds one of older Enermax or even Super Flower units...

Comment

It definitely looks like a Casing Macron.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The "MP" text on the transformers gives it away - it's a Casing Macron indeed. Also, the layout looks exactly like my MPT-301, so I'm pretty sure it is a Macron.

Good save! I assure you these will be able to handle even something more than a "low end" system. Just make sure the 12V rail rectifier is good enough. Also, the 200V Fuhjyyu caps on the primary are probably fine. I know Fuhjyyu is not a good brand, but their high voltage caps are okay. I haven't seen any problems with them, at least. The ones in my MPT-301 are still in spec.

Comment

I love that platform

Comment

NICE! Yours got the bigger heatsinks. I love that platform too. It performs well for half bridge, which c-hegge's review proved. He even pulled 19.5A from the 16A rectifier on his, and it had a smaller secondary heatsink. Does yours use two 16A rectifiers in parallel on the 12V?

Here is his review on the MPT-301: http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/the-2...ply-roundup/7/

Side note: How did that thing manage 350W with 10A switchers when some 12A 13009's can't even always make it to 350W?

Comment

I suspect that the primary caps may limit it just as much as the switchers. The Macron had 680uF there, while the others had 470uF. I didn't have my tester when I did the Aywun A1-3000, but since they were clearly not genuine NCC parts, I wouldn't be surprised if the capacitance was also overstated.

Comment

So, do you think with big enough heatsinks, and 1000uF or 1200uF caps, 13009's could manage 400W continuous?

Comment

Working...
                                          X