Ubiquiti US-16-150 Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubiquiti US-16-150 Help

Got this dead Unifi US-16-150W, assuming it was the power supply. Alas the PSU and everything looks perfect and the PSU is outputting a solid 53V.

I noticed that upon disconnecting then reconnecting the 4-pin connector from the PSU to the switch's mainboard it makes quite a spark. More than I would expect. So I got curious, took the mainboard out, and found the bottom to be like this.

Is this water damage? Or something else? Should I try to clean it off? Or is it toast?
    Attached Files

Re: Liquid damage or somethign else?

Try cleaning up with denatured alcohol and see if you can clean or use a good flux remover spray I have clean a few boards with a flux remover spray

https://www.mpja.com/Flux-Remover-41...info/30364+MG/

It might be water stains but I not completely sure about this
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-20-2021, 01:41 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

thats residue from water soluable flux,
      the factory isnt changing the water often enough.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks, do you think there is any point in cleaning it? Or is something else wrong with it?

Comment

Re: Ubiquiti US-16-150 Help

Alright, so I did a little testing.

I've attached a couple pictures. I have a solid 24V across the purple caps. This is probably the circuit for the 24V Passive PoE function.

More important, in the other pic across the two points right below the pink dot I have fluctuating 0 to 3.3V. I'm assuming this is a/the problem.

What can I check to see why the 3.3V is fluctuating like that?
          Attached Files

Comment

Most likely something is shorted and the power supply is hiccuping: that is it senses the short, powers down and then tries again...
            Some times such a short can be found by a thermal camera (or hand) or you can use a very sensitive multimeter in ohms mode.
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
              Most likely something is shorted and the power supply is hiccuping: that is it senses the short, powers down and then tries again...
              Some times such a short can be found by a thermal camera (or hand) or you can use a very sensitive multimeter in ohms mode.
              Hmm, thing is the power supply is happily at 53.7V with absolutely no fluctuating the entire time.

Comment

I mean on the secondary side, the 3.3v power supply.
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Probably there are no shorts on the 3.3V rail. I think there is something else that gets powered from the 3.3V rail that shorts out when powered up. Check the other buck converters. Power the 3.3V up with a bench power supply and see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                    Probably there are no shorts on the 3.3V rail. I think there is something else that gets powered from the 3.3V rail that shorts out when powered up. Check the other buck converters. Power the 3.3V up with a bench power supply and see what happens...
                    Hmm, OK, I'll have to rig something up.

In the meantime, I found this bubble on one of the BCM59111KMLG chips. It's supposedly a 60W PoE controller. Is this normal? Or bubbles=bad?
                    Attached Files

Comment

That chip is the problem I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                        That chip is the problem I'd say.
                        Thank you, I will see what I can do. I wonder if it's going to be really hard to remove lol.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                          Hmm, OK, I'll have to rig something up.

In the meantime, I found this bubble on one of the BCM59111KMLG chips. It's supposedly a 60W PoE controller. Is this normal? Or bubbles=bad?
                          It's dead Jim. That's a burn mark alright. Look also at the discoloration on the PCB around it.

Speaking of removal, depending on the power of your hot air station, you may need to use some sort of preheater or hotplate, that chip is a QFN with a large heat dissipation pad underneath.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Shouldn’t be that hard to remove. You can always preheat the board, then take it off with hot air gun.

Comment

It's easy peasy if you preheat, just don't be surprised if a cheapo chinese SMD rework station alone won't cut it.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                It's easy peasy if you preheat, just don't be surprised if a cheapo chinese SMD rework station alone won't cut it.
                                it better be good enough because that's what i ordered haha. i will update once i've tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  so, i got my cheapo smd rework station and it worked perfectly to remove the chip.

i was hoping i'd get at least some sign of life now that the chip is removed and presumably the short is too.

unfortunately its still dead. what can i check now :'(

Comment

check for shorted ceramic caps near the dead chip area.

Comment

Check your wonky power rail. See what it does now?

Comment

Working...
                                      X