Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus Z370-F Strix Gaming - Bent pins - Not powering up

Hi guys,

I've got this nice mobo with some CPU bent pins.

Made it to put them back to their position, but one of them was too twisted and broke down.
    Anyways none of them are shorting together now.

I had a i3-8100, a DDR4 2400mhz 8GB stick and a power supply, so gave it a try. Power led of the mobo is orange, but when shorting PWR pins, no joy

Made some quick random measurements, 3.3V is present in the PWR button pins, I can see 5V also present.
    Measured around SIO chip and 3v are present in some caps.

Im not sure if board should start even without CPU and ram connected, but I gave it a try and also no joy.

For those who could have more experience with these mobos, do you consider this a waste of time and just keep it for parts?

The ROG leds also turn on when power is connected as you can see on the pics.
    Also Ive marked the bent pins zone, and in smaller red circle the broken pin.

Power led is orange, and the 4 leds in green rectangle (boot,cpu,ram,gpu) dont turn on at all in any moment.

Garbage?
    Or should I try something else?

Thanks guys!
    Attached Files

Re: Asus Z370-F Strix Gaming - Bent pins - Not powering up

I can't tell what it is. Either VCCPLL or the one under it that I can't read

https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/a/a...in_diagram.png

anyways, no, it won't boot without the cpu/gpu (same thing in this case) or memory
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

needs a new socket,
      in my experience the pins dont actually bend - they just come off the pcb pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
        I can't tell what it is. Either VCCPLL or the one under it that I can't read

https://en.wikichip.org/w/images/a/a...in_diagram.png

anyways, no, it won't boot without the cpu/gpu (same thing in this case) or memory
        Thanks for the inputs.

What I wanted to know is if the board should fire up without CPU on it.
        As it does not turn on with or without CPU on this case...
        If it does not turn on at all without it, I will still invest time on it.

Thanks!

Comment

I see this question asked way too many times: can a motherboard be tested without a CPU?
          - NO

Testing a motherboard without CPU and RAM is absolutely pointless - it will tell you nothing about the working condition (or lack thereof) of the motherboard. Always install CPU (with heatsink/cooler!) and RAM as a minimum. Graphics card too if no integrated video.

And speaking of heatsinks - your chipset needs one! Running the board without it will surely burn it out.
          Last edited by momaka; 04-13-2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            I see this question asked way too many times: can a motherboard be tested without a CPU?
            - NO

Testing a motherboard without CPU and RAM is absolutely pointless - it will tell you nothing about the working condition (or lack thereof) of the motherboard. Always install CPU (with heatsink/cooler!) and RAM as a minimum. Graphics card too if no integrated video.

And speaking of heatsinks - your chipset needs one! Running the board without it will surely burn it out.
            actually some specific newer motherboards can get to the cmos settings without a cpu, but it can't do a proper post without one

Comment

I would say testing without RAM is useful too: the board should produce a beep code to say there is no RAM installed.
              While having bad/wrong type of RAM can make the board unable to produce that beep code.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                I would say testing without RAM is useful too: the board should produce a beep code to say there is no RAM installed.
                While having bad/wrong type of RAM can make the board unable to produce that beep code.
                You're right.
                I do actually use that trick once in a while when a board powers up but doesn't want to POST. The thing is, not all boards will produce a beep code with no RAM (certain HP OEM boards, for example... IIRC.)

Comment

The RAM not being seated properly is often the cause of a mute motherboard. (when symptom resembles a dead CPU) (no bleeping at all)

Common with my Asus socket 775 motherboards.....
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-18-2020, 06:45 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

do pci-e diagnostic cards still work with these new heavily customized bioses?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      needs a new socket,
                      in my experience the pins dont actually bend - they just come off the pcb pad.
                      Not always. I did revive a Supermicro PDSGE board (Pentium 4 775) with bent pins with some careful sewing needle work. The CPU falsely reported as a P4 Extreme edition (on the bios splash screen), but otherwise, it ran great for years until an unrelated chipset heatsink mod failed and burnt said chip

I say try it, what's there to loose?
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                      X