• Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2007FPB teardown

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
    It's written on them, http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-smd-code/

The first two are 2700 and, uh, 75k?
    Thanks alot ..
    I would also like to know the value of capacitors in the picture
    Last edited by elsayed; 04-26-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

That could be kinda tricky, we could only guesstimate. Or somebody with the same display can possibly desolder one and measure.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I am curious, are the parts in that section damaged or missing?
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

If there was the silicone, I would guess maybe damaged
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
            I am curious, are the parts in that section damaged or missing?
            The parts are damaged

Comment

In my case (2007FPB) it was R50 on the USB board that was open. Labeled as 01C (10K Ohm).

Managed to pull one of the pads off when I was desoldering the resistor, but there is another spot just next to the pad I was able to get to.

Not sure why Dell felt the need to gunk up this area with the silicone. Would have been a TON easier to troubleshoot without it.

Threw a 1/4watt 10k in the spot and everything appears to be back to normal.

Yes these are old monitors, but they're still a good looking unit for doing standard office work. I've got 2 of them, one left and one right of a 24" Apple somethingorother (got it free, also a nice monitor)
              Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to remove the white glue?

Comment

You just have to carefully scrape it off with something plastic. There's not much else that will do it. I don't think there's any chemical that would take care of it and not hurt the board.

Comment

Thanks. Rubbing alcohol didn't do anything. Was thinking of applying a caulk remover. This stuff is on there pretty good. Hard to believe I can get it clean enough to see what's underneath. Just assumed somebody found an easy solution.

Comment

My favourite tool - dental explorer - works fine

Comment

My second 2007FPB took a dump earlier today. Immediately went to the resistors and there were 3 of them pretty far out of spec, a 2.7k 47k and 75k. Oddly the 10k's that were bad on my other monitor showed fine. I'll have to look at the pictures I took to see if the boards are different. But its back up and running like it should be.

I do know my eyes and hands are getting too old to deal with SMD stuff with the equipment I have on hand...that's for sure.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell 2007FPb and found this thread with others experiencing my issue. My monitor turns on for about a half a second before the screen turns black. This is in the self test mode also. I took it apart and did not find any bulging or leaking capacitors. I tried replacing the 272 resistor others had mentioned in this thread, but it did not work and my symptoms are the same. Additionally I did not have a dielectric white blob on my board when I opened it like others have seen. See the last picture where I almost exactly copied someone earlier in this thread with a 1 W resistor.

I don't really know where to go from here. I really love this monitor, it was my favorite monitor because it was so bright and crisp and sharp colors. I would REALLY like to get it working. I have a multimeter, but I have never used one before, and it's a cheap harbor freight one. I don't know if it is up to the task but I will measure anything anyone asks me to measure and report back. Does anyone have any ideas please? I have included pictures front and back of all four of my boards below. Thank you so much for your time.

To try to fix this issue I have reviewed all of this thread and also a similar thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8603
                          Attached Files

Comment

Does it shut down completely, or just the backlight?

Comment

Does it shut down completely, or just the backlight?
                              I reassembled it just to test. Self test comes on for half a second, and then the screen goes black. The power light and the number 2 light stay lit. It does not appear to be backlit, and when I shine my mobile phone light on the screen I don't see anything. I ordered another multimeter on Amazon and expect it to arrive tomorrow. Thank you for responding.

Comment

Phone's usually not enough, there are two polarisation filters 90° against each other so almost no light comes through, you need some strong light to se. However if the indicator LEDs are on, likely just the backlight is the problem.

Comment

What should I do or check next?

Comment

Check the secondary sides of those three inverter transformers, if all six have the same (within 1-2 %) resistance.

Comment

Check the secondary sides of those three inverter transformers, if all six have the same (within 1-2 %) resistance.
                                      I had no clue what you meant, and several YouTube videos later... lol (I like this though, I’m learning!)
                                      Chip 1 - 878 and 1037
                                      Chip 2 - 1029 and 1029
                                      Chip 3 - 1020 and 1017
                                      Last edited by Muggz; 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

If that's correct, first transformer's busted, that's what's making the driver shut down.

Comment

Thanks! I wasn't sure how to look up and order transformers. It doesn't seem to be as easy as resistors. So I picked up an inverter board for $12 off of eBay. It should arrive in a week and hopefully I can pull one of the transformers off of that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X