Need new part for microwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need new part for microwave

Hi, my microwave quit working today after my daughter made something and i think i found the problem. i am enclosing a few pics of what i "THINK" is a thermal fuse.......it has "KSD1" .....and "160/" on the front of it....but i am not sure what this means or where to buy it.

when i measure across this device it measures an "open" so i and i think it should be a short......

thoughts on where i can get a replacement device?
    thoughts on if this is thermal fuse and should measure a short?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Welchs101; 04-11-2022, 04:35 PM.

Re: Need new part for microwave

It's a bimetal thermal switch. It should open up if what it's mounted on gets too hot. It should close again when what it's mounted on cools.

On eBay, https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...22aefafcdb677e
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Bimetal thermostat type KSD

Response temperature: 160 +/- 5 °С
      Temperature : release -130 +/- 15 °С
      Switching scheme : SPST NC - normally closed contact
      Working voltage : 250V
      Rated current : 10 A

Comment

You should be able to find one at an appliance repair shop, or on line KSD1-160
        It should reset but is likely defective, for a temporary fix, try taping the silver part with a screwdriver handle or similar, then check if it reset, this might get it going until you get a new part.

Comment

think its ok to buy this used one?
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/15493592052...IAAOSwKOdiTayW

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
            Why buy a used part, here
            https://www.buyspares.com/thermostat...pl?pid=1906318 about $9.00 for the part, and $9.00 shipping

I'm sure there are lots of other sources, check locally, it should be a common part
            Last edited by R_J; 04-11-2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

i checked this morning at my local appliance parts store and they said they dont sell that particular part so i am going to have to order it online.

?SHould i do as someone suggested where i short out the current bad part just to make sure that the microwave will turn on?

Thoughts?

Comment

You could do this BUT I would not recommend that you run it in the bypass mode other than just for testing it
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

ok so i shorted the thermal switch and power returned to microwave........so thats the good news.

so now i am trying find the part. i prefer not to use ebay just because its ebay and i have had issues with it in the past. i have also had really good experiences but when they are bad its hard to get money back. anyway, i was wondering if its possible to identify the manufacturer for the KSD1 160 part?

Any ideas?

Comment

quick question for you all.

Do you think the "/" in the 160/ is important. The reason i ask is i have found some replacements where what is shown on the "lid" has the 160 but no "/"

i finally found the actual part number and its WB27X11210
                    https://www.geapplianceparts.com/sto...pec/WB27X11210

if you go on ge's web site and sure enough this part , which is kinda expensive relative to how much a new machine costs, has the "/" .......so i am just wondering if the parts that have 160 but no "/" if they will really work or not

thoughts?

Comment

The / is not important, KSD1 is the series 160 is the temperature rating. Do you really want to pay $50.00 + s&h for it?

Some are listed kds1.160, kds1/160, kds1-160

Comment

no i dont want to pay ~ $50 for the "/" part since i can buy a brand new microwave for ~ $150.........

But paying say $15 for a part and seeing if this works is fine.......so i may do this but only if the "non /" part is the same as the one that has the "/"..........

any idea why it has the "/" on some parts and not on others?

Comment

I do not know why some put a slash on the end, normally it is between the ksd1/160 to separate the part series from the temperature rating, that's all.
                          If it was made in China or some other country like it, they sometimes mark things different,

Comment

Working...
                          X