The 2021 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2021 Operating System Thread

As usual, vote the OS on whatever would be considered your 'main' system....we'll see how many Se7en users we've lost compared to last year...
    Windows 10
    0%
    Windows 8/8.1
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista or older (to include XP, W2K,or older MS OS)
    0%
    Mac OS/OSX
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux (brag on your distro in a post)
    0%
    PC's are for old geezers, I don't use one anymore...I'm a phone monkey
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2021 Operating System Thread

My primary OS at home is Windows7. At work is Windows10 and I am thinking of replacing it with Windows7.
    I also found a way to activate Windows 10 offline.
    Anything older than Windows7 does not support new software.
    Also, Microsoft released WindowsServer HyperV only as a free software. No GUI, but newer client versions of Windows have integrated management consoles for this, so GUI is not required. You do not need any activation. I never expected that Microsoft will ever release anything as freebie.
    Last edited by televizora; 01-01-2021, 10:36 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I have one copy of Win7 and now it's completely useless to me, I might well delete and reallocate it to...

Linux...

Odd that Wine works and Win7 does not, then again the particular windows software keeps updating and forces people to update their OS too *sigh*.

And hooray my win8 tablet lives again after apparently the PMIC got confused... crap design... Alas Linux support for the tablet last checked was pretty poor.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
        I have one copy of Win7 and now it's completely useless to me, I might well delete and reallocate it to...
        What is this software, if this is not a secret?
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Need an Option for other/mixed. Not counting officially retired/unusable systems:

Workstations (four of them, all dual Xeon or Opteron), Kitchen AIO, and work Laptop (Company Provided Latitude Rugged): windows 10
          Main Laptop (Latitude E6430): Arch Linux + windows 7 x64
          Travel Laptop (Thinkpad T440): Arch Linux (Posting from it!)
          Spare laptop (Modded Asus X83V): Arch Linux + Windows 10
          Spare laptop (Latitude D630): Arch Linux + Windows 7 x64 + Windows XP x32
          Church AV laptop (Thinkpad T41): Windows 7 x64
          Church AV Systems: (Acer Veriton for slideshows, a 2007 iMac for video, and a late model Powemac G5 for audio): Windows 10, Mac OSX El Captain, Mac OSX Leopard (respectively)
          Bay Trail Tablets (Asus Transformer T200TA and an HP 8" ???): Modded Windows 8.1
          Wife's Mostly Disused laptop (Dell inspiron 17" ???): Windows 7
          Server: Debian Linux (CLI only)
          Work VDI account: windows 7 (need to ask IT about upgrading it to 10).

Yep, one hot mess
          Last edited by ratdude747; 01-01-2021, 12:17 PM.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

bay trail lol. I have some fanless laptops that use that poor SOC
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              bay trail lol. I have some fanless laptops that use that poor SOC
              Compared to the older atoms, these actually kick ass. Quite capable chips actually.

That said, they'll likely be semi-retired now that I'm running a dedicated truck (travel) laptop. Not as powerful as my main laptop (can't really run minecraft), but slimmer and more streamlined. Bought it for peanuts off a buddy who was having a hard time flipping it (cosmetically skunked, but functional).
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I also have a mix.

Main desktop: Windows 10
                "Good" laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad P53): Windows 10 (maybe Linux in the future)
                POS laptop (Toshiba Satellite L750): Windows 7 and Lubuntu
                Other POS laptop (HP Pavilion ze1210): Windows XP and some ancient version of Ubuntu
                Other POS laptop (Gateway Solo 2500): Windows 98SE
                Old desktop (upgraded Compaq Presario 2286): Windows 98 "First Edition"

I was going to give the Toshiba laptop to my mom because she asked me for advice on new laptops under $300. I think she would be better off with it if she doesn't want to spend more. When (or if) she actually claims it, I will be free of Windows 7.

Comment

Main computer, Main Office Computer, the disk handler system/media player, and on-the-go laptop: Debian Testing
                  APCUPSD Server: Debian 10
                  Fileserver: Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS
                  Spare gaming rig, main laptop: Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
                  Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                  RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                  Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                  - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                  - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                  - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                  - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    Need an Option for other/mixed.
                    Same, I voted Win-10 since my two most heavily used systems (New work laptop and Main personal laptop) are now on 10, but I have a mix of both 10 and 7 and some Linux as well.

New work laptop (HP Z-Book Studio G5): Windows 10 Enterprise.
                    Old work laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T450): Windows 7 Enterprise (with paid extended support, eventually I'm supposed to send this back in, but I still have it for certain programs pending some software issues on my new Laptop).
                    Main Personal Laptop (Dell Precision M4800): Windows 10 Professional.
                    Main Desktop (Custom Built, I7-4790 and GTX1070): Windows 7 Professional.
                    Personal Travel Laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430): Windows 7 Professional.
                    Secondary Desktop (Dell Precision T3500): Windows 7 Professional
                    Main (living room) Media Center (Custom Built, C2D E8500 and Radeon HD5830): Windows XP SP3
                    Secondary (master bedroom) Media Center (Dell OptiPlex 790 SFF): Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Of course I have more "experimental" and "retro" systems, but these are the ones used on a somewhat regular basis.
                    Last edited by dmill89; 01-01-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                      As usual, vote the OS on whatever would be considered your 'main' system....we'll see how many Se7en users we've lost compared to last year...
                      Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      Need an Option for other/mixed. Not counting officially retired/unusable systems:

Main Laptop (Latitude E6430): Arch Linux + windows 7 x64
                      yeah i think the issue here is that some of us here have dual booting OSes on our main rigs, so what do we vote for if that is the case? the OS we use most often or the OS we use mainly on our main rigs?

Comment

I mostly use windows 7, I have a hard drive with windows 10 which I swap in once in a while just to update it, which it is doing now (kb4592438) downloading and installing for the last 2 hours.( its at 47%) It still has kb4586876 pending. This is why I don't like windows 1.0
                        So I am using my trusty windows XP computer to enter this.
                        Last edited by R_J; 01-01-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I have a selection of systems here as well...
                          Main rendering and home desktop: win7
                          Surveillance system: win7 (isolated from the net)
                          Spare laptop: win8
                          Wife's laptop: win8
                          Ancient netbook: Q4OS
                          Main work machine: win10
                          Secondary work machines: OSX Catalina, Ubuntu 20.04

Comment

Both Ryzen rigs: Windows 10 2004

The socket 1366 rig, which of course has a first-gen Core i7: Windows 7 SP1
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

My E7400 is still running Vista with good old Firefox 52.9.0 ESR.

The number of websites that still load on Firefox 52 is slowly diminishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                I have some sites, that load only on Firefox52.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                                  I've noticed this with 56.x ESR as well. Mostly banking and higher security sites.

FWIW, my main rig (office system) is still running W7. No plans to change that....it has so much crap on it that I use all the time, a migration would be a huge disaster.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                    FWIW, my main rig (office system) is still running W7. No plans to change that....it has so much crap on it that I use all the time, a migration would be a huge disaster.
                                    If you are adventurous person, you can try upgrading?

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                      I'm not that adventurous.

...and well, I'm still getting security updates for 7 on this machine...even after that ends, I'll still roll with it a little longer. This machine being out of service would be a big mess in the event of an upgrade explosion. When 7 first came out, I couldn't stand it....then came SP1 for it, which fixed all the really quirky crap, and I warmed up to it. 10 has been out for ~6yrs, I still haven't warmed up to it yet.... If it were a Fisher-Price toy, it'd be called "My first operating system"....but I will say, it functions decent. All the privacy issues is my biggest gripe with 10. Yes, I know if one is clever enough, they can make it shut up.....but what pisses me off is that I have to even do that in the first place.
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by televizora View Post
                                        Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                        I'm not that adventurous.

X2, most "in-place" upgrades I've seen from 7 to 10 ended up being a total disaster. They did a ton of them at work and most people I know who got one ended up having to spend half a day on with the service desk (people who had been involved with hundreds of these upgrades who knew what they likely issues would be and how to fix them) to fix all the issues afterwards (luckily I had incompatible software on my machine so I stayed on 7 until my laptop came up for replacement, as noted in my previous post I still have my old laptop for these specific programs as well, though that is a temporary solution, eventually they'll either get them working on 10 or give me a non-internet connected win 7 VDI for those programs since they really want to end paid support to Microsoft by 2022 and per our policies an unsupported OS can't be connected to the internet for security reasons).

With both my new work laptop and main personal laptop these were new machines (in the case of the personal laptop off-lease, but new to me) with fresh windows 10 installs and aside from all the windows 10 "annoyances" I haven't had any issues.

I've been holding off upgrading my main desktop for the same reasons Topcat lists, I know an in place upgrade would end up being a disaster with all the software it has on it, so I would need to do a fresh install (and reinstall everything else that is on it) which will be a giant pain in the butt that I will likely put off as long as possible (until 3rd party software support gets to the point it is unusable).
                                        Last edited by dmill89; 01-02-2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X